• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Are prices still climbing or have they eased up a bit???
43 43

7,351 posts in this topic

On 10/16/2022 at 3:34 AM, Norinn Radd said:

"Are prices still climbing or have they eased up a bit???"

Comics I'm selling?  Prices (demand) have cooled (some by quite a bit)

Comics I'm trying to buy?  Prices (demand) are as strong as ever.

:facepalm:

Same as it ever was...

truer words were never spoken! 

On 10/16/2022 at 2:13 AM, dikran1 said:
On 10/15/2022 at 10:23 PM, ThothAmon said:

Brother, it can’t be all bad?  I’m curious about your board name?

It’s my actual name, which is a common Armenian first name. Had to add the 1 after some Board update in 2017 but I’ve been on here since ‘07. 
As for the bad?… Buying comics today is essentially like buying a new car, you lose 40-50% of the value as soon as the auction ends… :frustrated:

https://boards.cgccomics.com/forum/80-account-merge-requests/

Not sure if this link would work. @CGC Mike can he merge or get his account back? or is it hard to do?

@dikran1 There were boards glitches that added a #"1" at the end of accounts that didn't update well in the boards site update. There was talk at the time of how to fix it, this is the best that I can remember :cheers: 

:sorry: that no one seemed to notice before now :( 

• Administrator
On 10/16/2022 at 3:13 AM, dikran said:
On 10/15/2022 at 11:23 PM, ThothAmon said:

Brother, it can’t be all bad?  I’m curious about your board name?

It’s my actual name, which is a common Armenian first name. Had to add the 1 after some Board update in 2017 but I’ve been on here since ‘07. 

I have merged your accounts but, it may revert back to dikron1.  If this happens, let me know and I will contact CGC and have them make the change internally.

image.png

On 10/16/2022 at 1:55 PM, DC# said:

So much of the debate on the past few pages gets down to the belief in the intrinsic value of something.    Whether it be currency, NFTs, a Funko Pop, or a Van Gogh painting - they only have value because people believe they have value.    And the scale of that belief greatly impacts both its volatility and value.    When belief stops - prices drop (currency crisis, tulip bulbs, beanie babies, etc).   So ASM 300 newsstand is worth $15k as long as enough people believe it is.    And the fact that hard core collectors of PCH may not believe it worth that probably doesn’t matter since they were outside the group whose collective belief drove the value of ASM 300 in the first place.   And vice versa about some ASM believers regarding PCH.    So as both collectors and investors I imagine people primarily put money in things they believe in.   And beliefvalue can be based both on tangible things (gold can be used to make semiconductors) or more ephemeral/psychological things (gold makes me feel pretty). 

Someone could offer me a SA book worth half as much as a rare Funko Pop and I would probably take the SA book (especially if I couldn’t flip) because I personally don’t share a belief in Funko.    

So as Obi-wan said - all depends on our own point of view……and just how many people happen to share that same view 

I don’t believe in funky pops either

On 10/16/2022 at 1:55 PM, DC# said:

So much of the debate on the past few pages gets down to the belief in the intrinsic value of something.    Whether it be currency, NFTs, a Funko Pop, or a Van Gogh painting - they only have value because people believe they have value.    And the scale of that belief greatly impacts both its volatility and value.    When belief stops - prices drop (currency crisis, tulip bulbs, beanie babies, etc).   So ASM 300 newsstand is worth $15k as long as enough people believe it is.    And the fact that hard core collectors of PCH may not believe it worth that probably doesn’t matter since they were outside the group whose collective belief drove the value of ASM 300 in the first place.   And vice versa about some ASM believers regarding PCH.    So as both collectors and investors I imagine people primarily put money in things they believe in.   And beliefvalue can be based both on tangible things (gold can be used to make semiconductors) or more ephemeral/psychological things (gold makes me feel pretty). 

Someone could offer me a SA book worth half as much as a rare Funko Pop and I would probably take the SA book (especially if I couldn’t flip) because I personally don’t share a belief in Funko.    

