• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Nit Picky - Ebay listings Pet Peeve

100 posts in this topic

51 minutes ago, Buzzetta said:

That's on the shoulders of eBay's Global Shipping Program.   That's the beauty of it.  There is really no difference to that than the porch pirates picking things up that don't belong to them here on Long Island. 

Till Buzz introduces them to his lil' friend.

1 hour ago, Buzzetta said:

Shipping is on the buyer and that is between the GSP and the buyer.   From what I hear it is costly.  I only see the shipping rate and receive funds for shipping to Kentucky from NY.   Buyer's complain because they pay more if the seller opts into the GSP.  What they need to understand is that due to package theft and other variables, there are many sellers that will not sell without the protection that the GSP offers sellers.   

Thanks. Do buyers still hate it as much as they did when it first started? From what I've seen on the boards, it seems like it's the cost of doing business anymore.

35 minutes ago, awakeintheashes said:

Thanks. Do buyers still hate it as much as they did when it first started? From what I've seen on the boards, it seems like it's the cost of doing business anymore.

They know what they are doing when they are buying it so the item must be worth it to them to follow through with it.

The last two sales I had using GSP was a Star Wars vehicle and figure for $90 + Whatever fees eBay threw on + shipping to the buyer and the comic which was $325 + GSP fees and shipping.   I am sure that GSP turned away a few buyers and I have had people in the past ask me if I would sell outside of GSP.  When it comes to international fees and eBay I have to preserve my interests.   I cannot 'hope' that customs won't delay a package.  I cannot 'hope' that someone in the customs chain won't steal a package.  If the buyer wants the item that badly they will buy the item as provided by GSP.  If they do not want to do that they can find a seller that can provide what they are looking for through the way that they want to pay. 

I know it sounds arrogant and I know it sounds obnoxious but it is what it is and I have seen too much trouble with international sales to do it any other way.  

12 minutes ago, Buzzetta said:

I know it sounds arrogant

That's what she said.

1 hour ago, letsgrumble said:

Thank you reynoldjay2010. In my search for bronze-age X-Men books in CGC 9.8, your listing for X-O Manowar #0 1992 wraparound chromium cover in CBCS 9.8 comes up. I would never have found it otherwise. Mostly because I would have never searched for it.

listings.thumb.png.7010b0d574e0c12420504a0e87c929fc.png

It looks like the only mistake he made was listing it in Bronze Age Sci Fi / horror instead of Copper Age / Modern Sci Fi Horror.  Many times, eBay draws in books from outside the field.  In this case they took the X and Man of X-O Manowar and looped it into an X-Men search.  eBay search engine is weird like that.  I have noticed that if I have a string of words, say, "1998 Lego Train Station" I will yield a different number and set of results than if I search, "Lego Train Station 1998" or another rearrangement. 

Screen Shot 2021-05-10 at 9.32.13 AM.png

"Freshly graded" "freshly slabbed" "fresh from CGC/CBCS/wherever" is my peeve.  I don't know why, but it bugs me reading a listing with that in the title.  I picture some farmer growing slabs in a field and he has to sell them before the comic inside becomes rotten and decayed.

3 hours ago, Buzzetta said:

It looks like the only mistake he made was listing it in Bronze Age Sci Fi / horror instead of Copper Age / Modern Sci Fi Horror.  Many times, eBay draws in books from outside the field.  In this case they took the X and Man of X-O Manowar and looped it into an X-Men search.  eBay search engine is weird like that.  I have noticed that if I have a string of words, say, "1998 Lego Train Station" I will yield a different number and set of results than if I search, "Lego Train Station 1998" or another rearrangement. 

Screen Shot 2021-05-10 at 9.32.13 AM.png

Ahh, that make's sense. I can't give full credit to Mr. Jay!  lol

Ok what the devil is the seller trying to state here? This listing is for 10 books, the starting bid is $1 with no bids currently.

