• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Worst Stan Lee signature placement?

60 posts in this topic

19 hours ago, Bludriver said:

I am not a fan of signatures on a comic book cover, (I would never own one), especially if it is a high grade silver age book. Of the ones posted so far, the AF #15 bothers me the most. What a travesty.

How about...this ASM200?

Untitled-asm200.thumb.jpg.6cbf5d6a6721fd6f8deaf25a3f6d07a5.jpg

Edited by Chaos_in_Canada

20 minutes ago, Chaos_in_Canada said:

How about...this ASM200?

Untitled-asm200.thumb.jpg.6cbf5d6a6721fd6f8deaf25a3f6d07a5.jpg

Looks like the burglar hates signatures on covers just like me :bigsmile:

That of course is better as even though it is very high grade, it is much more common book in that grade. I would still never want to own but it is much more acceptable if I had to.

I think you guys are giving Stan too much credit; he likely didn't even notice the Black Cat's face. He was a senior citizen being fed literally thousands of books so he was likely knocking them out and I don't mean that in any derogatory sense; he also was likely grinning and saying hello to people while doing this.

But to answer the OP's original question? I have always "gotten" the rationalization for this but still always sighed at it- Stan signing books or characters he had nothing to do with, like Stan signing a Transformers book or a Gambit comic. The argument is "it's still Marvel" but you know, Kirby is Marvel and if I had gotten Jack Kirby to sign Silver Sable & The Wild Pack #1, I think it'd have been a waste of the signature. And if the argument is "well, books Stan wrote are expensive" then get an issue of Marvel Tales. 

3 minutes ago, wisbyron said:

I think you guys are giving Stan too much credit; he likely didn't even notice the Black Cat's face. He was a senior citizen being fed literally thousands of books so he was likely knocking them out and I don't mean that in any derogatory sense; he also was likely grinning and saying hello to people while doing this.

But to answer the OP's original question? I have always "gotten" the rationalization for this but still always sighed at it- Stan signing books or characters he had nothing to do with, like Stan signing a Transformers book or a Gambit comic. The argument is "it's still Marvel" but you know, Kirby is Marvel and if I had gotten Jack Kirby to sign Silver Sable & The Wild Pack #1, I think it'd have been a waste of the signature. And if the argument is "well, books Stan wrote are expensive" then get an issue of Marvel Tales. 

Just curious on your thoughts on IH 180 to 181, the argument that Stan created the Hulk :shy: 

is it the same kind of argument as ones that you mention, or does it have any more weight to it? :wishluck: 

25 minutes ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

Just curious on your thoughts on IH 180 to 181, the argument that Stan created the Hulk :shy: 

is it the same kind of argument as ones that you mention, or does it have any more weight to it? :wishluck: 

I'm assuming this is humorous since no such argument exists! :D 

Earlier in 1974, a fan entered a contest at Marvel where he submitted to FOOM Magazine his character The Wolverine who had a "bionic skeleton".. several months later, Roy Thomas pitches Wolverine. If that fan hadn't specified a bionic skeleton I'd shrug it off, but I'm pretty sure that's the genesis that led to the creation of Wolverine.

11 minutes ago, wisbyron said:
39 minutes ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

Expand  

I'm assuming this is humorous since no such argument exists! :D 

Earlier in 1974, a fan entered a contest at Marvel where he submitted to FOOM Magazine his character The Wolverine who had a "bionic skeleton".. several months later, Roy Thomas pitches Wolverine. If that fan hadn't specified a bionic skeleton I'd shrug it off, but I'm pretty sure that's the genesis that led to the creation of Wolverine.

I'll admit in my early years that's why my IH 180&181 are signed by Stan.

I justified it as well he's a big "artist" by writing Hulk, and this is a major "hulk story"......

Yes it's a 1st app. But it's in a Hulk story is if it was on the stands and you didn't like the Hulk you probably didn't buy it off the stands 😂

I'm not defending that point of view but as a newcomer it DID make sense to me at least.

If "I" thought of it, I'm sure there are "like minded individuals" so you saying there is no argument I'm a bit surprised or don't know what you mean, it's a now win argument? It doesn't occur in real life? It's just plain false and stan on a hulk book is not plausible ? He did create hulk correct?

Again not defending but there is more than one way to consider a book thusly a signature....

Of course now that it's a $10000 book, I get YOUR point but that wasn't always the case, even since cgc originated and even since 2015 when I bought the book

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

Hard to ask anyones real opinion who hasn't thought of it before.

Hulk 180&181 weren't always collected at thousands. If it was a $100 book and you like wolverine and you like hulk and wendigo, and you know the creators of everyone in and on the book, they're available for SS why wouldn't you?

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

9 minutes ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

I'll admit in my early years that's why my IH 180&181 are signed by Stan.

I justified it as well he's a big "artist" by writing Hulk, and this is a major "hulk story"......

Yes it's a 1st app. But it's in a Hulk story is if it was on the stands and you didn't like the Hulk you probably didn't buy it off the stands 😂

I'm not defending that point of view but as a newcomer it DID make sense to me at least.

If "I" thought of it, I'm sure there are "like minded individuals" so you saying there is no argument I'm a bit surprised or don't know what you mean, it's a now win argument? It doesn't occur in real life? It's just plain false and stan on a hulk book is not plausible ? He did create hulk correct?

Again not defending but there is more than one way to consider a book thusly a signature....

