• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Regarding the pms that seem to be scams regarding WTB posts.
2 2

49 posts in this topic

We've banned a few "spammers"  lately who are responding to WTB ads, and sometimes to people who post that they were sorry they missed out on a book  in the sales forums, but apparently there are more. If you get a pm telling you that a "friend" has a certain book you are looking for, please report it.

One prolific person was banned yesterday, apparently he/she sent a whole bunch of pms before they were banned. That person was not the first one or not the first name that was used..

It appears that a few scammers have started IDs, but never posted in a thread, so there is no profile when you look for one. They are sending out private messages to people who are looking for certain issues. The pms have included various emails, sometimes pictures of books (that obviously belong to someone else).

The  no profile is usually a sign. The person may respond to your pm if you write back. That doesn't mean they are legit of course.

At the upper right of your pm, you will see 3 dots. Just click there and report the pm. Please don't delete the pm, it's hard to find the person if you delete it first. We will do that and ban the "spammer" if appropriate.

The issue has been reported to administration.  It would be useful if we could tell them how often this occurs.

I don't know if it's one person with a lot of names, or a circle of friends;)

Thank you!

1 minute ago, wombat said:

Maybe a stickied post in the WTB section would be helpful. 

Thank you, that's a good idea, but I'd like to see if there are more PMs before  I ask an Admin to do that. I suspect that's not the only place they are coming from.

I have banned several id's with the same MO  ie "A friend has a book"  Like skypinkblu said, it's in everyone's best interest to report the PM post.  

7 minutes ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

Also I thought it was board policy that you couldn't pm people until a certain post count was achieved ....

If not that might be worth (re)instating

That may have been the case before the software change.  This is something else that could be brought up to admins, and see if there is a fix, requiring at least 1 post before being able to PM someone.  .  

34 minutes ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

Also I thought it was board policy that you couldn't pm people until a certain post count was achieved ....

If not that might be worth (re)instating

I had never heard of that one, I'm pretty sure when I started, I pmed a friend here before I posted, but I might be wrong. I do remember him warning me about how tough the people could be on newbies, lol;)

After I posted that I thought about how much more it would hurt to have someone you trusted steal, even though they posted and you tested them, or whatever this 0 post person's motive was

Lol I get now sometime being salty of what not to new people can help determine if they can be trusted

1 hour ago, skypinkblu said:

I had never heard of that one, I'm pretty sure when I started, I pmed a friend here before I posted, but I might be wrong. I do remember him warning me about how tough the people could be on newbies, lol;)

Just hopefully there is a turn around time and not just a delivery of pain 

Like this thread sometimes :cry:

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

10 minutes ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

After I posted that I thought about how many more it would hurt to have someone you trusted cause they were forced to post to be known steal, or whatever this 0 post person's motive was

Lol I get now the point to be a little salty of what not on new people to be able to trust though

I only hope to go if so, then they would only be back to the one of the other and then they would get what's theirs.

If you agree.....then be a big time only one if they can handle it backwards.

Edited by Domo Arigato
to clarify my thoughts more precisely.

1 hour ago, Domo Arigato said:

Is that English? ???

1 hour ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

After I posted that I thought about how much more it would hurt to have someone you trusted cause they were forced to post to be known steal, or whatever this 0 post person's motive was

Lol I get now the point to be a little salty of what not on new people to be able to trust though

Just hopefully there is a turn around time and not just a delivery, lol and doesnt just go on forever ha!

Like this thread sometimes :cry:

I get it now, sometimes being a little rough on newcomers within reasson builds a foundation or tests character to be able to trust the newcomers to again determine who will not be too fishy, 

Or simply put to weed out people, just it should have it's limits and hopefully no hard feelings in the end

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

2 minutes ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

I get it now, sometimes being a little rough on newcomers within re as son builds a foundation to trust the newcomers will not be too fishy, 

Or simply put to weed out people, just has its limits and hopefully no hard feelings in the end

I feel like I'm in the twilight zone. lol

I've possibly over ate on taco bell lol

Just if we force them to post, some people will be hard on newcomers as @skypinkblu pointed out, and sometimes that's a good thing, it needs weeds people out and ascertains there motives. I'd like to say sometimes it goes too far is all and people look to see how well they can shake confidences

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

2 minutes ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

And after I posted I thought if we forced them to post to the boards before PM'S were allowed, then it would be someone you trust who then PM'S you and steals from you and how much worse that would be

I've possibly over ate on taco bell lol

Just if we force them to post, some people will be hard on newcomers as @skypinkblu pointed out, and sometimes that's a good thing, it needs weeds people out and ascertains there motives. I'd like to say sometimes it goes too far is all and people look to see how well they can shake confidences

There, finally finished editing :download:

Taco bell or keyboard issue is a relief.......I was afraid you were having a stroke.

As it is, I did have a small seizure trying to read your posts. lol

And after I posted I thought if we forced them to post to the boards before PM'S were allowed, then it would be someone you trust who then PM'S you and steals from you and how much worse that would be

I've possibly over ate on taco bell lol

Just if we force them to post, some people will be hard on newcomers  @skypinkblu

Taco bell or keyboard issue is a relief.......I was afraid you were having a stroke.

As it is, I did have a small seizure trying to read your posts. lol

Maybe I did sheesh cant believe the stress I've been having lately,  but some pleasant things are coming soon, so hope I recoupeockquote widget

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

15 minutes ago, Domo Arigato said:

I feel like I'm in the twilight zone. lol

Oh is it the Bewitching Pool one?

2 minutes ago, kav said:

Oh is it the Bewitching Pool one?

I dont know that I've seen that one, I stopped at the one where he hears a lion the whole episode and a witch doctor, and then at the end a lion eats him lol