• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Are prices still climbing or have they eased up a bit???
43 43

7,351 posts in this topic

On 10/18/2022 at 8:22 PM, Microchip said:

The results so far....

image.thumb.png.d4a33151dbed3cb75a7ac1395806a394.png

image.thumb.png.d6bbac241fffb63d68598d2b7775685a.png

The truth is superheroes are part of this civilization’s mythology. I am quite certain that Spider-Man and Superman will still be around in 100 years. And because of that colllectors will still clamor to buy their origin books. And if you don’t believe me and the sustainability of heroes and mythos over time look to heroes from centuries ago that kids today still know … Robin Hood, King Arthur, the Three Musketeers. Not only are they recognized, they are still making movies about these characters centuries later. 

I would say that there is way more exposure to many of the marvel and dc heroes than the ones I noted because of films and TV shows that the entire world has seen. Not saying that prices won’t fluctuate, but I don’t think that there is an inevitable permanent drop. I would bet the opposite.

On 10/18/2022 at 8:41 AM, DC# said:

From the book of head-scratching results comes this She-Hulk last night on Heritage.   Not even a newsstand and sold for 3x what copies have been trading for this month.     Someone really loved that finale episode last week.....

On 10/18/2022 at 11:48 AM, mjoeyoung said:

Who the heck is buying this? Or the other one on the list for $2300?  Are these examples of Heritage and Comic Connect bidding on their own stuff?

Uummmmmm................wasn't this question already answered rather succiently and to the point by a boardie in their post a few pages back?  :gossip:

Then again, since this is another one of those readily available in HG movie related hype books that have rocketed its way out from the loonie bin box and into 4-figure territory, I guess it bears repeating.  At this recent stage of the game, it's being snapped up by speculators speculating that other speculators will be or are speculating on this book, as I highly doubt there are enough moviegoers leaving the theatre who are suddenly deciding to throw this kind of money on a book or become a long term collector of this title here.  hm

The major problem is that the key to winning at this game here is that you have to be able to master the FIFO timeline.  In other words, FIRST IN on buying the book before it starts to rise and then FIRST OUT on selling the book before it starts to fall.  Definitely not the easiest timeline to master because if you are late to either aspect of this game, it's relatively easy for the book to make the full round trip (if not more) on you.  :tonofbricks:

Especially easy to speculate on books that are available in HG with multiple copies showing up in every single auction and pretty much readily available on a 24/7 basis 52 weeks a year somewhere on the worldwide web, with copies possibly being added to the cenus on an almost daily basis.  Much much tougher to speculate on a HTF book that comes to market only once a year or possibly even less, with a copy being added to the census in any grade only every few years or less.  hm

Edited by lou_fine

On 10/18/2022 at 10:09 PM, lou_fine said:

it's being snapped up by speculators speculating that other speculators will be or are speculating on this book

I'm sorry but in the case of this She-Hulk that doesn't really make sense.  Why would a speculator pay 3X or 4X the amount it is currently going for?  Why would MULTIPLE people be bidding a book up this high?  Isn't the idea to buy low and sell high? There is plenty of information out there to see what a book has recently sold for.  Ignorance and stupidity are valid explanations, as is some kind of attempted market manipulation.

Edited by mjoeyoung

On 10/17/2022 at 10:59 PM, THE_BEYONDER said:

Simonson gets his due with Thor 337:cloud9:

626D7851-E625-42BB-9D72-A3BB5F0C89A8.jpeg.bd8f551e9dd436e833a20f8db656a3a7.jpeg

Granted it’s only a $1000 book on its best day

But Thor isn’t Spider-Man.  Beta Ray isn’t Venom. It’s not a double thick double anniversary issue. It doesn’t have a black cover.  And it definitely doesn’t have everyone’s favourite web-slinger looking cool as hell in his black costume. 2c
7E2ADAF6-E481-4A39-9539-D45CAE0418A7.jpeg.a4e4a084114a10b64c804b5602297dc1.jpeg

I quit collecting ASM when 252 came out. Was not a fan of the costume change.

