• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Comic Link Spring feature auction looking interesting

92 posts in this topic

I wondered where the thread was, there's some amazing stuff in this one!

I think this is the most stuff I've been watching in a CL auction so far.

And whew, a lot of my early tracking bids I was surprised were so high...

23 minutes ago, Twanj said:

I wondered where the thread was, there's some amazing stuff in this one!

I think this is the most stuff I've been watching in a CL auction so far.

And whew, a lot of my early tracking bids I was surprised were so high...

there is for sure a lot of really nice stuff. I'm not sure what I'm going after yet, but I liked the Spectacular Spider-man 132 pg 4 (Kravens last hunt page)...the only problem is that its the last item up (Zeck) , so if if the price goes wild on it , I don't want to 'miss the boat' on everything else! 

Anybody notice that this auction seems to have a collection being sold with the mark for it being them all having Stan Lee sigs?  32 pieces total I was able to see with one in the last focused auction for 33 total.

39 minutes ago, DeadpoolJr. said:

Anybody notice that this auction seems to have a collection being sold with the mark for it being them all having Stan Lee sigs?  32 pieces total I was able to see with one in the last focused auction for 33 total.

I noticed a lot of Stan sigs.  Frankly turned me off of a couple pieces I really liked.

Not certain on ALL the Stan Lee signed art being auctioned here, but a lot of them are from Stan's handler Max Anderson's collection. He was a controversial figure (to put it in extremely charitable terms) during the final years of Stan's life, and having access to Stan on a 24 hours basis for all intents and purposes facilitated so much of this signed art. There are many layers to this story that I won't get into, but these Stan signed pieces of art tell an interesting tale in and of themselves.

31 minutes ago, stinkininkin said:

Not certain on ALL the Stan Lee signed art being auctioned here, but a lot of them are from Stan's handler Max Anderson's collection. He was a controversial figure (to put it in extremely charitable terms) during the final years of Stan's life, and having access to Stan on a 24 hours basis for all intents and purposes facilitated so much of this signed art. There are many layers to this story that I won't get into, but these Stan signed pieces of art tell an interesting tale in and of themselves.

Ive heard rumors of such misdeeds, but never knew the facts, so always took it with a grain of salt. I met him once at Fan Expo in Toronto at a Stan Lee signing. He must have had access to some pretty choice pieces of art/ comics/ memorabilia  via his position with Stan meeting who's who in the comic business

21 hours ago, Ryanfromottawa said:

there is for sure a lot of really nice stuff. I'm not sure what I'm going after yet, but I liked the Spectacular Spider-man 132 pg 4 (Kravens last hunt page)...the only problem is that its the last item up (Zeck) , so if if the price goes wild on it , I don't want to 'miss the boat' on everything else! 

That's why I put together a decent "A"mazing Spider-man Collection but aside from "X"-Men 1, I do not own any other issues. 

3 hours ago, stinkininkin said:

Ah. That would explain why everything is signed within the margins. If you want to know more about Max Anderson, read the bio of Stan by Abraham Reisman that came out this year: https://www.penguinrandomhouse.com/books/612238/true-believer-the-rise-and-fall-of-stan-lee-by-abraham-riesman/

25 minutes ago, glendgold said:

Ah. That would explain why everything is signed within the margins. If you want to know more about Max Anderson, read the bio of Stan by Abraham Reisman that came out this year: https://www.penguinrandomhouse.com/books/612238/true-believer-the-rise-and-fall-of-stan-lee-by-abraham-riesman/

Thanks, I just ordered it! I’m a big Stan Fan. It’s a shame to hear about his mistreatment. I just read up regarding the allegations against Max..... geez 

Edited by Ryanfromottawa

15 hours ago, Ryanfromottawa said:

Thanks, I just ordered it! I’m a big Stan Fan. It’s a shame to hear about his mistreatment. I just read up regarding the allegations against Max..... geez 

Hope this isn't behind a paywall. If so, short version is: Stan's a simple guy; legacy is complicated. https://www.washingtonpost.com/entertainment/books/stan-lee-true-believer-review/2021/02/18/5e9f4fc4-71e4-11eb-b8a9-b9467510f0fe_story.html

14 minutes ago, glendgold said:

Hope this isn't behind a paywall. If so, short version is: Stan's a simple guy; legacy is complicated. https://www.washingtonpost.com/entertainment/books/stan-lee-true-believer-review/2021/02/18/5e9f4fc4-71e4-11eb-b8a9-b9467510f0fe_story.html

One thing that irritates me to no end about all of the “All Stan did was add words to Jack & Steve’s art,” is that Lee frigging ART DIRECTED SPIDER-MAN. 

The reason why we have Ditko’s brilliant character design rather than Kirby’s uninspired version (or Don Hecks’s, etc) is because he knew that design was great and gave Ditko the editorial freedom to develop the visual language of the character and his universe. Stan Lee was a phenomenal editor in chief and editor. He kept the marvel universe continuity flame going and had final say on what saw print. He had exquisite taste - at least during the early to mid 1960’s. 

The risk of revisionist history is that you can go too far in the other direction “correcting” the historical record. Great print editors are generally lauded as hugely influential on the output of their publications. Stan deserves better than being dumped on like this. 

Edited by PhilipB2k17