• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Are prices still climbing or have they eased up a bit???
43 43

7,152 posts in this topic

On 6/16/2023 at 6:19 PM, Hamlet said:

Yes, at nosebleed grades the early Marvels can be challenging, but it’s still much, much easier than most GA books.  There are 21 copies of Avengers 9 in 9.4 or better on the census.

There are 18 total copies of Master Comics 25 on the census.  A 9.4 copy hasn’t even shown up on the census.  That is not atypical for the Raboy Masters.  

You're moving the goalposts a bit.  Your original statement:  "Owning pretty much any SA Marvel in just about any condition is solely about being willing to pony up the money."

I'm trying to say that based on my own experience, it turns out that's not really true.

On 6/16/2023 at 8:06 PM, Sweet Lou 14 said:

You're moving the goalposts a bit.  Your original statement:  "Owning pretty much any SA Marvel in just about any condition is solely about being willing to pony up the money."

I'm trying to say that based on my own experience, it turns out that's not really true.

How about you are both right.....

If you check out the registry sets for Avengers 1-100, you can find that book in that grade.

However, you will probably have to "pony" up the cash, organs, children, gold bullion and more to get it from the current custodian.

-bc

On 6/16/2023 at 6:13 PM, mjoeyoung said:

Comic genres.  As far as I can tell there have not been any new Disney comics since 2008, and DC publishes Looney Tunes on a quarterly basis.  There was the nostalgic resurgence in the early 90s, but, for the most part, this genre died along with Gold Key in the early 80s.

There’s also the fact that Carl Barks actually made GOOD books, Scrooge, Gyro, Beagle Boys were all originally from comics before becoming TV mainstays. I didn’t buy a GA book before I was 45 and I was born in 1974 so the 80s was my jam. Now I have a fantastic Duck collection I cherish a lot more than the GI Joe and Transformers books I grew up on. Dells and Gold keys may be plentiful but really high grades are tough to come by and usually cause feeding frenzy bidding. 

On 6/16/2023 at 10:06 AM, Robot Man said:

I bought my BA stuff off the racks so I never had to pay up for any of them.

Were you a condition conscious type of collector back then when you were buying your BA books off the shelves or more of a reader type of collector who read then and then tossed them into the box in the corner of your room?  hm  :wishluck:

Collectors love their stuff so valuation prospects often may not be as big a deal.  Ideally to the moon with it all. But I don't share the doom and gloom, which seems like a knee-jerk reaction to recent flux.  hm  Difficult to address adequately in a post, esp while still in bed!  But here goes. 

For GA, seems like the Looney Tunes #1 (so many big 1st apps and all of them on the cover)  falls into the category of those books that even regular Joes realize should be long-term gems.  Star Trek 1 and Scooby Doo 1 come to mind-- franchises which had undeniably huge but enduring impact, but they also enjoy relatively limited supply for a non-GA book (especially in high grade). Or like Batman and Detective Comics and early Superman, which appear to remain run-worthy ala early Spidey. Or like many Timely titles, Centaurs, Frazetta funnies, and well-known classic covers (GGA,  PCH, Schomberg, Nazi-Hitler and other war covers for example)--that remain trophy-case worthy regardless of periodic hype. First issues of key GA titles also  appear to fall into this forever-ish group, like JIM1, ST1, Pep1, etc, but I wouldn't be surprised if many GA first issues do, too. Many collect firsts regardless of hype.  And Looney Tunes #1 with that yellow cover,  a niche category onto itself.  

Ultimately any cool GA book may be fine long term due to supply, but I expect especially a book like Looney Tunes 1 whether or not Bugs Bunny shares the big screen with MJ or Lebron as recently as 2021, or the next generational sports talent.

SA has some keepers, too, not just AF15, but like high grade Silver Surfer 1 and 4 (too legit to quit?) etc. But SA's forte lies in its enduring broad appeal, with so many key appearances and popular artists, that keep supply in check. The pullback since 2022 was expected, but SA "should" be fine long term, esp Spidey, Hulk, FF, X-Men (these titles look like they'll even remain run-worthy investments long term, too, in part because there are so many key appearances). And of course those special DC keys.  Those first appearances including team firsts like Avengers 1 and BB28 have arguably become forever-ish books, despite the inevitable volatility due to supply.  Much more can be said here, but I'll leave it at that.  

See?  Sunshine all around!  :celebration:

Edited by Pantodude
left out early Supes...fixed

On 6/16/2023 at 1:06 PM, Robot Man said:

I bought my BA stuff off the racks so I never had to pay up for any of them. I discovered GA very early and put my money there since it was just so much harder to find back then. Still is.

I just think the market on the other ages have caught up with the crazy prices folks have been paying for very common books. 

Indeed!

On 6/16/2023 at 4:17 PM, mjoeyoung said:

Western, Romance, War, Crime, Funny Animal, Comic Strip characters.  Long term prognosis?  Their dead, Jim.

One genre not mentioned has been horror, especially Pre-Code horror. That seems to be the genre that seems to be the most popular after the superheroes genre. 

EC Comics like Carl Barks duck comics are gold standards.

Edited by The humble Watcher lurking

On 6/16/2023 at 4:17 PM, mjoeyoung said:

Western, Romance, War, Crime, Funny Animal, Comic Strip characters.  Long term prognosis?  They’re dead, Jim.

Given the frequency with which GGA, Sci-Fi, great artists, and cool covers exist in Romance, War, Crime, and even Western genres I find plenty of books of interest to pursue in these.  For example Crime Does Not Pay- so much to like about this title and I expect it will continue to attract more interest. Thirty years ago seemed like you couldn’t give this title away.

On 6/17/2023 at 9:44 AM, whomerjay said:

Given the frequency with which GGA, Sci-Fi, great artists, and cool covers exist in Romance, War, Crime, and even Western genres I find plenty of books of interest to pursue in these.  For example Crime Does Not Pay- so much to like about this title and I expect it will continue to attract more interest. Thirty years ago seemed like you couldn’t give this title away.

Except for #24 of course.

On 6/17/2023 at 5:47 AM, The humble Watcher lurking said:

One genre not mentioned has been horror, especially Pre-Code horror. That seems to be the genre to go after superheroes. 

EC Comics like Carl Barks duck comics are gold standards.

I don’t see that happening other than the fact most are getting so un-affordable that the average collector is pretty much priced out. 

On 6/17/2023 at 10:31 AM, Robot Man said:

I don’t see that happening other than the fact most are getting so un-affordable that the average collector is pretty much priced out. 

I don't think he meant ''to go'' but rather ''to go after'' after superheroes. PCH is here to stay.