• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Are prices still climbing or have they eased up a bit???
43 43

7,152 posts in this topic

On 5/5/2023 at 10:46 PM, mjoeyoung said:

Sure people are buying, but what are they PAYING?  The great majority of books in the chart above are below the 90 day average, and these are for the most part the big keys in the market.  I don't see any reason why prices shouldn't continue falling from here.  From 2019 to the middle of 2022 values skyrocketed,  so why isn't it possible that values continue to unwind in a similar time frame?

I wouldn't rely solely on what would be considered "normal market behavior" here.  The economic conditions that got us to this point were highly abnormal. 100 year pandemic.  Stay at home orders.  $5 trillion dollars in stimulus. A huge runup in the stock market and crypto. Even now people are not required to make their student loan payments.

Ahead of us we have possible "sticky" high inflation, high interest rates, higher housing costs, a recession, higher unemployment and probably a 15-20% drop in the stock market.  These might cause some trouble.

There is also a lot of psychology at play here.  Someone can look at today's values and think "Prices are 50% lower than 2021, now is the time to buy."  Others may say "Prices are still 100% higher than 2019, I'm going to wait until they come down more."  Each thought is equally valid.  Which thought becomes the prevailing wisdom?

We are not in Kansas anymore.

On 5/6/2023 at 5:54 AM, VintageComics said:

Absolutely. 

I find it amazing that I make a post that vaguely references these things. My posts are SO vague that most people wouldn't even recognize them for what they are.

And my posts get moderated within seconds or minutes because a few eagle eye'd enemies routinely go out of their way to try to get me moderated. lol

But you can openly talk about these forbidden topics and the post sits for days. 

Just A. M. A. Z. I. N. G. :D

Meh. I'm well aware of all of these things, having done nothing but study them deeply for the past 3 years. 

Normal rules of economics stopped being applied almost 2 decades ago when the global economy crashed and entire countries went bankrupt. 

For many people it was devastating, but for others it was an opportunity of a lifetime to build generational wealth. 

What I learned is that when someone is losing money, someone else is making it. 

The world has always had it's major problems. It keeps chugging ahead. 

We life in a time of great risk and great opportunity. Changes not seen in a hundred years happen.

On 5/6/2023 at 5:12 AM, namisgr said:

As for high interest rates, I'm not clear what the problem is with them.  People can finally earn income once again by methods other than stock investing or speculation.

one problem with higher interest rates is that if i sell the home i bought in 2020 when rates were super low, the next mortgage i get will cost me massively more per month for the same price house. so i am disincentivized to sell, and prospective buyers are disincentivized to buy. that's a major reason why housing markets across the country are way down, especially on the west coast. i also have a HELOC whose payment has tripled since 2020. ultimately this also means i, and perhaps others, are way less apt to spend discretionary income. i used to buy a book per month in one or another auction, but those days are over for me now. 

• Administrator

A few posts have been removed.  I have said it before, and I will say it again.  Do not posts links to threads ATS (across the street) That includes Ditches forum, and our competitors.  

On 5/6/2023 at 9:22 AM, namisgr said:

Reduced housing and rental costs are a significant component of lower inflation.  (shrug)

If the price of a house dropped by 5%, but higher interest rates mean that the new owner is paying 10% more per month than he would have a year ago...does that count as reduced inflation or increased inflation?  Seems to me that the net negative to discretionary spending would be the same whether the higher monthly payment is caused by higher home value or higher interest rates.  And certainly nobody is able to increase discretionary spending by refinancing in that scenario?  

Bought our first house when a 30 year mortgage rate was 9%.  Today's mortgage rates are hardly novel.  High inflation rates aren't, either, although in less than a year the inflation rate as measured by the consumer price index has declined from a peak of 9.1% to 5.0% as of March.  The goal of the Federal Reserve to reduce inflation to a target of around 2% by raising the Fed Fund rate is based on slowing consumer demand to help stabilize prices.

Back to the consideration of comic prices, I continue to believe that their cyclical nature is still at work, and the overall and ongoing correction in prices is both normal and healthy for the longer-term viability of the hobby.  The lower prices of late have helped me to make a few upgrades on the collecting niche that I still remain active in, while I've sold very little (and have little else to sell by now).

Edited by namisgr

On 5/6/2023 at 3:21 PM, VintageComics said:

Over 2 years ago you stated inflation was just "transitory"". It's still here crushing people. :cry:

It's dropped 4 percentage points in 9 months.   Anything but the "runaway" variety that you mischaracterized it.

The 40 million Americans still living below the poverty line, as they were (in number) many more than two years ago, are still being crushed.  Advocate for them.  Even though the overwhelming majority aren't phased by the changing back issue comic book market.

Edited by namisgr

On 5/6/2023 at 3:24 PM, namisgr said:
On 5/6/2023 at 3:21 PM, VintageComics said:

Over 2 years ago you stated inflation was just "transitory"". It's still here crushing people. :cry:

It's dropped 4 percentage points in 9 months.  Hardly the "runaway" variety that you called it.

I simply stated the reality that it was going to be devastating and it has totally been devastating, contrary to what most people thought was going to happen. 

Well, I have to correct that. It's been devastating to people who can't spend $1000's on comics. Most on here can't seem to relate. 

On 4/30/2023 at 3:28 PM, DC# said:

Here are some select results from the April/May ComicLink Focused Auction - Session 1A and 1B.    Good chance this is the only recap I do for this auction.....

Maybe a few more "green shoots" this time and results do feel a bit stronger than the March CL auction.   But a lot of books bouncing around still....hard to say if they are finding their footing.  

ScreenShot2023-04-30at1_18_05PM.thumb.png.78785e0188b9b1775c6559307609baed.png

ScreenShot2023-04-30at1_18_27PM.thumb.png.5b6a1f9cf9d87a149a7cdc6cd04fb664.png

ScreenShot2023-04-30at1_18_50PM.thumb.png.93ee5cf51799a7c37e3394076e488e03.png

ScreenShot2023-04-30at1_19_17PM.thumb.png.31d254207509a3227953c25509abb99c.png

ScreenShot2023-04-30at1_19_46PM.thumb.png.453e6f71e20ad8403614d13c0983dfbf.png

These and the other past CL results make me wonder why anyone would consign with them. Great for buyers but awful results for the sellers time and time again. 

On 5/6/2023 at 1:29 PM, VintageComics said:

I simply stated the reality that it was going to be devastating and it has totally been devastating, contrary to what most people thought was going to happen. 

Well, I have to correct that. It's been devastating to people who can't spend $1000's on comics. Most on here can't seem to relate. 

No I can't relate to you at all. And it's not about comics.  And for that I am blessed.

On 5/6/2023 at 8:57 PM, VintageComics said:

😂 YOU started the conversation on inflation. 

Do you even read other posts in a thread you post in?

On 5/5/2023 at 4:46 PM, mjoeyoung said:

Ahead of us we have possible "sticky" high inflation, high interest rates, higher housing costs, a recession, higher unemployment and probably a 15-20% drop in the stock market. 

Edited by namisgr