• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Nit Picky - Ebay listings Pet Peeve

100 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, Angel of Death said:

I can't disagree. The way some of these sellers put it, though, seems sketchy as Hel. So I usually avoid them to make sure that I am not getting scammed.

Long story short: I once had an ammo order go missing despite being marked "delivered". The seller helped me pressure FedEx and it eventually got recovered and properly delivered. (Bare minimum) customer service matters to me, as a legit buyer.

There is a difference between customer service and bearing responsibility. 

But delivered is "delivered."

Just because you claim that your $50 GI Joe figure was stolen off your porch does not always mean it was.  As a buyer, I would never dream of contacting a seller after a porch pirate incident and tell the seller that they have to make me whole.

I had an incident two months ago on Facebook.  I sold a $25 action figure.   Now the culture is very different in these groups and you are basically required to not only provide tracking but to take a picture of the label on the package to confirm that one has been printed and that the address is correct.  So, I did that. I show the picture.  The buyer gives me a thumbs up.   After it was sent out the buyer wrote me to tell me that the address they provided in PayPal was wrong.  Um... yeah...  I sent a note in the mail to the same address with my contact information seeking a return and never heard from whoever received it. 

Whoever lives there now did god knows what with it but the buyer was out on that one.

I mean what are you supposed to do with that one?  

On 5/9/2021 at 4:50 PM, kav said:

He does this even when their gambit is "I'm a struggling single mom barely making it but I need this jewelry to survive" folks.

My wife sells a lot of $20-$40 jewelry on ebay, and she's gotten versions of this. So you can't afford $32 for a pair of earings, but at $20 you now have money to spare?

3 minutes ago, thehumantorch said:

How do you expect a struggling single mom to maintain her self esteem without new jewelry?

bingo

8 minutes ago, rjpb said:

My wife sells a lot of $20-$40 jewelry on ebay, and she's gotten versions of this. So you can't afford $32 for a pair of earings, but at $20 you now have money to spare?

@Buzzetta is your soul brother on this.

On 5/9/2021 at 5:13 AM, SeniorSurfer said:

All these are valid and annoying to a degree but the one that gets me most is the guy who doesn't post a major defect in the title, like "restored" or "missing coupon" or "CT."  To be sure, most won't do that because it would cut down on traffic, but... :frustrated:  

There's one guy in particular (he's been talked about here before) where not only the title indicates nothing, but the description tends to minimize major defects (trimming on three sides, slight trimming, slight CT) and hiding them in the body of text while continuing to emphasize what a beautiful NM book it is. 

It's even more annoying when a book is missing pages, but the seller puts a grade in the listing title and description with no mention of qualifications, and then mentions the missing pages in a block of text after describing less important condition details first. I hastily pulled the trigger on a book like this not that long ago, somehow not noticing the "missing a page" note. I returned the book, informing the seller that even GD condition implies completeness and they might want to consider highlighting such a flaw. They went ahead and relisted without changes. 

1 minute ago, rjpb said:

It's even more annoying when a book is missing pages, but the seller puts a grade in the listing title and description with no mention of qualifications, and then mentions the missing pages in a block of text after describing less important condition details first. I hastily pulled the trigger on a book like this not that long ago, somehow not noticing the "missing a page" note. I returned the book, informing the seller that even GD condition implies completeness and they might want to consider highlighting such a flaw. They went ahead and relisted without changes. 

hopin for a dum dum that doesnt check the pages and just slips the book into his collection or sends off to CGC.

15 minutes ago, rjpb said:

I am in the $100-$250 range per item.  So the nonsense grows exponentially.  

This is the last year.   I am honestly feeling weary and working from home has spoiled me.  I do not know if I am going to continue dealing with then nonsense and then rushing home to make a post office drop after doing a 3.5 hr round trip commute each day. 

13 minutes ago, Buzzetta said:

I am in the $100-$250 range per item.  So the nonsense grows exponentially.  

This is the last year.   I am honestly feeling weary and working from home has spoiled me.  I do not know if I am going to continue dealing with then nonsense and then rushing home to make a post office drop after doing a 3.5 hr round trip commute each day. 

there's something about costume jewelry that just brings out the bargain hunter.  I suggest list for $100 more than you want, let em do their deal, think they pulled one over on you and sell.

3 minutes ago, kav said:

there's something about costume jewelry that just brings out the bargain hunter.  I suggest list for $100 more than you want, let em do their deal, think they pulled one over on you and sell.

I am not selling costume jewelry 

9 minutes ago, Buzzetta said:

I am not selling costume jewelry 

I didnt know the correct term.  I know its not diamonds etc in that price range.

2 minutes ago, kav said:

I didnt know the correct term.  I know its not diamonds etc in that price range.

Oh no, not Diamonds but there are actual gemstones and precious metals. 

1 minute ago, Buzzetta said:

Oh no, not Diamonds but there are actual gemstones and precious metals. 

whats the correct term?  I'm just trying to learn.

26 minutes ago, kav said:

I know you said enhancers but is there a better term?

Just sold a necklace for a relative on their account for $325.  Sterling Silver with a gemstone in the center of it. 

2 hours ago, thehumantorch said:

Yep.  Is this really a charity and whom does it benefit? 

I don't believe the seller uses the money to charity for them.  How can the seller afford the books if he donates money?

I bet the seller is dodging tax.  It is still going on for a long time.