• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Are prices still climbing or have they eased up a bit???
43 43

7,083 posts in this topic

On 10/6/2021 at 10:05 PM, Dr. Dank said:

To be fair, those books are only going up. If he bought them when they were printed, he's definitely making money 

With the exception of Spider-Man #1 which has very little value, yes I agree ... if you bought a pile of these for cover price, then you're making money.  But there's no guarantee of that so I don't think we can assume that.  I look at that pile of 9.8 copies of NM #98 and wonder, how long would it take to liquidate?  You'd have a hard time getting the same price for your third copy as you got for your first ... much less the 10th or 20th.

On 10/6/2021 at 8:17 PM, Sweet Lou 14 said:

With the exception of Spider-Man #1 which has very little value, yes I agree ... if you bought a pile of these for cover price, then you're making money.  But there's no guarantee of that so I don't think we can assume that.  I look at that pile of 9.8 copies of NM #98 and wonder, how long would it take to liquidate?  You'd have a hard time getting the same price for your third copy as you got for your first ... much less the 10th or 20th.

Agreed. Not about the Spiderman 1 though, seen those go for 100 bucks at 9.8 lately

Edited by Dr. Dank

On 10/7/2021 at 1:21 PM, Dr. Dank said:
On 10/7/2021 at 1:17 PM, Sweet Lou 14 said:

Agreed. Not about the Spiderman 1 though, seen those go for 100 bucks at 9.8 lately

Add in time value, slabbing fee's, and any 9.6's or less are losses against the costs incurred for a decade or two.    

On 10/7/2021 at 12:21 PM, blazingbob said:
On 10/7/2021 at 11:30 AM, Microchip said:

Screen Shot 2021-10-07 at 11.28.01 am.png

Screen Shot 2021-10-07 at 11.29.05 am.png

Screen Shot 2021-10-07 at 11.30.12 am.png

Expand  

I see you missed the "just in time" inventory management class.  

For you, this makes a lot of sense... and I wouldn't expect anything different.   For me, there's too many other books I'm missing out on, looking at these pictures.

I personally buy multiples to sell at a later date, to fund other purchasing.   Or like in the early CGC days, chasing a truly proper high grade copy, not one that technically made the grade.   

On 10/6/2021 at 10:21 PM, Dr. Dank said:

I sincerely apologize for saying this, and I know I'm probably going to come across as a jerk even though it's absolutely not my intent ... but IMHO $100 for a 9.8 is pretty much "worthless."  Now, trust me, I do have a 9.8 copy for sentimental value, but I don't see it as having any real value as an investment.

On 10/6/2021 at 8:31 PM, Sweet Lou 14 said:

I sincerely apologize for saying this, and I know I'm probably going to come across as a jerk even though it's absolutely not my intent ... but IMHO $100 for a 9.8 is pretty much "worthless."  Now, trust me, I do have a 9.8 copy for sentimental value, but I don't see it as having any real value as an investment.

I actually agree, but as they say, the numbahs are da numbahs

On 10/6/2021 at 10:17 PM, Sweet Lou 14 said:

He could liquidate all of them in a month or 2 easily. Get top dollar for each one. He would have to auction them all off at the same time or something to lose money. For an investment strategy it's terrible but if that is how someone likes to collect then cool. 

On 10/6/2021 at 9:51 PM, Sweet Lou 14 said:

I honestly don't get it.  What is the point of hoarding this many copies of a single issue?  There is no realistic way to avoid a loss, much less get an actual return on that investment.

I kinda wonder how many of those pics are dealers.

I think you will be surprised at what shows up for them to buy. About 8 years ago I had someone answer a Craigslist ad saying they had sealed cases of comics. Since I collect GI joe I was all over it and bought all the books, There were a min of 25 of most titles in this era, The Nam, GI joe, transformers etc. 200 copies of Gi joe 24 was the highest Count And I paid about 10% of cover price (probably less since I paid 400 for everything) since I bought them all. I could sell 2 copies of a couple of them in 9.8 and recover the initial investment. Now it would take forever to sell them all granted but margin wise a dealer could do well. I did send in a stack to cgc to start selling.If GI joe 24 is still selling for what it sells now in 9.8, one book will recover the initial investment. 

I also recall Rick selling over 100 copies of IH181 a year so supply for some books never hurt.

F20A27F7-77A4-4466-9B30-477632606599.jpeg

Edited by PKJ

On 10/6/2021 at 8:25 PM, Microchip said:

Don't forget people, there's folks out there waayyyyy more "collective" than you.    Be discerning, and picky about where you lay your money down.

Screen Shot 2021-10-07 at 11.20.28 am.png

Screen Shot 2021-10-07 at 11.22.02 am.png

Screen Shot 2021-10-07 at 11.23.00 am.png

Hey - that's my table in the Av Annual 10 picture.  I still have about 250 copies but they are slowly dwindling

On 10/6/2021 at 10:31 PM, Sweet Lou 14 said:

Could you explain your reasoning a bit more since I'm not sure I get your point.  Are you saying $100 is not much money or getting $100 9.8s slabbed is a waste of time and money?