• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

First appearance of Hush (Lee/Williams) + HUGE Camelot 3000 (Bolland) splash: CL Tuesday night
1 1

11 posts in this topic

Two major pieces coming out of my collection on Tuesday night: 

First appearance of Hush (Batman #609) by Jim Lee/Scott Williams. 

https://www.comiclink.com/auctions/item.asp?back=%2FAUCTIONS%2FPREVIEW.ASP%3F_SORT%3DYES%26returning%3D1%26code%3D2021may%26itemtype%3D1%26f1%3Da.MaxBid%26ODire1%3DDESC%26f2%3DArtistLastname%2CArtistFirstName%26ODire2%3DASC%26f3%3Di.Publisher%2C%2Bi.IssueNumber%2C%2Bi.Genre%26ODire3%3DASC%23Item_1471230&id=1471230&itemType=1

Of modern villains, there aren't many that have had the lasting power of Hush, in Jeph Loeb/Jim Lee/Scott Williams epic saga still referred to as one of the greatest Batman stories ever. This is his very first panel appearance, even though the Hush saga started the issue before in Batman #608, waiting for this moment for the big reveal. Regular pages from the Hush run are hard to find and getting more difficult these days...here is a piece of some significance, and I look forward to seeing the collection it lands in!

Camelot 3000 splash page by Brian Bolland/Terry Austin

https://www.comiclink.com/auctions/item.asp?back=%2FAUCTIONS%2FPREVIEW.ASP%3F_SORT%3DYES%26returning%3D1%26code%3D2021may%26itemtype%3D1%26f1%3Da.MaxBid%26ODire1%3DDESC%26f2%3DArtistLastname%2CArtistFirstName%26ODire2%3DASC%26f3%3Di.Publisher%2C%2Bi.IssueNumber%2C%2Bi.Genre%26ODire3%3DASC%23Item_1471227&id=1471227&itemType=1

An impactful, "wall-worthy" splash page featuring a King Arthur so large, it straddles the entire page. This is done on larger paper, exceeding the standard 11x17, adding to the wow factor on this page and allowing you to see the fantastic rendering of both Bolland's very tight pencils and Austin's superb inking job. There are only a couple "A+" images from this 12-issue maxi-series, and this is likely the very best.

RADF76912021316_151916.jpg

RAD8BF752021316_15128-2.jpg

Edited by Sideshow Bob

On 5/30/2021 at 12:43 PM, Stefanomjr said:

Can't wait to see what kind of crown jewel all these gems will fetch you.  

Thanks Stefan. These two (the Hush first appearance and the Camelot 3000 splash) plus the two early Y:TLM pages and the Sean Murphy White Knight/Joker cover and 'Tec #27 pages (including the two incredible DPS) are all going to fund one cover that for me hits "grail" status.  So fingers crossed that everyone is awake tonight after the three-day weekend and hits the bid button... 

Bob

23 hours ago, Sideshow Bob said:

Thanks Stefan. These two (the Hush first appearance and the Camelot 3000 splash) plus the two early Y:TLM pages and the Sean Murphy White Knight/Joker cover and 'Tec #27 pages (including the two incredible DPS) are all going to fund one cover that for me hits "grail" status.  So fingers crossed that everyone is awake tonight after the three-day weekend and hits the bid button... 

Bob

Wow! If you needed that much mullah then the piece you are getting will certainly be a grail piece! Congratulations! I followed those 2 Y The Last man early pages and they ended in a nice price range. I wonder what covers for those first 11 issues would fetch if sent to auction.

4 minutes ago, timguerrero said:

Wow! If you needed that much mullah then the piece you are getting will certainly be a grail piece! Congratulations! I followed those 2 Y The Last man early pages and they ended in a nice price range. I wonder what covers for those first 11 issues would fetch if sent to auction.

I think its two different sets of collectors on Y:TLM. The interiors really focus on Brian K. Vaughn's writing and Pia Guerra's super clean lines, where the early covers are a different kind of sumptuous majesty that J.G. Jones put out into the world. That said, while I adore the interiors, I'm not exactly chasing the covers. Usually, its the inverse of that, but that's why its a hobby that can fit a lot of people. 

8 hours ago, Sideshow Bob said:

Hey Scott. I thought $20k would be the max on it, but there has been increased chatter of people placing real value on first appearances (or "birth pages", shudder...) so there was a decent chance of some upside action. It really takes two to put a value on it at the hammer value and be willing to hit the bid button, and sometimes only one shows up. But at $31k, its just too expensive for this to be a speculator taking a punt on future value of a first appearance; seems rather to be someone with a strong modern collection with this as a very good anchor piece. Plus, the Hush art is next level (kudos...) and the story holds up...my teenage daughter thinks its the greatest story ever and has dog-eared her copy of the TPB.

Not going to lie...had a bottle of wine last night after that result rolled in. 

What was the bottle? (cheers)