• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Are prices still climbing or have they eased up a bit???
43 43

7,351 posts in this topic

On 9/24/2021 at 9:38 AM, Darthbryan said:

I’ve been watching a lot of these Facebook and Instagram claim sales lately, primarily just to see what the real world looks like in comic books - I just don’t trust the results of these big auction houses.

It seems that raw books continue to move fairly well but I have to say that slabbed books tend to sit on these sales.  The main problem is that these guys are trying to sell slabs for 25% - 50% over 90 day avg or even last GPA sale.  They’re just flipping slabbed books that I’ll bet they didn’t get at much of a discount - they don’t seem to be newly cased raw books - so for them to get profit they just need to keep pushing asking prices up.  I saw one last night where a particular books ask was 25% above GPA, and you could find the same book on eBay for well less then GPA.  I’m not sure who these people think their audience is - maybe uneducated people or collectors who don’t do their homework?  A local dealer has a really nice book that he wants $1k more than last sale, and the last sale was a high water mark.  It’s sat for over a month unsold of course.  At some point I just wonder if people are throwing out collection books with prices and they don’t really care if they sell or not. 

I do flip through Instagram from time to time just to see if anything I'm looking for comes up.  I don't have the patience to sit through any of their live claim sales though.

I agree with you that the prices don't make much sense ... and in particular, I roll my eyes at how over-the-top the hype is over extremely common books and low- to mid-grade material.  Nothing against buying those books, but they are not books worth chasing above their established market prices.

About 4 to 6 months ago, as we all know, key books could be priced higher than last sale (within reason) and sell quickly...because prices were continuing to climb. Now that so many books have leveled off (or are declining), some sellers have not changed their selling strategies and books are sitting. I've even found that many buyers are expecting to spend much less than last sale or 90 day average. I think we're in a period of volatility and recalibrating what the market really wants to be. Could be a long road since 2021 was insane for sale prices. 

On 9/24/2021 at 1:03 PM, Tec-Tac-Toe said:

I, and, apparently, others in this thread, am hoping for a decrease in prices so that I may be able to purchase (Gold and Silver) Bronze and Copper comic books at prices I am comfortable paying as, for example, paying $3000 for one that was selling for $1000 a few months ago is far beyond my "comic book purchase comfort level." If prices do not decrease, than I will remain uncomfortably comic book purchase free outside of new releases.

I think you will be waiting for awhile. 2020 was that opportunity. I bought major books that spring for 20 30 even more percent off. Currently things have leveled off and been steady for 4 months. People aren't worried about Ariana Grande. If anything with gift buying season 3 and 4 figure books will rise. January February fall back. Cons and movies will get going full speed. I don't expect to see 2020 prices again for years, decades, or ever unless something drastic happens. 

On 9/24/2021 at 1:44 PM, Thisisrequired said:

I think you will be waiting for awhile. 2020 was that opportunity. I bought major books that spring for 20 30 even more percent off. Currently things have leveled off and been steady for 4 months. People aren't worried about Ariana Grande. If anything with gift buying season 3 and 4 figure books will rise. January February fall back. Cons and movies will get going full speed. I don't expect to see 2020 prices again for years, decades, or ever unless something drastic happens. 

I purchased a proverbial ton of CGC graded comic books for about 15 years, including prior to to the "great price rise," so as far as that goes, I'm set with keys, DC, Marvel, etc,, and, especially Amazing Spider-Man, Batman, and Detective Comics. Still, I continue to enjoy collecting/purchasing but, as stated, will not do so at prices I do not feel comfortable paying.

On 9/24/2021 at 12:12 PM, Motor City Rob said:

Now that so many books have leveled off (or are declining), some sellers have not changed their selling strategies and books are sitting. 

I have several desirable Marvel BA and CA key slabs sitting on eBay right now with pricing that is below GPA and is also the lowest price on eBay for that grade and very few have moved.  I’d rather not go the .99 cent auction route because I’ve been burned on that before.  Things have definitely slowed for the majority of the books out there. 

On 9/24/2021 at 10:16 AM, Sweet Lou 14 said:

I do flip through Instagram from time to time just to see if anything I'm looking for comes up.  I don't have the patience to sit through any of their live claim sales though.