Of course now that it's a $10000 book, I get YOUR point but that wasn't always the case, even since cgc originated and even since 2015 when I bought the book

Um, if I can clarify Adamantium... I thought this was just asking for our opinions. In no way do I mean to offend anybody- if they enjoy Stan's sig on Hulk #181, then I am legit happy for them. But this was a subjective, opinion based question unless I'm wrong. I get why someone would get Stan to sign those books, I do! It doesn't change the fact that it's weird for me, but at least Stan had a hand in creating the Hulk so it makes more sense than some of the other Marvel books I've seen signatures on, like a Bishop mini-series, etc.

It's not a no-win argument at all; it's an opinion and a personal thought. As I said, if I can get a creator to sign something, I believe it should be something that creator worked on. I would not get Stephen King to sign a Clive Barker novel by the same logic.

4 minutes ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

Hard to ask anyones real opinion who hasn't thought of it before.

Hulk 180&181 weren't always collected at thousands. If it was a $100 book and you like wolverine and you like hulk and wendigo, and you know the creators of everyone in and on the book, they're available for SS why wouldn't you?

It's not hard to ask anyone's opinion. And again, I see your logic. Stan Lee had a hand in creating the Hulk; Romita Sr. and Roy Thomas had a hand in creating Wolverine with Len Wein and Herb Trimpe- and again, FOOM had a fan's "Wolverine" character with bionic skeleton months before this which I and many others think nudged Roy Thomas into making this happen- but Stan signing a comic he didn't write (and Stan had nothing to do with Wolverine, Wendigo, etc.)- I just don't think it's the same thing. That being said: that's just my own personal feelings for MY collection. I totally get and support the fan that wants Stan to sign his Hulk #181 and I support them! It's just different tastes, no one is right or wrong. I hope I've explained this clearly.

Just now, wisbyron said:

Um, if I can clarify Adamantium... I thought this was just asking for our opinions. In no way do I mean to offend anybody- if they enjoy Stan's sig on Hulk #181, then I am legit happy for them. But this was a subjective, opinion based question unless I'm wrong. I get why someone would get Stan to sign those books, I do! It doesn't change the fact that it's weird for me, but at least Stan had a hand in creating the Hulk so it makes more sense than some of the other Marvel books I've seen signatures on, like a Bishop mini-series, etc.

It's not a no-win argument at all; it's an opinion and a personal thought. As I said, if I can get a creator to sign something, I believe it should be something that creator worked on. I would not get Stephen King to sign a Clive Barker novel by the same logic.

Yes I'm not offended I don't think you should be either if it's not for you (thumbsu

Cause it's valid and makes sense to me truly....

Still when I show them off I always feel guilty like a money grab on my part, when in reality it wasn't at the time, so with the mention, I was only asking to see if my original thesis still held weight or water

I'm not offended , I'm just taken aback by the stigma (not saying you or anyone specific) just cause no one can deny that on the boards and other places it seems there is one

It's not for everyone and I don't want to ruffle feathers, it's just on one hand I get the point of the stigma but also if Stan were alive I'd do it again if I didn't already have one is all. Lol

It's just a juxtaposition for me for owning one is all. :roflmao:

Ya no worries really I brought it up, but it was peacefully 😂 if there is a stigma about the question :roflmao:

I'm left fielded cause it's been a busy day, it's a no worries kind of thing just wanted to delve a bit since it COULD be done peacefully and we all need reassuring sometimes

:tink:

I had a 9.6 GIJOE 21 that I resubbed for a Stan Lee SS.  I thought it would be cool to get Stan to just write ‘Nuff said on the cover, no signature.  That’s what I requested.  Unfortunately, it didn’t happen & the book came back with his signature only.  I still remember getting mess from someone on EBay for having him sign that book.  :shy:

18 minutes ago, THE_BEYONDER said:

I had a 9.6 GIJOE 21 that I resubbed for a Stan Lee SS.  I thought it would be cool to get Stan to just write ‘Nuff said on the cover, no signature.  That’s what I requested.  Unfortunately, it didn’t happen & the book came back with his signature only.  I still remember getting mess from someone on EBay for having him sign that book.  :shy:

Maybe I should have waited for the business to propose my thesis but in the end we all collect different. I was looking for validation and I got an understanding ear. We all need that sometimes no harm no foul.

I'm not big into Joe so I wouldn't know of any relevance, I just have to acknowledge that any pool of buyers per se is what it is 😂

9 minutes ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

Maybe I should have waited for the business to propose my thesis but in the end we all collect different. I was looking for validation and I got an understanding ear. We all need that sometimes no harm no foul.

I'm not big into Joe so I wouldn't know of any relevance, I just have to acknowledge that any pool of buyers per se is what it is 😂

There is no relevance, outside that it’s a Marvel book & silent issue.   I thought it would be cool to have.

1 minute ago, THE_BEYONDER said:

There is no relevance, outside that it’s a Marvel book & silent issue.   I thought it would be cool to have.

To that point cool, I remember the boards of old saying his handlers were stickers to what he would give as words for the signing. His name of course, and long back as I remember, maybe excelsior 

Still his wife signed things with and without Stan and they sold lol

It's hard to be angry at those who vote against it, they've most often got a point.... ha

But yes it was all in good fun, would have been a good idea to hear the "voice of marvel," nuff said!

I'd like to site this as the perfect example of why another companies "Verified Signature Program" is useless garbage. Stan's (and so many other artists) signatures vary so wildly... to say that an unwitnessed signature is "verified authentic" is a total farse.

528859981_stanlee11timesebaystockdock777.thumb.jpg.ffa1f8cdd5323b991ed5f615fd80d53c.jpg.36f21df577267c436290e412cc4066e8.jpg