On 10/19/2022 at 12:09 PM, mjoeyoung said:

I'm sorry but in the case of this She-Hulk that doesn't really make sense.  Why would a speculator pay 3X or 4X the amount it is currently going for?  Why would MULTIPLE people be bidding a book up this high?  Isn't the idea to buy low and sell high? There is plenty of information out there to see what a book has recently sold for.  Ignorance and stupidity are valid explanations, as is some kind of attempted market manipulation.

Well, if there is indeed market manipulation with this relatively "common as dirt" book here, then it's not necessarily the auction houses that stands to gain the most from this kind of manipulation, as I had posted in another thread on these boards here:  hm  lol

On 10/5/2022 at 11:49 PM, lou_fine said:

Clearly you are thinking small potatoes here, as the winning bid was from the CCG ownership group itself.  :gossip:

Insignificant fractional expense to be attributed to advertising & promotions as CCS & CGC will now be receiving an additional 10,000+ copies of this book through their front door for pressing and grading services in the hopes of obtaining the next 9.8 graded copy of this relatively easy to find book. :devil:

On 10/18/2022 at 2:31 PM, The lips said:

I’m currently about 70% complete on a ASM run. I’m bowing out at 375 for the reasons you mention. 
375 with the Venom foil cover seemed the right issue to stop at for me. 

I have kind of done a similar thing and decided to stop at 400. I like that story.

On 10/19/2022 at 3:34 PM, djpinkpanther67 said:

I quit collecting ASM when 252 came out. Was not a fan of the costume change.

I started back because of 252. Loved black costume Spidey.  Would have preferred he kept the symbiote, and Venom never existed 

On 10/19/2022 at 4:10 PM, THE_BEYONDER said:

I started back because of 252. Loved black costume Spidey.  Would have preferred he kept the symbiote, and Venom never existed 

That’s why you’re a dork :foryou:🥰

That Hulk sale got me to thinking - does anyone know of any other book selling for over $100k that has over 100 copies on the census at those values?    Amazing Fantasy 15 in 6/7 and up would qualify.   Even if prices drop more there are still more than 100 copies at 7.5 and up.   IH 181 has 136 9.8s and one 9.9.

Batman #1 would also be right at 100 copies all over $100k.   Anything else? 

But nothing else would come close in a single grade in such volumes at such prices as IH181 

On 10/20/2022 at 4:48 AM, alexgross.com said:
On 10/19/2022 at 10:58 PM, Tec-Tac-Toe said:

Pedigree Comics: ???

yes it was pedigree comics. goes without saying that pedigree comics auction results are always above board. absolutely no shenanigans ever. :whistle:

Why...........................is Dougie buying from Schmell again and we are going to see this same book come back to market very soon?  hm  :devil:

On 10/21/2022 at 8:33 AM, Poekaymon said:

What a bunch of nimrods.  I don't care what it sold for, but I read the description and got hives.  I haven't seen this many hokey and demonstrably false superlatives in a long time.  I hate this sort of puffery so much.  (By the way, some sale threads here are guilty of this too--just sayin'.  (Please stop.)  ((Please.))

1.  "Unreal deep rich colors" - The colors seem normal to me.  It doesn't belong in the sun-fade thread I guess.  But I don't think they are bending the fabric of reality with their peculiar depth and richness.

2.  "Beautiful spine" - Is it?  Not sure I've heard a spine described as beautiful before.  Is it because it's not covered in color-breaking ticks? 

3.  "Perfect cover alignment" - No it isn't.  What are we talking about here anyway, wrap/centering?  Either way, imperfect.

4.  "Bone white pages" - No they aren't.  It has the designation "white pages" but that definitely doesn't mean white like bone.

5.  "Brand new perfect CGC holder" - No it isn't.  I looked at it for 10 seconds and saw scuffs.

6.  "Structurally extremely impressive" - What does that even mean?  

I also like how it talks about how "EVERY" 9.8 that has come to market has set a new record, and mentions that the last record was $138k--then closes at 125.  Glad this one broke the streak. 

Agreed.  Doug's write up's on book's are always hyperbole.  It's standard to see "the single best copy I've ever seen" etc etc.    He wouldn't have held back on a Hulk 181.