I agree with you that the prices don't make much sense ... and in particular, I roll my eyes at how over-the-top the hype is over extremely common books and low- to mid-grade material.  Nothing against buying those books, but they are not books worth chasing above their established market prices.

I have sat in on some of those. It is still hard to understand the true market based on those live sales, there are certainly some ego purchases as well as some people racing to grab the book before the seller really gives a grade or description. I recall one with a lot of good Silver Age that when the books were quoted as VF- and VF+, the Host and others would ask, "what is the number grade" once they said "8.5" 4-5 people try to buy it. I felt like in that one I only got lucky buying books prior to the host asking for the number. I can't say I have seen something we would consider a key go for a deal in the live sales. The Hosts do a good job of helping hype up the books ( "guys this is a newsstand" and boom gone) to create that FOMO as you mentioned. I have started to see as others have mentioned books sit now though on their feeds and some during the live sales. 

I bought a couple of bigger books this year that were books I had hoped to get last year, they felt like they had (Hulk 1) some increases due to the timing but if they fit what I wanted they came home. What I personally have done is go back into runs and other books I have overlooked like TTA in grade in the past and had decent luck on those. Those are still off the radar for the most part. I had a few DC SA keys I had planned on getting but they just are not coming to market so no sample size there to share.

On 9/24/2021 at 3:59 PM, PKJ said:

I have sat in on some of those. It is still hard to understand the true market based on those live sales, there are certainly some ego purchases as well as some people racing to grab the book before the seller really gives a grade or description. I recall one with a lot of good Silver Age that when the books were quoted as VF- and VF+, the Host and others would ask, "what is the number grade" once they said "8.5" 4-5 people try to buy it. I felt like in that one I only got lucky buying books prior to the host asking for the number. I can't say I have seen something we would consider a key go for a deal in the live sales. The Hosts do a good job of helping hype up the books ( "guys this is a newsstand" and boom gone) to create that FOMO as you mentioned. I have started to see as others have mentioned books sit now though on their feeds and some during the live sales. 

I bought a couple of bigger books this year that were books I had hoped to get last year, they felt like they had (Hulk 1) some increases due to the timing but if they fit what I wanted they came home. What I personally have done is go back into runs and other books I have overlooked like TTA in grade in the past and had decent luck on those. Those are still off the radar for the most part. I had a few DC SA keys I had planned on getting but they just are not coming to market so no sample size there to share.

The only time I sat in on one, the lag between the video and the comment feed was so great that even if you were the first to make a claim, you had no way to tell if they even received it and recognized you as the winner for several minutes.

And yeah, I have no idea why anyone in their right mind would buy raw books under artificially induced pressure conditions.  You have no idea what you're getting.

For a little while, I felt like I was ahead of the curve on books that weren't getting as much attention, but that wore off quickly.  Granted, I do go after high grade, but I find that sellers are still trying to charge ransom prices for perfectly ordinary Bronze Age books in 9.6 -- and forget about any book that has any sort of claim as a "key."

On 9/24/2021 at 5:36 PM, Sweet Lou 14 said:

For a little while, I felt like I was ahead of the curve on books that weren't getting as much attention, but that wore off quickly.  Granted, I do go after high grade, but I find that sellers are still trying to charge ransom prices for perfectly ordinary Bronze Age books in 9.6 -- and forget about any book that has any sort of claim as a "key."

I got in at pre-pandemic prices on a few books that had been on my bucket list:  X-Men 1, FF1, GSX1, X-Men 94, DD1 to name a few. Unfortunately the ones that are left not yet purchased have gotten so far out of reach at mid-grades that I may just not ever bother going after them.  I had been holding out on a TOS39 for awhile since I’m in cash preservation mode with kids going to college next year, but now people want $60k-$70k for a 7.0 which is ridiculous.  Last year it was a $20k book and one sold at auction recently for nearly $50k and people are losing their minds thinking that’s the new normal.  Seems this is happening with so many books these days.  

Edited by Darthbryan

Kinda depends on the books really.

Stating the obvious to most here, but anything that is a genuine SA Marvel Key probably will only stabilise in price - I certainly don't expect any of the top 20 / 30 'top' books to plummet.

