• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Crying Game as EBay day of reckoning approaches
1 1

18 posts in this topic

🎶 Come on EBay (don’t fear the reaper)

Ebay take my hand (don’t fear the reaper) 🎵 

I can tell you sh.t is hitting the fan. 😂 😆 😂 You could send lawyers, guns and money, hell you could even send the werewolf of London, but come May 21 you have very few work arounds other then maybe EIN in lieu of giving social security number.

•Give them your bank account number

•Give them your social security number

•Give them your date of birth

OR ELSE HIT THE BRICKS PAL

You lose your listings

You don’t get paid

NO CADILLAC

NO SET OF STEAK KNIVES

R E A C T I O N ?

7CA8FFE0-149B-41D9-9F41-F728D7DCF1AF.thumb.png.44c7993f4c8ccd9119b293ab6d0ea5ce.png

I was selling a lot of comics on eBay before the pandemic hit, after which for obvious reasons I stopped. Then eBay started to bug me about signing up for there new payment service. I even got a call from them. I explained to the guy that I wasn't selling because of Covid and saw no reason to sign up right then. He tried to make it sound like that if I didn't sign up right away I would miss my chance. As if they would not accept me if I signed up later. Anyway I am back to selling comics but through ComicLink. I am not saying I am never going back to eBay, but I think eBay needs us more than we need them.

15 hours ago, bisquitodoom said:

I'm sure there are many case studies of a company completely squandering their market position, but ebay has to be one of the top ones I can think of.  Their name was synonymous with online commerce in the early 2000's, and they just seem to do everything they can to push people away from using them.  Just bad move after bad move.  

Absolutely. eBay was THE place for the late 90s through great recession for collecting. It put usenet to bed (as did web-based forums of course), outcompeted Yahoo and Amazon, which both had auctions at one time, but yet just whittled away at their customer base trying to become the next Amazon. 

7 hours ago, tth2 said:

I don't think I've been on eBay in more than a decade.  I used to spend hours on it every day.

I've done almost twice as many transactions on eBay over the past year (more than 700 :whatthe:) than I did in the previous 20 (mostly trading cards and card-related stuff). 

I've actually known the current CEO of eBay since we and our mutual circle of friends were all young bucks early in our careers back in mid-90s NYC! 

15 minutes ago, delekkerste said:

I've actually known the current CEO of eBay since we and our mutual circle of friends were all young bucks early in our careers back in mid-90s NYC! 

Gene. Tell him he's a git!  :baiting:

On 5/21/2021 at 1:04 PM, bisquitodoom said:

but ebay has to be one of the top ones I can think of.  Their name was synonymous with online commerce in the early 2000's, and they just seem to do everything they can to push people away from using them.  Just bad move after bad move.  

This.

44 minutes ago, delekkerste said:

Go talk to him then! :D

Ebay’s stock took a hit last quarter. This “managed payment” thing has not helped them as far as sellers go. They have forgotten for years that less sellers equal less sales.

Now they have “revamped” their searches within comic books. I used to look at GA new today auctions every day. I would get hundreds and hundreds. They would end at where I stopped the day before. Now I get maybe 40 many of them not even GA comics. 

Who knows how many I’m not even seeing. Sellers are going to get a lot less bids with their audience shut out. 

Consider that comic books are currently the hottest category in collectibles. Why rock the boat?

I suspect their stock will take another dive next quarter...

23 hours ago, cstojano said:

My day or reckoning was today. Do I understand correctly that we now pay 12.55% fees on the sales tax they charge the buyer?

Yes, before you paid Ebay 10% fees on the sales tax and Paypal 2.9% so you're actually saving money.

I guess I never paid enough attention as I don't sell that much there anymore, but this just seems so completely wrong. It was bad enough when we started paying fees on shipping, which is why basically everything has free shipping, or the shipping figured into the price.