• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How often do you ‘use’ your collection.
3 3

60 posts in this topic

I go through mine daily. Rearranging, pulling out issues to read myself, read to the kids etc. 

Do some have theirs locked away for investment ? Do you maybe get out weekly ? 

curious to see how much interaction people have 

I have pics of all my slabs in the cgc registry....

so I take a look at the pics and update descriptions etc.

it's fun to search for books, but my comic room is mostly windows so taking them out is seldom :) 

The stuff that's not destined for my permanent personal collection gets "used" exactly as often as I sell a piece out of it, or add a piece to it. I have no emotional attachment to it, so I don't revisit that stuff except transactionally. That's what it's here for. Until it's sold, and then it's somewhere else.

On the other hand, I rearrange my slabbed personal collection as I get new books or decide I have a better place to store them or arrange them or just want to remind myself what I own. I probably have at least some interaction with my PC weekly, at the least. More if you count looking over at the shelves and being mostly happy with how some of the projects are progressing. As time permits, I fiddle around with descriptions in the Registry. Which reminds me that I need to spend a day or two getting more images loaded. That'll be a good excuse to look at some books! I own quite a bit that's not in my Registry, also, because I tend to only Registry up a set when I'm getting fairly close to completion. Low percentages bother me, okay? It's a big part of why I don't collect any of the main title runs.

For nearly everything in my slabbed collection, I also own either a set of reader copies or a TPB, and those get quite a bit of love; I probably read through the bulk of the collection once or twice a year. The same goes for the stuff I own only in collected form. Generally speaking, I'm not interested in "collecting" TPBs; those are for reading, and so I read them.

Ironically, for everyone who talks about slabbed books being "entombed", the non-slabbed part of my PC gets much less love. Those books are checked off a cheklist, then bagged, boarded, and boxed, and... that's pretty much their existence. Sorry, little comics, I really do still care about you...

Otherwise... I bump my WTB thread with misguided, futile optimism every couple of weeks or so. Does that count?

Once in a while i go thru bursts where I pull out books to read but otherwise they just sit in the closet and every once in a while a $5 book becomes a $500 book.

I pull out random boxes when I get the urge. I often reread or just thumb through them and maybe take a sniff. I pulled out a couple boxes of Timelys the other day. Damn they are cool. 

I almost never look at slabs. I find I spend more time considering the numbers in the upper left corners than the books themselves. 

I have a large pile of low grade unbagged ECs sitting on a shelf in the closet. I have probably read them more than any other comics. 

Since my office is my comic room, I stroll over to the spinner and enjoy a comic just like when I was a kid with the exception of the cranky clerk yelling at me for reading the comics.  My Spidey slabs are in boxes by my desk so it's great during conference calls.

I have a display wall I change up often. 

Plus I’m in the process of reading and cataloguing stuff so I would say every other day at least I’m “playing” with my books. It’s a great enjoyment of mine. Even bigger key books I’ll just look at from time to time, maybe snap a pic to share with ya all:)

When I had 10+ long boxes & 8 short boxes I hardly ever looked at them unless I was planning on selling them.  I sold the majority of them earlier this year.  I know have 65 books total and I look at them a lot more.  They are now more of a fun hobby than an albatross of stuff.

4 hours ago, The lips said:

I go through mine daily. Rearranging, pulling out issues to read myself, read to the kids etc. 

Do some have theirs locked away for investment ? Do you maybe get out weekly ? 

curious to see how much interaction people have 

Wow... That's something I never hear. Reading comics to the kids. That's awesome. (thumbsu 

I like going through them from time to time. I tend to use myslabbedcomics site to view my graded stuff but I'll go through the raw collection every month or so. 

15 minutes ago, catman76 said:

The only point in having comics is to 'use' them. I read a couple a day usually, sometimes a specific issue, title, character, artist I am in the mood for, but usually I like to just randomly pull one out and look at it. I 'use' all my records too. I put a record on almost every night and read a couple comics, except last night I read a Buck Rogers big little book and then a 70s issue of Beep Beep the Roadrunner.

That’s pretty much me, record on and comics out. Bliss. 

54 minutes ago, The lips said:

Thanks. Reading them to my 5 year old boy is one of my life’s great pleasures. 
he loves the green goblin and venom. 
I read him ASM 300 recently though naturally I wouldn’t let his hands anywhere near it !!

ive give him a bunch of spectacular Spider-Man so he now has his own little collection and he loves them 

Start the next generation off early! lol

Well I read my doubles, most recently ASM 137....

But I maybe misunderstood as I think of my collection as the slabs and the registry cause those are my current goals

But I have readers that I can mosey up to when I'm feeling nostalgia but when the term "collection" was use I thought of my slabs, mostly of books that I've read.....already 

I don't often plan to read a comic, it just kind if inevitably happens, especially when I'm done buying and or Brokish I break out the pastime  (thumbsu

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

Whenever I handle a raw book to flip through I'm taken aback with how small and fragile a comic book is. I'm so jaded from the slabs it's easy to loose track. You look at some bronze x-men and they almost feel like a pamphlet. For whatever reason early bronze X books are a little smaller than other Marvels.