• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Are prices still climbing or have they eased up a bit???
43 43

7,172 posts in this topic

On 6/13/2023 at 11:43 AM, marvelmaniac said:

The prices I come up with are not based on one sale, they are based on multiple sold auction prices (when available) for books in the same grade, it is more of an average between the high/low prices a book in that grade sold for over the last 6 month's. Judging by what I have seen while checking FMV over the last 1 1/2 years, this is probably a good time for buyers, the question is, will prices keep dropping, stabilize or go up again, I assume it will all depend on pop culture, the MCU and other factors, unfortunately that is a question no one can answer.

Good luck :wishluck: on your quest to upgrade your IH 181 at a reasonable price. (thumbsu 

Honestly,  upgrading 181 would be low priority for me. 

There are other books I'm activly looking for and prices have come down to a point where I'm shopping fairly aggressively.

On 6/13/2023 at 2:32 PM, WolverineX said:

Can't wait to see what else you get.  The last book you got was incredible.    

Well, keeping on theme with the thread, I'm not sure where prices go from here, but we've reached a point where I feel comfortable jumping in on some bigger books. We'll see how the year plays out from here. 

Continued tracking of my 50 piece personal collection's value for insurance purposes.
I am utilizing eBay sold items (with auctions taking priority over buy-it-now) to determine FMV.

January to February          1.94% decrease
February to March             4.25% increase
March to April                     0.82% increase
April to May                        2.53% decrease
May to June                       2.08% decrease

On 6/13/2023 at 10:10 PM, DC# said:

Pretty strong result given this book/grade has been bouncing around $1.6k-$2k since winter.  

Well, I guess this goes to counter the point made by many that Overstreet is always low when it comes to his price guide valuations since he has X-Men 94 listed at $3K in top of guide 9.2 condition.  hm

Any bets that he's going to simply pause his valuation at $3K in his new guide due out next month, as opposed to actually dropping the valuation as that seems to be something which he absolutely abhors doing.:popcorn:  :taptaptap:

On 6/14/2023 at 7:34 AM, lou_fine said:

Well, I guess this goes to counter the point made by many that Overstreet is always low when it comes to his price guide valuations since he has X-Men 94 listed at $3K in top of guide 9.2 condition.  hm

Any bets that he's going to simply pause his valuation at $3K in his new guide due out next month, as opposed to actually dropping the valuation as that seems to be something which he absolutely abhors doing.:popcorn:  :taptaptap:

I would be surprised.  Didn't they just raise many of the valuations in the last guide?

On 6/11/2023 at 12:11 PM, mjoeyoung said:

Star Wars is a different story.  Paid $4B in 2012, movies have only earned $4.8B. Plus, they spent approximately $2B to build a Galaxy's Edge (Star Wars Land) in Florida and California and $350M to build the now closed Galactic Starcruiser hotel.  They miscalculated that the new characters would be as beloved as Han Solo, etc.  When I went on the main ride in the park (Rise of the Resistance), I could not help but think the ride would have been much scarier with Darth Vader instead of Kylo Ren as the antagonist.

I'm a fan of the parks.  Rise of the Resistance is a brilliant attraction.  You're the first person I've heard levy criticism towards the ride story/characters.  Conversely, I've spoken with friends who take their kids to Disneyland and don't care about Star Wars and are blown away by it.  Maybe it would have resonated with the older generation more seeing familiar faces that the entire fan base cares about, but the ride is so good it makes a lot of people forget about such things.

Starcruiser was doomed to fail from the start given the price of a stay and not to mention I'm just not sure how many guests are interested in LARPing.

That all said, I imagine the franchise made back the $4B years ago.  Galaxy's Edge increased park capacity at both parks.  On top of that, there's merch sales.  Just think about all the booked reservations at the Droid Depot and Lightsaber building experience.  Or all the $250 legacy sabers that are sold.

The problem for them currently is Fox, ESPN, and Disney+.

On 6/15/2023 at 12:23 PM, DC# said:

Added these to the Six Figure Club thread.    Superman #1 down $1M from last sale - Action #1 down a little (on a relative basis of $1.6M vs $1.5M).    AF15 up just a little.   

ScreenShot2023-06-14at7_16_02PM.thumb.png.d94862c759a3ab6d548bedd91de3320a.png

ScreenShot2023-06-14at7_17_28PM.thumb.png.faf8e0e51e468dbd15287ca9957744dc.png

ScreenShot2023-06-14at7_16_40PM.thumb.png.e2f2d46621def3314a1a464e2a54125f.png

Oh man that Supes 1 sale is LOW. The same book sold in Dec 2021 for 1 million more. I'd be annoyed if I was the consignor. 

Edited by The-Collector

On 6/14/2023 at 7:41 PM, The-Collector said:

Oh man that Supes 1 sale is LOW. The same book sold in Dec 2021 for 1 million more. I'd be annoyed if I was the consigner. 

I assume you would be referring to this $2.6M+ auction result for the EXACT SAME COPY of Supes 1 here in the December 2021 Event Auction: (thumbsu

https://www.comicconnect.com/item/937190

sup1.14508_4.jpg

All I will say is that CC and Metro with Fishler and his long established contacts is a completely different animal than the Goldin auction platform.  hm

Edited by lou_fine

On 6/15/2023 at 3:10 PM, lou_fine said:

I assume you would be referring to this $2.6M+ auction result for the EXACT SAME COPY of Supes 1 here in the December 2021 Event Auction: (thumbsu

sup1.14508_4.jpg

All I will say is that CC and Metro with Fishler and his long established contacts is a completely different animal than the Goldin auction platform.  hm

Yep. 

Edited by The-Collector

On 6/15/2023 at 1:10 AM, lou_fine said:

sup1.14508_4.jpg

"Easy come, easy go." :facepalm: (not for me)

On 6/14/2023 at 10:41 PM, The-Collector said:

Oh man that Supes 1 sale is LOW. The same book sold in Dec 2021 for 1 million more. I'd be annoyed if I was the consignor. 

Annoyed is an understatement.   That’s a million dollar bath :tonofbricks:

If there was ever an alarm bell signaling a market crash, it would be a nice Superman #1 dropping close to 40% in value in 1.5 years. I'm sure it would be impossible to verify, but might this sale be the single biggest loss ever on a single comic book? If I had to guess, I'd say that this $1M loss is indeed the largest loss of all-time, thus far.

On 6/15/2023 at 9:46 AM, KingOfRulers said:

If there was ever an alarm bell signaling a market crash, it would be a nice Superman #1 dropping close to 40% in value in 1.5 years. I'm sure it would be impossible to verify, but might this sale be the single biggest loss ever on a single comic book? If I had to guess, I'd say that this $1M loss is indeed the largest loss of all-time, thus far.

Yeah and you kind of wonder if a $1M loss is really just chump change to those who can play in this 7+ digit market.