• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Are prices still climbing or have they eased up a bit???
43 43

7,152 posts in this topic

Something to consider is that there are collectors with very high incomes who are asking themselves, what should I do with the next $1 (or really $10,000 or $50,000) that I take home?  If you're not feeling great about the stock market -- personally I still don't think it's hit bottom so it doesn't (yet) feel like the right time to buy low -- then putting the money into comics or other hobbies / alternative investments could be a very attractive option.

Assuming this is happening, it would help to explain why the blue chip books continue to hold their value.

On 10/15/2022 at 2:22 PM, Thisisrequired said:

People have been asking those concerns for the last 12 years. Other questions to ask are how many kids who watched these movies and shows will start buying books when they get jobs? How many of them will get into comics for investment? I believe more people come into hobby than are leaving it. 

I would have agreed 1-2 years back but most of the multitude of 2020-2021 bandwagon jumpers are exiting en mass from the hobby.  Those outgoing huge numbers are not being replaced by the trickle in compression that is coming in.  The folks leaving were a huge catalyst in causing high pop bronze-copper-modern books to sublimate. It may be decades before that is seen again just like the gap from the 1993/1994 to 2020/2021

As always my opinion is not directed towards Silver/Atomic/Gold nor outliers nor hot books de jour.

Edited by MAR1979

On 10/15/2022 at 7:33 AM, KCOComics said:

I'm not sure I follow. We have seen many key comics lose around 1/3rd of their value in the past 6 months or so. 

Not we. I knew that extreme price increase from the surplus of money from  being locked down wasn't sustainable. Intelligent collectors didn't lose any value at all because they weren't buying. Bonus pro tip. Don't buy the book before the movie. 

Also seems those values went down before the recession. If we are even in a recession. Didn't they try to change it and spin it so we aren't. 

On 10/15/2022 at 7:33 AM, KCOComics said:

They def dipped in 2008 and certainly in the early 90s.  I won a ton of books on eBay in 08 /09 for great deals..  I was 26 at the time and big keys had always seemed like a pipe dream. But that was a memorable intersection between having a good enough job to buy key books and prices dropping to where I could afford them.

Congratulations on being the worlds luckiest smartest greatest buyer of comics. The overstreet market reports from those years and gpa say different. 

So is it time to start buying comics back or should I wait for further decreases? 

Ps time to ease off statues, action figures, and cards now I guess lol 

On 10/15/2022 at 2:24 PM, Sweet Lou 14 said:

Something to consider is that there are collectors with very high incomes who are asking themselves, what should I do with the next $1 (or really $10,000 or $50,000) that I take home?  If you're not feeling great about the stock market -- personally I still don't think it's hit bottom so it doesn't (yet) feel like the right time to buy low -- then putting the money into comics or other hobbies / alternative investments could be a very attractive option.

Assuming this is happening, it would help to explain why the blue chip books continue to hold their value.

I wouldn't feel good if my 401 k was tied to generic stocks. Plenty of opportunity for serious investors still.

You're supposed to buy on the dip. Isn't that what all the cool kids say now? 

I guess that's hard to do if you maxed out your credit while in the throes of FOMO 2021. 

I don't know why you would put your Hulk 181 9.8 in an auction with two other Hulk 181s in 9.8 unless the creditors were calling. lol

On 10/15/2022 at 3:14 PM, Krismusic said:

So is it time to start buying comics back or should I wait for further decreases? 

Ps time to ease off statues, action figures, and cards now I guess lol 

I am not buying anything back. I see better investment options. Even if I was a pure collector I would wait and see. I believe things are more likely to get worse than improve. Make profits elsewhere and buy comics then. *This is not financial advice. Only my personal opinion.*

On 10/15/2022 at 12:43 PM, MAR1979 said:
On 10/15/2022 at 12:22 PM, Thisisrequired said:

People have been asking those concerns for the last 12 years. Other questions to ask are how many kids who watched these movies and shows will start buying books when they get jobs? How many of them will get into comics for investment? I believe more people come into hobby than are leaving it. 

I would have agreed 1-2 years back but most of the multitude of 2020-2021 bandwagon jumpers are exiting en mass from the hobby.  Those outgoing huge numbers are not being replaced by the trickle in compression that is coming in.  The folks leaving were a huge catalyst in causing high pop bronze-copper-modern books to sublimate. It may be decades before that is seen again just like the gap from the 1993/1994 to 2020/2021

As always my opinion is not directed towards Silver/Atomic/Gold nor outliers nor hot books de jour.

The Golden Age of the Marvel Cinematic Universe is likely over, or at least on the wane.  Iron Man is gone.  Captain America is gone.  Black Widow is gone.  Hawkeye most likely done.  Thor and Doctor Strange are left since Hulk may never get his own movie.  Sony is probably going to take Spider-Man back for its most likely horrible Sinister Six movie.  The X-Men and Fantastic Four and Deadpool are on the horizon but they have already had movies so I'm not sure how much they are going to move the needle.  I think fatigue is setting in for the average movie goer / TV viewer.  I don't think we are going to see any movies as big as End Game ever again for Marvel.