THIS IS VERY IMPORTANT .                                                                                                              IF YOU DO WIN , AND WANT TO KEEP BIDDING ,TELL ME AND  LET ME KNOW BEFORE YOU DO , I WILL GIVE YOU UP TO 3 EXTRA DAYS TO KEEP BIDDING AND  I NEED TO KNOW THE  SPECIFIC DATE  WITHIN THE 3 DAY BIDDING PERIOD  AND  TELLING ME  A FEW DAYS OR A COUPLE OF DAYS IS NOT ACCEPTED . YOU WILL HAVE 3 DAYS TO PAY AFTER RECEIVING THE FINAL INVOICE.                  IF YOU DO NOT PAY OR KEEP BIDDING WITHOUT LETTING ME KNOW ,  YOU WILL BE PUT  ON THE NON BIDDER LIST PERMENANTLY .

1 hour ago, Angel of Death said:

It's peeves me when someone says "No Returns" despite the fact that eBay will force the return anyways.

Know your platform and your audience.

Again, not true. 

Edited by Buzzetta

12 hours ago, frozentundraguy said:

Ok what the devil is the seller trying to state here? This listing is for 10 books, the starting bid is $1 with no bids currently.

THIS IS VERY IMPORTANT .                                                                                                              IF YOU DO WIN , AND WANT TO KEEP BIDDING ,TELL ME AND  LET ME KNOW BEFORE YOU DO , I WILL GIVE YOU UP TO 3 EXTRA DAYS TO KEEP BIDDING AND  I NEED TO KNOW THE  SPECIFIC DATE  WITHIN THE 3 DAY BIDDING PERIOD  AND  TELLING ME  A FEW DAYS OR A COUPLE OF DAYS IS NOT ACCEPTED . YOU WILL HAVE 3 DAYS TO PAY AFTER RECEIVING THE FINAL INVOICE.                  IF YOU DO NOT PAY OR KEEP BIDDING WITHOUT LETTING ME KNOW ,  YOU WILL BE PUT  ON THE NON BIDDER LIST PERMENANTLY .

They must mean that if the buyer wins an auction but wants to bid on other auctions that the seller is running that will be ending a couple of days from now.  

5 minutes ago, Angel of Death said:

How so?

I turned down another one a few months ago.   Denied the return.  eBay took my side.  

However, I did have a shrieking "Karen" who wanted to return something that I happily took back.  She knew how to play the game well.  I took it back and already resold it for more than she paid.  She had to pay return shipping though. 

I DO know someone that recently sold a comic book though that the guy doubted the validity of the grade and eBay forced him to take it back but he is not a power seller so therein might be where the difference.

I do not offer returns and that scares away a lot of the, 'wear it out and return it crowd."

18 minutes ago, Buzzetta said:

I turned down another one a few months ago.   Denied the return.  eBay took my side.  

However, I did have a shrieking "Karen" who wanted to return something that I happily took back.  She knew how to play the game well.  I took it back and already resold it for more than she paid.  She had to pay return shipping though. 

I DO know someone that recently sold a comic book though that the guy doubted the validity of the grade and eBay forced him to take it back but he is not a power seller so therein might be where the difference.

I do not offer returns and that scares away a lot of the, 'wear it out and return it crowd."

I only stay away from No Return sellers when they have a paragraph of "the onus is on you after it is marked shipped", which I see all too often.

2 minutes ago, Angel of Death said:

I only stay away from No Return sellers when they have a paragraph of "the onus is on you after it is marked shipped", which I see all too often.

People are putting things like that because people believe that if they are the victim of a porch pirate that it falls upon the seller to make it right.   There was a board member here who reached out to me for advice on that. He sold something to someone and the package went missing after it was delivered.   Not your problem as a seller.  Sorry that crime is a problem in your area. (shrug)

8 minutes ago, Buzzetta said:

People are putting things like that because people believe that if they are the victim of a porch pirate that it falls upon the seller to make it right.   There was a board member here who reached out to me for advice on that. He sold something to someone and the package went missing after it was delivered.   Not your problem as a seller.  Sorry that crime is a problem in your area. (shrug)

I can't disagree. The way some of these sellers put it, though, seems sketchy as Hel. So I usually avoid them to make sure that I am not getting scammed.

Long story short: I once had an ammo order go missing despite being marked "delivered". The seller helped me pressure FedEx and it eventually got recovered and properly delivered. (Bare minimum) customer service matters to me, as a legit buyer.

Edited by Angel of Death