• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Best shops to visit around Myrtle Beach?

19 posts in this topic

I'll be doing a family trip to Myrtle Beach in a couple weeks and I usually try to hit up a shop or two while traveling. Can anyone recommend some good shops around the area? I'll staying in North Myrtle Beach, but we'll be going back and forth. 

To qualify what I consider to be a "good" shop, it's all about the back issues for me. I like to have a large selection of Silver and Bronze to dig through of all the Marvel series. Ideally I love shops that have cheapo boxes like $1-$3, but I know not all shops do. Only one in my area does that normally. And I don't care about new issues or toys/statues.  

Appreciate any tips. 

My parents have lived in Myrtle Beach for about 20 years. It has been a challenge to find a store you are looking for down there. The two stores that might come close to that are:

Players Choice, which will have the $1-3 bins but also have toys, retro games but an arcade next door - https://www.playerschoicenmb.com/

Power Comics, more modern stuff but can have some back issues - https://www.powercomicon.com/power-comics

10 hours ago, Greengiant said:

My parents have lived in Myrtle Beach for about 20 years. It has been a challenge to find a store you are looking for down there. The two stores that might come close to that are:

Players Choice, which will have the $1-3 bins but also have toys, retro games but an arcade next door - https://www.playerschoicenmb.com/

Power Comics, more modern stuff but can have some back issues - https://www.powercomicon.com/power-comics

Thanks for the info, much appreciated. I suspected finding a really good shop in a highly touristy area would be unlikely.  I'll check at least one of those out on my trip though. 

I went to a shop last summer down there.  Forget the name of it.  They didn’t have much of anything. I bought a MAD hardcover so it wasn’t a total waste of time.  

On 5/28/2021 at 8:48 AM, serling1978 said:

Thanks for the info, much appreciated. I suspected finding a really good shop in a highly touristy area would be unlikely.  I'll check at least one of those out on my trip though. 

Heading down there myself Memorial Day weekend. Did you end up finding anything worth visiting?

On 5/16/2023 at 7:29 PM, universal soldier said:

Heading down there myself Memorial Day weekend. Did you end up finding anything worth visiting?

Sorry to say, I didn't find anything for my needs. Players choice was cool to browse and the retro arcade next door was awesome.  I could have spent hours in there.  But as far as comics, they had mostly modern stuff, I didn't find any silver age at all and maybe a couple Bronze age books.  Definitely not a place I'd hit if you're looking for older stuff.

On 5/16/2023 at 9:56 PM, serling1978 said:

Sorry to say, I didn't find anything for my needs. Players choice was cool to browse and the retro arcade next door was awesome.  I could have spent hours in there.  But as far as comics, they had mostly modern stuff, I didn't find any silver age at all and maybe a couple Bronze age books.  Definitely not a place I'd hit if you're looking for older stuff.

Thanks, I'll post back if I find any other stores but we won't have a car so it will be an Uber ride to get where ever. I googled that arcade and it looks pretty cool though.

coastal comics in surfside the town over from MB. it should take you about 20 min to get there from where you are at, depending on traffic

by far the best store in the area. his hours are a bit weird so would suggest following his facebook page to check that day. I went on a wednesday last month while I was there for vacation.

Edited by oldbsturgeon

Please let me know what you guys find as I will be heading down there with the family again in a few months.  Last summer was our first time down at Myrtle Beach.  The wife and daughter absolutely loved it.  I tried checking out Coastal Comics but for some reason the store wasn't open even though the advertised hours said it should have.  What's interesting was when I got back into my car, this lady (pretty attractive) came up and struck up a conversation with me.  She saw I tried to go to Coastal and started recommending some other places that I might be interested in.  She told me she was a local there but I simply didn't have the time to check other places as I had to get back to my wife and kid.  Maybe you guys can check out Player's Choice and Step Back Into Time and let me know how they are.

I've been to "Step Back Into Time" and gives a flea market vibe. There's some comics, records, cards and action figures. Pretty much Copper comics from what I remember.

Above I talk about Player's Choice. It is in a dwindling mall but has an retro arcade with black lights. Could spend so much time there but always family responsibilities when there.

:wishluck: really hoping I can get out to at least one of the suggestions but going to be tough being at the mercy of Uber and a pretty full agenda. I might be able to squeeze something in after golf on Sunday hm

Oh yeah forgot about players choice. I bought stuff there in April.

they had a lot of books, lots of newer stuff, but there was a huge variety.

like I said follow coastal comics on FB to keep up to date with the hours. From what I could see on their page, there is some medical issues likely which is why the hours can be wonky.

Trip cancelled due to crappy weather in the Carolinas over the weekend :sorry: Heading to Miami instead but not hopeful of any stops while I'm there.

I went to coastal comics again yesterday and got some more batman books. 
That said the real surprise is an antique store in myrtle beach called coast to coast.

this guy has huge amounts of graded books, as well as raw stuff.

I am going back there this week when I have more time to look without the kids complaining

Edited by oldbsturgeon

I forgot to update this.

the day before I left, I went to a 3rd store, power comics in conway, about 30 min from our place.

lots of cool stuff, several graded books.  The highlight was a batman 181 9.2! That was super cool. He had lots of graded early x men and spider man as well. He has an ebay store too.

I had to limit my space as I brought an empty backpack with 2 gemini mailers as I was flying.

Overall this trip produced 22 raw books and 2 graded books.

Just to add to the list...

When I lived there, there was House of Heroes and Apocalypse Comics in North Myrtle Beach, along with Coastal in Surfside as already mentioned.

Not sure who is still open these days so check ahead.

Apocalypse was a cool store but it has closed.

I went to MB for a couple of hours last weekend and was mostly a waste of time. House of Heroes was OK (my first time), if you're getting 80s toys. Otherwise the little bit of comics they have are 90s and a mess.

I haven't been to Players Choice in a few years and holy hell, the mall is somehow worse. It doesn't even feel safe to be in there now.  And the AC was not working very well in Players either. Just walked around for a few minutes and left. 

Just an hour or so away Wilmington has Memory Lane 1 and 2, and Fanboy comics. 3 great stores. 

yep PC was hot the day I was there on Sunday the 16th, though I went through books  a million and it was even hotter. I didn't get anything there this time either as there wasn't anything they had I was looking for. I suspect that mall is just waiting for the last few places to decide to leave.