On 10/15/2022 at 2:43 PM, MAR1979 said:

2020 2021 spike is irrelevant to me. I never seen it having legs. If prices drop below 2018 levels I will take notice. 

Did all these collectors just come in for 1 year and then all left. As well as veteran collectors leaving. With not enough new blood replacing them? Or did people take some of the money they were spending on comics and started traveling, shopping, eating out, going to concerts and sporting events etc as they opened up from being shut down? I feel it was the latter. 

On 10/15/2022 at 3:40 PM, mjoeyoung said:

The X-Men and Fantastic Four and Deadpool are on the horizon but they have already had movies so I'm not sure how much they are going to move the needle

Look at the prices before and after Disney got fox. Buyers didn't care about the past movies. People are loving the first meeting of Deadpool Wolverine right now ever since the news broke. 

I find the post endgame content to be terrible. But I have high standards and bore easily. When they stop making movies and shows I will know enough people have lost interest. 

On 10/15/2022 at 3:40 PM, mjoeyoung said:

I don't think we are going to see any movies as big as End Game ever again for Marvel.

I agree but not because of lack of interest. During the lockdown people realized why am I paying $20 for a ticket and even more for snacks and drink when I have a 80 inch screen and surround sound in my home. 

I think we are a minority. I couldn't finish the first episode of wanda. Made it through 2 of Falcon. Even using eternals as background noise I couldn't make it even half way. It's so bad I won't watch even an avengers movie if eternals are in it. I made it through Hawkeye but ot wasn't good. Was stunned Chi kept me entertained but no desire to watch it again. Strange and Widow was same. Seem every Thor movie multiple times. Could get halfway through new one. I will wait 5 years, get Disney plus for $1.99 or probably $4.99 buy then and binge watch everything in 2 weeks. Mando by far their best or only close to being good show. Just me though. Majority are loving this pile of .

On 10/15/2022 at 4:41 PM, dikran1 said:

Maybe it’s just me but I still don’t see the logic of a movie or other media increasing the price of a comic… movies and TV shows about these characters have existed long before most of us were born, it’s all nonsense. :preach:

It's human nature. As a reptilian I don't have these desires. Happens everywhere, not a comics only thing. 

On 10/15/2022 at 4:41 PM, dikran1 said:

Maybe it’s just me but I still don’t see the logic of a movie or other media increasing the price of a comic… movies and TV shows about these characters have existed long before most of us were born, it’s all nonsense. :preach:

At the very least, recent appearances in cartoons, shows, movies, etc., both confirms and enhances the character's continuing relevance in pop culture, especially for characters who have been MIA since their comic book appearances.  Out of sight, out of mind?  But if in sight, more likely to get on someone's want-list radar.  (thumbsu  Like Moon Knight in BA?  Or the Watcher in SA? 

By contrast, books involving characters/franchises who have been and remain pop culture icons, like Scooby Doo or Star Trek, might remain expensive with little volatility despite the announcement of a new cartoon or show (in Scooby Doo #1's case) or series/movie (in Star Trek #1's case).  They don't need the hype and are less affected by it because of proven, enduring popularity, coupled with relative scarcity.  There are tons of examples for this.   

On 10/15/2022 at 5:03 PM, Pantodude said:

At the very least, recent appearances in cartoons, shows, movies, etc., both confirms and enhances the character's continuing relevance in pop culture, especially for characters who have been MIA since their comic book appearances.  Out of sight, out of mind?  But if in sight, more likely to get on someone's want-list radar.  (thumbsu  Like Moon Knight in BA?  Or the Watcher in SA? 

By contrast, books involving characters/franchises who have been and remain pop culture icons, like Scooby Doo or Star Trek, might remain expensive with little volatility despite the announcement of a new cartoon or show (in Scooby Doo #1's case) or series/movie (in Star Trek #1's case).  They don't need the hype and are less affected by it because of proven, enduring popularity, coupled with relative scarcity.  There are tons of examples for this.   

I wonder if this would ever explode in value like G.I Joe #1 or Transformers #1?

First appearance in comic books of the new crew?

Star Trek The Next Generation #1N

Basically what I meant was are we all not comic collectors? We pretty much know who the A-B list characters are and where they first appeared. Their relevance shouldn’t be effected by whether or not they appear in a show or video game but rather their relevance within the hobby itself. Literally NO ONE who isn’t already in the hobby is seeing these movies and saying “darn it, I need to get me whatever that Thor guy’s first comic is”… right? So who exactly is this “movie hype” for if not just ourselves?… just utter nonsense…