• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I lucked out on a giant pile of coverless I bought...... hidden gem alert... Adventure 40
2 2

57 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, Courageous Cat said:

of course they leave bidders identities blind. They learned they can make loads more when a seller runs up the tab on his own auction. Theres really no other reason for it 

I have a lot of negatives for eBay.  Someone who committed shills and got punished for it but eBay did not extract those bids.  eBay is rather to have money from us.

On 5/14/2021 at 5:42 PM, gadzukes said:

I 100% agree.

Also.... I find it fun and challenging to piece together some rare comics.  I don't have the funds to buy slabbed mega keys, so if I can piece together a mega key by buying an incomplete copy and then looking thru auctions like this for CFs or outerwraps.  I have pieced together complete copies of Superman 1, Cap 1, All Star 8, using this method.  

That’s awesome! Super impressive I must say!

44 minutes ago, Sauce Dog said:

Works even better with my updated cover so we actually have a decent Scarecrow 1st appearance cover :D
I love this first appearance so much, but always thought the cover was a disappointment (hell, Scarecrow only have one single GA cover ever is a shame that needed to be fixed!)

https://www.instagram.com/p/B7s9mOzH82W/

Dude, that is SO awesome.  Well done.  Now do ST 110.

2 hours ago, Sauce Dog said:

Works even better with my updated cover so we actually have a decent Scarecrow 1st appearance cover :D
I love this first appearance so much, but always thought the cover was a disappointment (hell, Scarecrow only have one single GA cover ever is a shame that needed to be fixed!)

Pretty good cover and a nice splash from WF 3...

42543350035_9066c6a1ee_b.jpg1948256536_4b2e22d646_b.jpg

Edited by BB-Gun

3 hours ago, Bandelier said:

Was the interior of the Flash #17 in this lot? The seller had the covers only in a separate lot I was bidding on. I was curious if the rest of the book was in here.

I don't think I saw anything Flash in there.

I bought the Walt Disney Comics 1 cover in one of his separate auctions though and sure enough I found the interior in this lot.

I scored 2 copies of Marvel Mystery Comics 13.  They are really rough though.  Maybe if I combine the best of both copies..... 

8 hours ago, gadzukes said:

I can't imagine being a comic seller and not fully going thru a lot like this.  The comic's ages ranged from 1937 - 1947.  It's such a sweet spot in time for grails.  The Adventure 40 I found could just as easily have been an Action 1.  In fact, when I first started paging thru it I thought it might be an early Action because of the black & white pages on a couple stories.

Neither can I but I know the seller. He is a younger guy. He likes to turn and burn as fast as he can. I just don't think he has the patience. He was involved in a real messy thread over a Detective #28 with a centerfold missing a few years ago. He bought the book from a local dealer that hadn't had time to look at it, put it on the seat of his car in the parking lot and listed it on ebay. Turns out the centerfold was missing. I can't believe anyone who says they love comics and deals in them, wouldn't have at least wanted to look at the 2nd app of Batman...(shrug)

27 minutes ago, Robot Man said:

Neither can I but I know the seller. He is a younger guy. He likes to turn and burn as fast as he can. I just don't think he has the patience. He was involved in a real messy thread over a Detective #28 with a centerfold missing a few years ago. He bought the book from a local dealer that hadn't had time to look at it, put it on the seat of his car in the parking lot and listed it on ebay. Turns out the centerfold was missing. I can't believe anyone who says they love comics and deals in them, wouldn't have at least wanted to look at the 2nd app of Batman...(shrug)

Maybe I'll find the Tec 28 centerfold in this lot.  :idea:

10 hours ago, Sauce Dog said:

lol, I know, you've shown me that one before. Really cool.

Some other comics of note that I have found in the pile:

Star Spangled Comics 1

Wonderworld 6 & 9

Human Torch 6

Captain America 17 

Blue Beetle 10

Amazing Man 18

Flash 54

Weird Comics 10

Leading Comics 4

Samson 6

Mystery Men 29

Star Spangled 34

Daredevil 24

Feature 42

National Comics 32

Military 17

Blue Bolt 109

18 minutes ago, gadzukes said:

Star Spangled Comics 1

Wonderworld 6 & 9

Human Torch 6

Captain America 17 

Blue Beetle 10

Amazing Man 18

Flash 54

Weird Comics 10

Leading Comics 4

Samson 6

Mystery Men 29

Star Spangled 34

Daredevil 24

Feature 42

National Comics 32

Military 17

Blue Bolt 109

Wow, quite the list! You scored! 

1 hour ago, gadzukes said:

Star Spangled Comics 1

Wonderworld 6 & 9

Human Torch 6

Captain America 17 

Blue Beetle 10

Amazing Man 18

Flash 54

Weird Comics 10

Leading Comics 4

Samson 6

Mystery Men 29

Star Spangled 34

Daredevil 24

Feature 42

National Comics 32

Military 17

Blue Bolt 109

I am jealous of the fun it must be for you to be making these discoveries. I love coverless lots.

On 5/17/2021 at 1:11 AM, skypinkblu said:

I'm very glad you found some matches...but you might watch his auctions for more matching pieces;) 

I picked up the Worlds Finest 27 tonight he was selling.  It was missing the first 4 pages which I just happened to find in this collection.  Cool.

Good advice Sharon to keep watching his auctions.