So as Obi-wan said - all depends on our own point of view……and just how many people happen to share that same view 

Belief in the books long term makes collectors, belief that buyers and sellers will behave in some specific way during some specified period of time makes speculators.

You don't have to believe in or care at all about the intrinsic value of something if the play is to pump and dump based on the anticipation of behavior. 

• Administrator
On 10/16/2022 at 7:58 PM, dikran1 said:

Oh man I have no idea what happened but my account has reset… @CGC Mike:whatthe:

Actually, it hasn't.  Your old account is attached to a different e-mail address.  I'll send you a PM.  

Mike

On 10/16/2022 at 6:34 AM, Norinn Radd said:

"Are prices still climbing or have they eased up a bit???"

Comics I'm selling?  Prices (demand) have cooled (some by quite a bit)

Comics I'm trying to buy?  Prices (demand) are as strong as ever.

Same as it ever was...

Case in point.  Batman 73.  Last GPA data point CGC 4.0 in August was $1412.

Raw VG on Heritage I was bidding on today ended at $2132. 

https://comics.ha.com/itm/golden-age-1938-1955-/batman-73-dc-1952-condition-vg/a/122242-15173.s?ic4=ListView-Thumbnail-071515

On 10/16/2022 at 4:17 PM, COI said:

Belief in the books long term makes collectors, belief that buyers and sellers will behave in some specific way during some specified period of time makes speculators.

You don't have to believe in or care at all about the intrinsic value of something if the play is to pump and dump based on the anticipation of behavior. 

It is a chicken and egg condition - even pump and dumpers need believers of some degree in order to drive the value.    Though I do appreciate the greater fools theory.  
And they all get muddled together in a market - crypto has/had many people who truly believe it is a revolution investing alongside the speculators (some of whom probably couldn’t explain what block chain was if they had to).     And traditionalists sit on the outside looking at all of them like they are out of their minds.   Probably like parents told many of us we were out of our minds as kids for collecting comics…..

On 10/16/2022 at 11:37 PM, paqart said:

I think the key is to know when not to buy.

On 10/16/2022 at 11:37 PM, paqart said:

I don't know if I've ever had any comic related collectible go down relative to what I paid,

The point of this thread.

My belief is that people who bought at the height of this unique market in 2021 may have to wait a LONG time to reach a break even point on value.  Take ASM#300 in 9.8:

2019 Average = $1945

2020 Average = $3077

2021 Average = $6159

12 M Average = $5306

90 D Average = $4681

That last 3 sales have been $4059, $4225, and $4500.  What is going to happen to keep this book from free falling back down to 2020 or 2019 levels?  Even if the book only drops to the 2020 AVG, how long is it going to take to increase in value by $3K?

On 10/16/2022 at 9:01 PM, DC# said:

It is a chicken and egg condition - even pump and dumpers need believers of some degree in order to drive the value.

And this market is going to weed the majority of them out, and values will fall accordingly.

On 10/16/2022 at 5:43 AM, MAR1979 said:

I would have agreed 1-2 years back but most of the multitude of 2020-2021 bandwagon jumpers are exiting en mass from the hobby.  Those outgoing huge numbers are not being replaced by the trickle in compression that is coming in.  The folks leaving were a huge catalyst in causing high pop bronze-copper-modern books to sublimate. It may be decades before that is seen again just like the gap from the 1993/1994 to 2020/2021

As always my opinion is not directed towards Silver/Atomic/Gold nor outliers nor hot books de jour.

Also, most of the recent Marvel movies and shows have been subpar, unlike the fine efforts of a few years ago. That's what got a lot of people into investing, but the bad recent stuff would be driving them away.

On 10/17/2022 at 3:49 AM, mjoeyoung said:

The point of this thread.

My belief is that people who bought at the height of this unique market in 2021 may have to wait a LONG time to reach a break even point on value.  Take ASM#300 in 9.8:

2019 Average = $1945

2020 Average = $3077

2021 Average = $6159

12 M Average = $5306

90 D Average = $4681

That last 3 sales have been $4059, $4225, and $4500.  What is going to happen to keep this book from free falling back down to 2020 or 2019 levels?  Even if the book only drops to the 2020 AVG, how long is it going to take to increase in value by $3K?

