• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Making Ewert (Ejaenter) Data available to forumites

108 posts in this topic

Do you really think that a buyer that has purchased a book from him especially a very high dollar book would be willing to risk sending this book in for re cert?

By doing this they stand to loose a big amount of money.

I really don't think that is realistic.

The game only works if Brulato supplies the CGC numbers for the books that he and Ewert were partners with before you send in the book. Then, Brulato will have the risk. Now you have no upside.

Do you really think that a buyer that has purchased a book from him especially a very high dollar book would be willing to risk sending this book in for re cert?

Sorry ablue, in an effort to trim some info out (particularly for this thread), I deleted some important info you need to be aware of…

…I had a long conversation with Steve who contacted Brulato and I heard back from them very quickly with a enthusiastic response. Both are very much in favor of my making this information public. I was not seeking their permission… only letting them know that I had data that may be even more useful than Tom's invoices in case he was going to share that information soon. However, that info contains only the serial #. The data I have is more complete and will help Tom determine which books were sold on ebay and which he and/or Jason sold privately or on websites. As I understand it, Tom has been, and will continue to contact buyers of the books in question that were not sold on Ebay to offer the owners the same courtesy as those here at the forum are aware of, the Free CGC Re-Certification and a commitment by Tom to reimburse the owners of any book he was co-owner of if found to be restored, and to assist in pressuring Jason to refund any money from books he owned independently that are found to be restored.

To reiterate…

After this list is posted, anyone that owns any of these books is encouraged to send them back to CGC if they feel uncomfortable… or feel they owe it to a new prospective buyer to Re-Certify the book. I may make the list available (without names) in speadsheet format as well for circulation.

ablue;

This is actaully a very good point here and might end up having the opposite effect of what was intended.

In order to avoid a potential significant loss on their purchases, some buyers might simply crack out the books and resubmit them as raw books at some future point in time when this controversy has subsided a bit.

As a result, instead of identifying the possible trimmed books in the end, this could possibly result in some trimmed books receiving new non-traceable unrestored designated labels 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Did everyone that requested their personal purchase data receive it?

...and some who didn't,... tongue.gif

Jeeez… just trying to look out for you

sorry.gif

aw jeez,..don't cry beeyotch,...I hate it when Bruce cries,.... flowerred.gif

Did everyone that requested their personal purchase data receive it?

...and some who didn't,... tongue.gif

Jeeez… just trying to look out for you

sorry.gif

aw jeez,..don't cry beeyotch,...I hate it when Bruce cries,.... flowerred.gif

confused-smiley-013.gif

Lou…

Did you see this?

As I understand it, Tom has been, and will continue to contact buyers of the books in question that were not sold on Ebay to offer the owners the same courtesy as those here at the forum are aware of, the Free CGC Re-Certification and a commitment by Tom to reimburse the owners of any book he was co-owner of if found to be restored, and to assist in pressuring Jason to refund any money from books he owned independently that are found to be restored

Many thanks to bronzebruce for sending me the list of purchases I have made from JE and for his thorough efforts in getting the information together.

I am setting out below for the benefit of all forumites a list I have compiled using the data Bruce sent me and containing all the CGC serial numbers. All of the books are still with me – all but 4 are still in my personal collection and these other 4 are currently for sale on my website.

CGC S/N Title/Issue CGC Notes/Current Status

Grade

0056894007 Silver Surfer, The (1968-1982) #5 9.4 In personal collection – old label

0053213010 Amazing Spider-Man, The (1963) #161 9.6 In personal collection – old label

0054410010 Incredible Hulk, The (Annuals) #8 9.4 For sale on CCC Website – old label

0053212004 Giant-Size Spider-Man (1974-1975) #2 9.4 For sale on CCC Website – old label

0053220019 Marvel Super-Heroes (1967-1982) #15 9.4 In personal collection – old label

0109027008 Marvel Collectors' Item Classics (1965-1969) #16 9.6 In personal collection – old label

0065066015 Marvel Super-Heroes (1967-1982) #12 9.4 In personal collection – old label

0065087008 Amazing Spider-Man, The (Annuals) #11 9.6 In personal collection – old label

0065093013 Avengers, The (1963) #64 9.4 For sale on CCC Website

0073595011 Marvel Team-Up (1972-1985) #8 9.4 For sale on CCC Website

0080590019 Silver Surfer, The (1968-1982) #1 9.4 In personal collection

0080576002 Giant-Size X-Men (1975) #1 9.6 In personal collection

0080593008 X-Men, The (1963-1981) #56 9.4 In personal collection

0074013010 Sgt. Fury (Annuals) #6 9.6 In personal collection

0080528002 Giant-Size Invaders (1975) #1 9.6 In personal collection

0093327007 Adventure Comics (1938-1983) #403 9.4 In personal collection

0098376017 Rawhide Kid (Annuals) #1 9.6 In personal collection

0098422011 Amazing Spider-Man, The (Annuals) #10 9.6 In personal collection

0098439005 Astonishing Tales (1970-1976) #1 9.6 In personal collection

0098498012 Captain America (Annuals) #1 9.6 In personal collection

0098456011 Giant-Size Captain America (1975) #1 9.6 In personal collection

0098436002 Giant-Size Defenders (1974-1975) #5 9.6 In personal collection

0098436003 Giant-Size Dracula (1974-1975) #5 9.6 In personal collection

0098416003 Rawhide Kid (1955-1979) #44 9.4 In personal collection

0098416002 Rawhide Kid (1955-1979) #55 9.4 In personal collection

0002055003 Invaders, The (Annuals) #1 9.8 In personal collection

0607540003 Giant-Size Fantastic Four (1974-1975) #4 9.6 In personal collection

After having read all the comments on the Boards over the weekend, the following reflects my thoughts and the policy I intend to adopt:

