• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Are prices still climbing or have they eased up a bit???
43 43

7,152 posts in this topic

On 4/10/2023 at 11:32 AM, grendel013 said:
On 4/10/2023 at 11:28 AM, buttock said:

Is it the corduroy shirt?

Yes. But only because of the buttons.

The fact that it's still buttoned up as you were hoping to see even so much more of the REAL BIG MAN himself if it was unbottomed?  :blush:  lol

Edited by lou_fine

On 4/10/2023 at 2:25 PM, grendel013 said:

I cringe every time I see Rifleman 10.:ohnoez:

A couple of serious historical questions:

• How soon after the 1962 publication date are there documented examples of readers / collectors taking a special interest in this cover?
  • Has anyone involved with the taking of the photo, or the publication of the book, ever said anything on the record as to whether anyone was in on the joke from the start?
Edited by Sweet Lou 14

On 4/10/2023 at 5:28 PM, Sweet Lou 14 said:

• How soon after the 1962 publication date are there documented examples of readers / collectors taking a special interest in this cover?
  • Has anyone involved with the taking of the photo, or the publication of the book, ever said anything on the record as to whether anyone was in on the joke from the start?

The story I made up in my head was that these were like joke photos taken kind of tongue in cheek. Then tossed aside only for Dell to come rummaging through stock photos to use for comic covers. They either had limited access or were running low on quality pix. But I daydream a lot so I don't know.

On 4/11/2023 at 7:28 AM, Sweet Lou 14 said:

The cover has been around on the boards for years and years, as an easy go-to for a questionable cover.  It piggybacks off of the Archie innuendo covers.   How solid is the tradition of trying to put questionable innuendo on covers in the conservative ages, I've no idea, but they are certainly out there.

On 4/11/2023 at 7:03 AM, EastEnd1 said:

Just to add a little "color" to your point which I agree with...

The 1980-82 recession saw the emergence of the direct market and explosion of comic book shops across the country.

The 1990-91 recession saw an explosion in comic book circulation figures.

The 2001 recession saw the emergence of standardized comic book grading (ie CGC) and a skyrocketing of back issue pricing.

The 2008-09 great recession saw no significant drop in back issue pricing (though graded comic pricing had retreated in the years prior as census figures grew)

The 2020 "Covid" recession saw a previously unheard of skyrocketing in back issue prices.

I'd also add that the comic book industry itself emerged during the ACTUAL DEPRESSION and exploded into its "golden age" during the most tragic war the world has ever seen.

Like the superheros it birthed, our "little" hobby has shown itself to be quite resilient and will be fine for some time to come (thumbsu

Thanks for your standpoints and highlights on those recessions upon the comic books!

On 4/11/2023 at 7:03 AM, EastEnd1 said:

Just to add a little "color" to your point which I agree with...

The 1980-82 recession saw the emergence of the direct market and rapid proliferation of comic book shops across the country.

The 1990-91 recession saw exploding comic book circulation figures.

The 2001 recession saw the emergence of standardized comic book grading (ie CGC) and a surging of back issue pricing.

The 2008-09 great recession saw no significant drop in back issue pricing (though graded comic pricing had retreated in the years prior as census figures grew)

The 2020 "Covid" recession saw a previously unheard of skyrocketing in back issue prices.

I'd also add that the comic book industry itself emerged during the ACTUAL DEPRESSION and ascended into its "golden age" during the most tragic war the world has ever seen.

Like the superheros it birthed, our "little" hobby has shown itself to be quite resilient and will be fine for some time to come (thumbsu

The comic-related movies came out during those recessions:

1981 - Superman II, Flash Gordon and Heavy Metal (more superhero movies were made after 1984).
1990 - Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles II: The Secret of the Ooze, The Rocketter, Darkman, Power Rangers, The Punisher and many TV superheroes aired during the after school hours i.e. Dark Knight, Darkwing, Power Rangers Teen Titans and much more.
2008-2009 - Watchmen, The Dark Knight, Iron Man, The Incredible Hulk, X-Men Origins: Wolverine and Hellboy II: The Golden Army.
2001 and 2020 - there are many superhero movies in 2000’s to 2020’s. Surprisingly, there is none that made in 2001 and 2020!

Edited by JollyComics

On 4/11/2023 at 5:47 PM, JollyComics said:

Surprisingly, there is none that made in 2001 and 2020!

We did have Blade in August 1998, with Blade 2 in March 2002.  (thumbsu  And in 2021, we had Black Widow and Eternals, I think. 

