• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How often do you ‘use’ your collection.
3 3

60 posts in this topic

Haven't made time for reading the past year or so. I am still buying and so many more people are selling online. Between opening boxes, sorting through entire collections, bagging boarding. I will read something if I get rid of it and have never read it before. Usually absolute torture. Can't believe most of these books that get hot. 

9 hours ago, wisbyron said:

I look through it often and it's very enjoyable for me. As I have no intention of flipping any books or selling them, at least not for another twenty years, it's very gratifying to look at the collection and remember how much the medium and the history of comics means to me. I basically look at my collection uploaded at covrprice or my folder with scans of all the covers and it does make me pleased to be collecting. But now and then, I flip through the actual comics.

I can totally relate to this. I don’t have any intent on selling the books I actually enjoy and when I look through them, I can’t help but feel a sense of joy owning the stuff I have since I’ve started my wonderful journey of collecting. I also have pictures on my phone too, so that works out too. 

33 minutes ago, Terry_JSA said:

I can totally relate to this. I don’t have any intent on selling the books I actually enjoy and when I look through them, I can’t help but feel a sense of joy owning the stuff I have since I’ve started my wonderful journey of collecting. I also have pictures on my phone too, so that works out too. 

Right on Sir. Yeah, sometimes it's surreal to look at a comic and know you own it, right? 

With the current market of forgotten issues suddenly popping, I'm looking at my database daily to see what's moving. I've submitted close to 300 books to CGC this year if that tells you anything...:)

Like some of the others above, I'm constantly looking at my collection.  I'm either pulling out some raw books to read or gazing at my slabbed books, rearranging them, re-boarding and re-bagging some, checking out values of some of the books while I look at them, re-boxing some, picking some to finally sell as I either want something else more and these can now go...and on an on.  It's simply just very fun to do something with my collection.  
I only have three comic books so I can do all of the above pretty quickly.   

Edited by musicmeta

17 hours ago, The lips said:

Thanks. Reading them to my 5 year old boy is one of my life’s great pleasures. 
he loves the green goblin and venom. 
I read him ASM 300 recently though naturally I wouldn’t let his hands anywhere near it !!

ive give him a bunch of spectacular Spider-Man so he now has his own little collection and he loves them 

I wore out my tpb of Infinity Gauntlet reading it to my son when he was a little . I did voices and everything. His (Ok, my...) favorite part to read was when Cap says "It's getting pretty ugly out there."  (I went for the full drama effect.)

On 5/28/2021 at 9:18 AM, The lips said:

I go through mine daily. Rearranging, pulling out issues to read myself, read to the kids etc. 

Do some have theirs locked away for investment ? Do you maybe get out weekly ? 

curious to see how much interaction people have 

I briefly flip through a short box (I only have 16 short boxes) maybe twice a week. My memory is not 100% like it was (I got the "fifties", anyone in their mid/late 50's knows what I mean) so it's always good to be surprised to see a book that I had forgotten I had! :D I'll read through a book or two maybe once a week or so as well. 

16 minutes ago, Gaard said:

I wore out my tpb of Infinity Gauntlet reading it to my son when he was a little . I did voices and everything. His (Ok, my...) favorite part to read was when Cap says "It's getting pretty ugly out there."  (I went for the full drama effect.)

Oh yes, if you don’t adopt full voice over and ‘get into character’ then you’re really not doing it right !! 

16 hours ago, The Lions Den said:

I look through my collection constantly. Slabbed books, raw books, hardcovers, softcovers---it doesn't really matter. It's one of the few things in life that always makes me happy...  :whee:

I do that too. But honestly after a few years of collecting it soon becomes like King Solomon’s wives and concubines.

You have to wait your turn to visit the king…lol

Seriously though the high value stuff clearly gets locked away these days in its own prison and just checked on regularly to make sure it’s still alive. The problem is the value of this stuff is moving so fast a cheaper book soon moves to the other end. I really never expected stuff I bought for $50.00 to be worth 2k or more these days or 1k books moving up to 15k++ pretty quickly. I regularly see sticker shock in what I own and unless it’s safely slabbed which only a small bit of my collection is I’ve sadly become more reluctant to handle it as much. In some ways the high increase in value has hurt my joy of looking through books unless they are safely slabbed and with the sheer number of books I own that’s just not happening…

15 hours ago, kav said:

I need to go through my collection and consolodate all the valuable books.  Nothing books that are now hot like Batman 251.

I started collecting with cover dates mostly from July 1973. A few from June and august too but my first Batman off the stands was #251. Little did I know that 20 center would achieve such value…

I got a sad emoji on my post that said I look at pics in the registry

I posted I read them too lol but my focus at this point in the year with the registry deadline coming in two weeks, I've spent more time with the slabs and descriptions. Plus it's fun if I've already read the book of said slab putting descriptions.

I don't sell all that often and have 399 slabs in the registry, so looking at each one is quite the time spender etc

As far as raws, I have my doubles and other readers set aside to read before I trade send to cgc and so on.

There really is a lot of time with my collection it's just that time priorities are different throughout the year ☺️