• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Best way to ship 6 Full CGC Short boxes to Clink... Advice Please
5 5

56 posts in this topic

So with the current market craziness I decided to sell a bunch of slabs on Clink to buy my first house! It only took me 47 years to pull the trigger on this milestone! Anyways I'm trying to make the June auction and am not sure the best way to get them to Clink. I was thinking to tape up the short boxes and then insulate them in a larger box and ship via FedEX.  The cost of this scares the hell out of me though :roflmao:Any advice is welcome please!!!

Edited by Xenosmilus

First, congratulations.

@shadroch I think has experience with things like this and I think he made mention of it once before with sending a large quantity of books to MCS. 

Also I would call comiclink to see if they are doing any shows in the area that would make it reasonable to attend the show and pass them off to them directly.  I have done that before at NYCC. 

20 minutes ago, Buzzetta said:

First, congratulations.

@shadroch I think has experience with things like this and I think he made mention of it once before with sending a large quantity of books to MCS. 

Also I would call comiclink to see if they are doing any shows in the area that would make it reasonable to attend the show and pass them off to them directly.  I have done that before at NYCC. 

I emailed my list to Clink and asked for advice for shipping.  All they said was ship via FedEX....Ugh.  Since it's the next auction I don't think there are any shows near the DC metro area. In regards to @lizards2 advice I'm in the DC metro area and they are in Maine but I think I did read some where that they have an office in New Jersey??? I'll call them and double check.  I could defiantly make the drive to Jersey.

21 minutes ago, lizards2 said:

If you're paying for 6 short boxes of books for grading, I would make the drive - it's not that far.  And probably no shipping damage that way. 2c

no kidding ,... i would even take a road trip from Michigan to NY if i were to have six short boxes of CGC graded comics for MCS

1 hour ago, lizards2 said:

If you're paying for 6 short boxes of books for grading, I would make the drive - it's not that far.  And probably no shipping damage that way. 2c

Actually you are right! it's an 8.5 hour drive so not too bad. But gas and time technically speaking it would cost more but WTH I have been losing vacation days. We max out at 200 hours of vacation and I have only taken 1, 4 day vacation in 6 years :roflmao:.

Edited by Xenosmilus

33 minutes ago, Xenosmilus said:

Actually you are right! it's an 8 hour drive so not too bad. But gas and time technically speaking it would would cost more but WTH I have been losing vacation days. We max out at 200 hours of vacation and I have only taken 1, 4 day vacation in 6 years :roflmao:.

I say make the drive.  I would if I were in your shoes.  I wish Comiclink would come to the Dallas area. I would drop off some books for sure and save the headache of shipping them.

On another note, are there any opinions on whether the June or July auction is a more lucrative month?  I'm thinking June under the circumstances because maybe by July the market craziness maybe over due to restrictions being lifted....

I would drive them. Shipping seems to be what $200 $400 plus insurance? Comic link just puts them in a short box but little bigger with inch or two thick cardboard all around with some bubble wrap in middle of slabs. Sometimes they make it fine. Sometimes few cracked. Few times dozen cracked. I would at put sheet of bubble or card between every book. And bubble wrap the entire bunch of books. I would take a week off drive up the comics then spend a week coming home hitting up every comic shop I could. Start rebuilding that collection. 

Edited by I_Am_Not_A_Cat
Outs to puts

5 hours ago, I_Am_Not_A_Cat said:

I would drive them. Shipping seems to be what $200 $400 plus insurance? Comic link just puts them in a short box but little bigger with inch or two thick cardboard all around with some bubble wrap in middle of slabs. Sometimes they make it fine. Sometimes few cracked. Few times dozen cracked. I would at put sheet of bubble or card between every book. And bubble wrap the entire bunch of books. I would take a week off drive up the comics then spend a week coming home hitting up every comic shop I could. Start rebuilding that collection. 

Edited 5 hours ago by I_Am_Not_A_Cat
Outs to puts

Absolutely yes.

8 hours ago, Xenosmilus said:

On another note, are there any opinions on whether the June or July auction is a more lucrative month?  I'm thinking June under the circumstances because maybe by July the market craziness maybe over due to restrictions being lifted....

You will not have much of a choice in that matter since there are other people who may have the same book queued in their auction schedule.   I am sure CLink is currently sitting on multiple Hulk 181's and ASM 300's to auction off.  If you notice in the last auction they space certain books out over the multiple sessions.  There might be an ASM 300 9.0 in the copper and modern session and another ASM 300 in a 9.0 in the miscellaneous auctions toward the end. 

2 hours ago, Xenosmilus said:

I just heard back and can drop them off in New Jersey which is only 4.5 hours away!!!:banana:

Smart move.  If you are selling them to purchase a home would you be willing to risk your home in the mail?  

Smart choice.

I would recommend though steering clear of comic book shops on the way home though.  As you said this is a seller's market.  Any money you spent could have gone toward... the home. 

9 hours ago, wombat said:

Where in NJ are they?

The Hellish part?

1 minute ago, wombat said:
11 minutes ago, lizards2 said:

The Hellish part?

You are going to need to narrow that down for me. 

As a resident, you are going to have to narrow that down for me. :cool: