• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Action Comics #242 - famous cover... that makes no sense?
1 1

62 posts in this topic

11 minutes ago, THE_BEYONDER said:
26 minutes ago, 1950's war comics said:

i bet everybody on the boards pronounces Mr Mxyzptlk differently inside their head

i have always pronounced it   "mix-plick-it"

“Mitz-a-plick” for me 

I pronounce it "comic that I can skip" :devil:

1 hour ago, Cliff R. said:

"mix-yez-pit-el-ick".

But you have to say it fast.  

now say it backwards!

29 minutes ago, Drummy said:

"Mix-el-plick" for me and my brother growing up....

me too

2 hours ago, Drummy said:

"Mix-el-plick" for me and my brother growing up....

This one. 

wonder what his first name is?
Ps Mister Mxyzptlk is the name he adopts after he introduces himself to Superman and says that his real name would never translate into any Earth language. ·So HOW THE **** can saying a false name backwards send him back to his own dimension????  :pullhair:

Also I dont recall him ever spelling his name so how does stupidman know how it's spelled???  When someone asks me MY name and I say kav they say "Bob?"  "Todd?" "Carl?"  "Scott?" "Cod?"
So if he says Mix-yez-pitel-ik why doesnt stupidman say "michael?"  "mercapton?"  etc? :pullhair:

7 hours ago, valiantman said:
23 hours ago, catman76 said:

What's difficult to understand about it? I haven't read the story but from the cover Superman is saying he has to take the chance that he will be destroyed because he has to kill the guy, probably to protect the earth or the universe or something. He has to do something if he is bluffing or not. Pretty simple to understand to me.

Superman is saying "I can't take that chance". :gossip:

It can be interpreted either way.  I read it as he can't take the chance of getting bluffed and playing the fool, so he'll have to call him on it.

But this is clearly a case of "we don't have to do something about everything".  What if he just left him alone? 

He wasn't captured before, he's not captured now, where is it written that he must be captured?  He's in a force field.  He'll have to drop it eventually.  In the meantime, he's not hurting anyone.

The "shadow" might just be a cloud of cosmic dust.

Neither can hear each other - they are lipreading.

4 hours ago, Cliff R. said:

"mix-yez-pit-el-ick".

But you have to say it fast.  

I believe this is the way it was explained to pronounce it directly in one issue, can't recall which one.  And I've pronounced it that way for over 50 years.  But usually referred to him as Mr. M

Edited by Lightning55

5 minutes ago, Lightning55 said:

But this is clearly a case of "we don't have to do something about everything".  What if he just left him alone? 

Better yet say youre in a force field-fine.  Goody.  Then build a thick adamantium box around him and leave.

8 minutes ago, kav said:

Better yet say youre in a force field-fine.  Goody.  Then build a thick adamantium box around him and leave.

If the force field can destroy Superman, it can certainly destroy the box if it touches it.

Seems like Brainiac is already "captured" in the force field.  Leave him that way.  Maybe find a way that it stays on, trapping him inside.

Reminds me of the first appearance of Unus the Untouchable in X-Men.  The Beast boosted his power so that not only could no one touch Unus, he couldn't touch anything either.  So no soup for you!

9 minutes ago, Lightning55 said:

If the force field can destroy Superman, it can certainly destroy the box if it touches it.

Seems like Brainiac is already "captured" in the force field.  Leave him that way.  Maybe find a way that it stays on, trapping him inside.

Reminds me of the first appearance of Unus the Untouchable in X-Men.  The Beast boosted his power so that not only could no one touch Unus, he couldn't touch anything either.  So no soup for you!

No it was a bluff.  His FF cant destroy jack squat.  But find a way to leave it on and trap him like that chick in outer limits The Bellero Shield-yeah I like it.

Or how abt this-go talk to brainiac 5 and ask him how to sabotage his force field belt.
Next problem.

On 6/3/2021 at 3:45 AM, Cliff R. said:

I always found it odd that Spidey would risk divulging his secret identity to this hoodlum.  :blahblah:

detail.jpg.eecc8259a65753d5f8ba661cf2e44465.jpg

Easily explained. Misdirection. At the time he was also called Peter Palmer. 

12 hours ago, valiantman said:

Why does Brainiac need to stand on that rock?  Did he fly all the way there and find that rock to stand on, or did he bring it with him? hm

Maybe he has an asteroid lair, like Magneto’s Asteroid M?