Movie books will be movie books. UF #4 , Vengeance #1 etc still have room to go. I'm very bullish of UF #4 still - even when that boardie posted his pic of 200 copies of 1st print UF#4 (well played sir).

Currently there are 11,000 graded by CGC, and probably as many again across at CBCS / PGX or in CGC system - but is 25 / 30,000 slabbed copies going to exceed supply when MM gets a live action debut?

The post movie books will do their usual dance - drop, and slowly settle to the new norm. Some like TWD #1 go back up.

75683101_Capturetwd.JPG.5e5269c604a7bd390076273a2fb0d5ea.JPG

Others like Preacher, Revival, and now seemingly Y-The Last Man are doing a 'Sixth-Gun' like dive.

If a character has a good base / history, and a longevity about them, such as say, Conan they should be Ok (as in not lose 50%of their value in a few months). :wishluck:

The other side of the coin are lesser characters ranging from:

Mr Sinister

1641476098_Capture221.JPG.73fc31999e5547e36529e8c11556067f.JPG

to better known ones such as:

Gambit

1715569424_Capture266.JPG.783b0fc77ddbe431a352baa5d2693db3.JPG

and Deadpool

1729896864_CaptureNM98.JPG.c93cc72a04f2f4efd7093fb2bd9d2cad.JPG

But again - we know that.

The concern is that the 'amateurs' and 'noobs' ,who are mainly the ones spending the ridiculous amounts of money, some of it borrowed, panic in a stampede-like fashion, and dump thousands of these books onto the market and initiate a crash.

It will be great for most of us to get the 'keeper books' that seem to be absurdly expensive right now, but not so good for the short / medium term of this hobby.

If you are buying keys, I guess it's time to be very, very selective.

2c

On 9/24/2021 at 1:57 PM, Tec-Tac-Toe said:

I purchased a proverbial ton of CGC graded comic books for about 15 years, including prior to to the "great price rise," so as far as that goes, I'm set with keys, DC, Marvel, etc,, and, especially Amazing Spider-Man, Batman, and Detective Comics. Still, I continue to enjoy collecting/purchasing but, as stated, will not do so at prices I do not feel comfortable paying.

I am in the same boat except I had a fire sale this spring. I kept some dc but basically all marvel went. I figure xmen and ff will keep rising as movie rumors heat up but not enough to hold onto at those prices. First dozen years of this century were pretty sweet. Now it seems the first 20 were. I am still buying just as much, just not keys. 

On 9/24/2021 at 3:24 PM, Darthbryan said:

I have several desirable Marvel BA and CA key slabs sitting on eBay right now with pricing that is below GPA and is also the lowest price on eBay for that grade and very few have moved.  I’d rather not go the .99 cent auction route because I’ve been burned on that before.  Things have definitely slowed for the majority of the books out there. 

Same here. My kid has been listing minor keys 1 to 2k and says everything is down a hundred or two from august and not much is moving. 

On 9/24/2021 at 6:03 PM, Tec-Tac-Toe said:

I, and, apparently, others in this thread, am hoping for a decrease in prices so that I may be able to purchase (Gold and Silver) Bronze and Copper comic books at prices I am comfortable paying as, for example, paying $3000 for one that was selling for $1000 a few months ago is far beyond my "comic book purchase comfort level." If prices do not decrease, than I will remain uncomfortably comic book purchase free outside of new releases.

Totally agree. As much as I like the value of my comics going up, I'm not into making any money from them. Even to buy other books. It seems that it's all about the money for some people, while for me it's about not being able to obtain comics anymore due to the prices asked. I'd happily see a correction, esp for the run of the mill comics that are being dragged up in price for no really good reason. Even lower grades are being hit with serious increases.

(I do want to make clear though, I have nothing against people making serious money from their books when they choose to sell. They've made good buying decisions, good investments. It's the effect on us mere mortals and our ability to participate in the hobby due to the price hikes / hype that bothers me.)

On 9/25/2021 at 7:19 AM, jharvey said:
On 9/24/2021 at 6:59 PM, lizards2 said:

I put all my $ into high grade Charltons :D

Don't lie. I saw you buy a high grade Avengers #1 not too long ago.

Never thought an 8.0 would be considered high grade..., :baiting:

Those early Marvels sure seem to have a Charlton quality about them.