• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Torpedo Collectors Con 2021
3 3

94 posts in this topic

This ones funny my 15 year old loves pre code horror the open space in the picture on the wall is where a Weird tales from the future 8 was he was drooling over at the time I took the picture. Kid has good taste. He ended up getting a lower to mid-grade of a Daredevil 131 at this booth. 

z.jpg

za.jpg

Edited by JWKyle

Ok and here is what came home with me out of the room. :devil:

This lot came from the Weird tales from the Future 8 booth that my kid was eyeing. 3 out of the 5 of these have a OO date and intials on it which I kind of like the history.

zk.jpg

This came from a local dealer I didn't get a picture of his booth. I've been hunting for a nice clean copy of this for awhile and I finally found it. And like I said my teenage also got a lower/mid grade copy so we brought 2 of these home.:acclaim:

zl.jpg

These where the Highgradecomics.com books Thanks Bob !!

zm.jpg

zn.jpg

These came out of Dale's side table boxes and I was happy to find them

zo.jpg

I have a problem I go to a show with the full intent on filling holes in my Marvel runs and I always seem to buy something like this. Thanks again Richard and I'll give you a few days to get home and settled then I'll send you a PM to get that other Precious to me  

zp.jpg

Edited by JWKyle

On 7/24/2021 at 7:35 PM, JWKyle said:

I guess since it was Torpedo's show they also flexed a little muscle too. :acclaim:

if I remember right the whole on the wall in the ASM 129 space was another copy of ASM 129 in CGC 9.8 someone was looking at.

v.jpg

w.jpg

x.jpg

Wow Iron Man 1 1968 NM/MT graded.. that’s something I’d like to see in person 

Thanks so much for all of these great shots -- much appreciated!  If anyone has pics of the OA walls or displays, I'd love to see those as well.

I was bummed not to get out to Torpedo this year.  Next year for sure.  It's my favorite con.

Dan

On 7/24/2021 at 8:33 PM, JWKyle said:

This is the second time I've been to this show and it's always full of good stuff. I did have to pace myself some what. In 2 weeks the Berkley comic con it happening so it's a short turnaround time to get the war chest refilled and ready. I will keep going to these as long as Torpedo keeps having them. The Denny's down the street was fine for lunch. Was able to park at the Hall parking is $25. And the way the entry was handle it was very quick and smooth. I was talking to one of the people at high gradecomics.com about the number of people attending the show and I thought with the caliber of dealers there that the floor should be PACKED but it really didn't feel that way. He said Friday was kind of the same way attendance wise. Hopefully enough money changed hand for all the dealers that set up that it makes them want to make it a every year thing (nice to see east cost dealer stock without going to the east coast). If it goes back to the week before San Diego show that would be cool too. Masks were manditory which I'm fine with (Everyone in my party has been vacinated for some time now) 

A great show in the books for me hopefully Sunday is a good day also

Thanks to Torpedo ,the dealers and all the people who made this happen.:banana:

Thanks for the great report. It almost feels like I was there...:roflmao:Your photos were WAY better than mine. 

Friday wasn’t too crowded but the dealers I spoke to said they did well that day. 

Small comfortable show. Had more than enough time to pick all the boxes and catch up with all my dealer friends. Past shows were similar. Timing was perfect week before SDCC to get all the East Coast dealers out. Sorry Steve Ritter from Worldwide couldn’t make it but most everybody else I buy from was there. 

Great show. Just hope Terry can pull off his show in Jan. Similar vibe and only one day which is great. 

This was probably it for me until next year. Miss it already. 

On 7/25/2021 at 7:52 AM, alexgross.com said:

along with terrys california comic con, its the best west coast show. i hear baltimore is like this on the east coast, but i've not been.

here's my small haul. none of these cover prices is what i paid. got them from jamie graham, phil at champion comics, bob storms at highgradecomics, bedrock, and the big asm5 from finest city comics, who i've talked to at shows, but not really done deals with before now.

251796F2-778A-4F55-ACBB-0DD70B653696.jpeg

FE7AB87B-A105-4434-B837-C6A72C316D68.jpeg

Looks like you had fun and got some cool books. Other than Angelo, Harley and a couple other guys, I probably bought at least something from all the other dealers. I like to support them. A bit hard at this stage of my collecting career to find the GA books I need. 

I spent the majority of my money with The Seeker Eye from Portland in the back of the room. Never met these guys but they had some real unusual and hard to find titles and worked fairly on prices. Made a good new connection. Most of the rest of my money went to the Tall Texan from Bedrock. Ritchie always brings a couple of boxes of cheaper and unusual GA books for me. Bought a pile and a couple of bigger dollar books as well. Really got to dig and work a show like this to come home with deals. It can be done, believe me. 

On 7/24/2021 at 7:38 PM, JWKyle said:

Not sure who's booth this was but anyone sporting a Amazing Fantasy 15 on the wall needs some love too. If anyone knows who booth this was go ahead and chime in

y.jpg

My guess is @shortboxed, as they use these black plastic boxes and usually dress in black. It makes for a professional looking set-up, and they always have killer books.

On 7/24/2021 at 7:12 PM, JWKyle said:

I'll try my hand at a little bit of a con report today. My cousin and my son and me went today and I was very please. To give you a little idea of where the shows at here are a few outside pictures

Thanks so much for taking the time to post all this- I saw a book I been tracking so I may head out there...