Edited by Pantodude

On 4/11/2023 at 5:22 PM, Pantodude said:

We did have Blade in August 1998, with Blade 2 in March 2002.  (thumbsu  And in 2021, we had Black Widow and Eternals, I think. 

Yes, but not during the recession years.  Those Blade movies were in happy years.  The year of 2021 was way out of the recession.  The year of 2020 was the worst year and suspended everything except the essential jobs like food stores and delivery services (I had to work at UPS through the pandemic).

On 4/11/2023 at 3:34 PM, JollyComics said:
On 4/11/2023 at 3:22 PM, Pantodude said:

Yes, but not during the recession years. 

Well, if it's movie related hype, does this mean that our pre-hero Valiant Super Mario comic books should be zooming up in value after the animation movie box office record they just set this apst weekend?  :bigsmile:

On 4/11/2023 at 6:32 PM, lou_fine said:

Well, if it's movie related hype, does this mean that our pre-hero Valiant Super Mario comic books should be zooming up in value after the animation movie box office record they just set this apst weekend?  :bigsmile:

I expected someone will mention something in related of the comic books.  Thanks for bringing it up here.  My both kids who are in teen years are interested in the vintage video games.  I am sure Mario theme comic books are hot right now. Blip #1 is hot too.

On 4/11/2023 at 6:58 PM, JollyComics said:

I expected someone will mention something in related of the comic books.  Thanks for bringing it up here.  My both kids who are in teen years are interested in the vintage video games.  I am sure Mario theme comic books are hot right now. Blip #1 is hot too.

Was bloodshot the movie 2019? Or 2020?

On 4/11/2023 at 7:01 PM, ADAMANTIUM said:

Was bloodshot the movie 2019? Or 2020?

Ya that's a valiant movie. :)

Came to theaters in 2020

Screenshot_20230411-190319.png

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

On 4/11/2023 at 5:08 PM, JollyComics said:

Yes but it didn't do well.   $45 million budget. $37 million box office.  The pandemic just started in mid-March here and hurt the movie financially.

Yep Bloodshot with a whopping $39.8M total global in its entire theatrical run versus Super Mario with a global box office of $377M in just its first weekend alone.  :whatthe:

Edited by lou_fine

On 4/11/2023 at 7:24 PM, lou_fine said:

Yep Bloodshot with a whopping $39.8M total global in its entire theatrical run versus Super Mario with a global box office of $377M in just its first weekend alone.  :whatthe:

I find it very interesting. Both Super Mario and Star Wars are classic cult.  First five Star Wars movies before Star Wars: The Force Awakens earned $247.2M total on 1st weekends only.  The Force Awakens earned $248M to beat all first five Star Wars Movies included Star Wars Special Edition on its first weekend. Just Amazing.  Super Mario's record is unbreakable.

Edited by JollyComics

No record is unbreakable (except maybe Nolan Ryan’s career strikeouts).   And comparing all these box office stats across decades is really tough.   Force Awakens was $248M domestic but $529M global opening weekend.   Super Mario at $337M was global but also across 5 days.    Based on just traditional 3 day weekend Mario domestically was under $150 which would make it third highest animated film.   Even with a 5 day global it only beat Frozen 2 at 3 days by $19M from 4 years ago so with current inflation I bet that gap is closer to $10M.   

And adjusted for inflation A New Hope and Empire Strikes back are both around $1.9B life to date including re-releases (but even that doesn't account for growth in screens globally and new markets for American films since the late 70s. For reference - Empire's opening weekend was on an estimated 127 domestic screens.  Mario is on 4,300 screens domestically).   Mario won’t get anywhere close to that given current multiples.    

That being said - as one article put it - “Mario officially says ‘game over’ to the video game movie adaptation curse.”

Edited by DC#

On 4/11/2023 at 6:41 PM, DC# said:

No record is unbreakable (except maybe Nolan Ryan’s career strikeouts).   And comparing all these box office stats across decades is really tough.  

Actually, since this is a comic book board here, all of these box office stats are meaningless, except for what is their impact going to be on the Super Mario comic book.  :bigsmile:

Are these huge box office a possbile sign that the Super Mario related comic books might actually have some legs going forward longer term?  Or does it just mean the same old, same old when it comes to comic book related hyped movies which has a very short term spike, but then proceeds to a crash and burn now that the event (i.e. movie opening) has already taken place.  hm  (shrug)