And this market is going to weed the majority of them out, and values will fall accordingly.

Will ASM 300 go back above $6000 in the short term?  Probably not--but, sorry to be blunt, who cares?  If you're buying for speculation, then I have no sympathy.  If you're buying for the love of the hobby, then a longer time horizon should be fine. 

Of course, there's still the question of whether the hobby as a whole will survive in the long term--that's less to do with speculators and FOMO books and more to do with general, continued interest.  No one knows the answer to that right now--let's revisit the subject in 20-30 years, like a treasury bond with funny pictures.

ASM #300 2020/21 average was ALL spec on Venom joining the MCU proper and being in The Sinister Six for SM:NWH.
The rumors and then the end credit scene in Venom 2 helped this.

The same can be said about Ultimate Fallout #4.
That life cycle WAS cranking with a video game in 2020 into SM:NWH rumors in 2021 into nothing...
Check the prices from the beginning of the year to now.

On 10/15/2022 at 3:32 PM, Thisisrequired said:

I am not buying anything back. I see better investment options. Even if I was a pure collector I would wait and see. I believe things are more likely to get worse than improve. Make profits elsewhere and buy comics then. *This is not financial advice. Only my personal opinion.*

Oh I don’t by for investments I have mutual funds, stocks and rrsp for that, I am a collector though, but haven’t sold a single book; although I have considered selling some books to get some grails that’s are now starting to become out of reach….. 

On 10/17/2022 at 9:05 AM, Poekaymon said:

Will ASM 300 go back above $6000 in the short term?  Probably not--but, sorry to be blunt, who cares?  If you're buying for speculation, then I have no sympathy.  If you're buying for the love of the hobby, then a longer time horizon should be fine. 

Of course, there's still the question of whether the hobby as a whole will survive in the long term--that's less to do with speculators and FOMO books and more to do with general, continued interest.  No one knows the answer to that right now--let's revisit the subject in 20-30 years, like a treasury bond with funny pictures.

Pretty sure super hero stuff will be around for at least a few decades more..the popular characters still have many people buying products associated with them. Like Spider-Man, Batman, super man, ans characters associated with them… 

My personal experience is that many of my friends and family who aren’t as “nerdy” or comic oriented still know these popular super hero characters and now are starting to get into comics, collectible media etc… never having really been akin to this stuff.. so I mean newer people who didn’t even grow up very much with comics or super hero genre are starting to come into it ans their kids are very much into it.. so I’m seeing interest from people who I didn’t know would be involved in comics and the characters merch… 

but I agree with what u said we never really know… let’s hope it continues and stories keep getting told… 

On 10/17/2022 at 7:14 AM, Krismusic said:

Oh I don’t by for investments I have mutual funds, stocks and rrsp for that, I am a collector though, but haven’t sold a single book; although I have considered selling some books to get some grails that’s are now starting to become out of reach….. 

Although that's the way it's supposed to work, a lot of long term collectors just wished they could have had the option to place their vintage comic books into tax free financial investment shelters.  Especially since the majority of them have significantly outperformed the equity investment markets where we have seen some of the former once red hot Nasdaq speculative stocks drop by as much as 80% from their recent highs of last year.  hm  :tonofbricks:

Edited by lou_fine

On 10/17/2022 at 6:49 AM, Steven Valdez said:

Also, most of the recent Marvel movies and shows have been subpar, unlike the fine efforts of a few years ago. That's what got a lot of people into investing, but the bad recent stuff would be driving them away.

Yes! I was all set to pull the trigger on some Eternals comics and then I saw the movie. Or rather, as much of the movie as I could stand before walking out. Blorch! What a waste of resources. I feel the same about Love and Thunder and Werewolf by Night. Multiverse of Madness was very good in many ways but had its problems also. Gone are the days of the brash young confident tech entrepreneur Tony Stark. I loved his unapologetic confidence. As soon as that got tamped down in Civil War, the whole MCU started going downhill. The movies were still pretty good but they gradually lost their soul and now its gone.