1 I do not at the moment intend to send all these books in to CGC for review because:

a) I doubt whether most of these books have been trimmed – they are mostly not big bucks books and most originate from later than the date when overhangs were prevalent; and

b) only the last 7 books on the list were purchased this year and if Steve Borock says he has strong grounds for believing that any trimming only occurred during the last 7 months, you can bet he will have done his digging to obtain evidence to that effect; and

c) apart from the 4 books currently up for sale on my website that I have since obtained better copies of, I have no intention to sell any of the other books so only I have to live with any tainted history that there may be; and

d) I am not yet worried enough to incur the cost of shipping across the Atlantic and back.

2 Even though I doubt these books have been trimmed, I have a suspicion given JE’s history that some or all may have been pressed. Since CGC are unable to detect pressing this will only ever be guesswork but the suspicion will remain.

3 I have not the slightest bit of restoration detection skill and so it is pointless me even looking at the books through the holders to try and form an opinion as to whether the books appear trimmed or not.

4 I might submit these books to CGC for review at a later, more convenient date but, for the moment I am going to regard my books as being tainted with suspicion but innocent until proven guilty.

5 If I receive an order through my website for any of the books on this list, I shall, whether asked or not, disclose to the potential buyer that it was purchased from JE. This will enable those potential buyers who want to keep clear of books that have suspicions of pressing or trimming to do so.

6 If any buyer of any book on this list has it reviewed by CGC and it is found to be restored, I will make a full refund including of any shipping costs and costs incurred in getting the book reviewed (again including shipping to and back from CGC).

Like all other forumites, I am hugely disappointed that greed has planted another scoundrel in our midst. I am also saddened to read on the Boards the lynch mob mentality wanting to hang CGC. The fact that CGC made a couple of mistakes shows them to be nothing more than human. As soon as they learned of these mistakes, they acted properly and honourably to resolve. Surely they can be forgiven for this?

Anyone who knows Steve Borock will know that he is hurting more than anyone over all this. My humble view is that CGC should be remembered for all the enormous good it has done in our hobby and not for a couple of mistakes out of many, many thousands of books. Were it not for CGC, we would not have these Boards, we would have the bad old days of buying raw books with color touches, married pages, trimmed books, etc., etc. and not having any idea whether a book had been restored or not.

CGC have, for me at least, made the hobby much more pleasurable (even if more expensive!) and so for my part I want to rally round CGC and support them in these troubled times, rather than hang them for being human like the rest of us!

Like all other forumites, I am hugely disappointed that greed has planted another scoundrel in our midst. I am also saddened to read on the Boards the lynch mob mentality wanting to hang CGC. The fact that CGC made a couple of mistakes shows them to be nothing more than human. As soon as they learned of these mistakes, they acted properly and honourably to resolve. Surely they can be forgiven for this?

Anyone who knows Steve Borock will know that he is hurting more than anyone over all this. My humble view is that CGC should be remembered for all the enormous good it has done in our hobby and not for a couple of mistakes out of many, many thousands of books. Were it not for CGC, we would not have these Boards, we would have the bad old days of buying raw books with color touches, married pages, trimmed books, etc., etc. and not having any idea whether a book had been restored or not.

CGC have, for me at least, made the hobby much more pleasurable (even if more expensive!) and so for my part I want to rally round CGC and support them in these troubled times, rather than hang them for being human like the rest of us!

Amen to that. CGC is not perfect and never will be, but they are better at certified grading than anybody else right now.

Hi Mark:

I greatly respect your opinion on this issue. While I agree we are better off with CGC then without, the part that has dissappointed me the most is not that CGC didn't spot the trimming, but that they have CLEARLY STATED that they would not release VIA Submission serial numbers.

Fortunately, many board members including myself have done research to find many of these invoices numbers. But that was not through the help of CGC. Basically, they have stated that it is the COLLECTORS responsibilty to tract down whatever information is need to prove the book was submitted by VIA and once that's done they will recheck the book for trimming.

In addition, the amount of books that have been trimmed seems to be greater than what has been shown. As I showed in one batch of around 100 books, 7 books were caught trimmed including 4 BA books that should not have had an overhang.

How many slipped thru could be zero or all. We do not know, and CGC is not giving any details. Until that happens, all books from VIA will be suspect.

I think the overall climate on the board is one of genuine desire to help the collecting community (including CGC) deal with this by weeding out potentially tampered books rather than to stand idly by and point fingers at CGC. Identifying the affected books and removing them from the marketplace is a crucial step in maintaining consumer confidence in the hundreds of thousands of other books CGC has graded that do not have any problems.

Anyone who wishes to see CGC and the hobby fail as a result of this situtation doesn't belong on these forums. While there has been disappointment expressed at CGC's inability to publicly disclose some information, most of us do recognize all the great things they have given the hobby. I know I want to see them continue to thrive and pull through what Stephen Fischler has accurately described as a crisis.

I don't know if this has been addressed before... but does anyone have a combined dollar value of all of Ewert's transactions on eBay? (and on ComicLink, Pedigreecomics, etc.)

Is it possible to extrapolate how many actual dollars are involved here?