• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Post Your Dumb Comic Book Covers

299 posts in this topic

21 minutes ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

I lole all these covers, the subtleties make them more fun sometimes 

This is not a sentence!

There were so many dumb covers in the '70s by Marvel, usually with the characters making some comment about how some super villain who had been around for 5 minutes was going to kill some superhero who had survived fights in over 100 issues by then, or some superhero who had survived those battles said he was going to die. Or even Medusa here implying she wasn't going to take any time off for eating and sleeping after they see off the unbelievable menaces (!) of Ternak

image.png.118e1624fede295c9d93cb6031ace9a2.png

4 minutes ago, Albert Thurgood said:

There were so many dumb covers in the '70s by Marvel, usually with the characters making some comment about how some super villain who had been around for 5 minutes was going to kill some superhero who had survived fights in over 100 issues by then, or some superhero who had survived those battles said he was going to die. Or even Medusa here implying she wasn't going to take any time off for eating and sleeping after they see off the unbelievable menaces (!) of Ternak

image.png.118e1624fede295c9d93cb6031ace9a2.png

Johnny Storm-what's the big surporise here?  When have your fireballs ever defeated anyone?  Think about it.

3 hours ago, kav said:

I dont see how Kneel Atoms could screw this up.  If I was drawing the pants I'd stop and say wait i just drew pants-
Sort of an automatic safety feature one would think.

Evidently, he had drawn Batman naked in the sand in that pose. Editor said "Absolutely not" and so instead of drawing a loincloth, like any sane person would have, Adams just colored the legs grey and colored in the codpiece undies and called it a day.

Edited by Randall Ries

Just now, Randall Ries said:

Evidently, he had drawn Batman naked in the sand in that pose. Editor said "Absolutely not" and so instead on drawing a loincloth, like any sane person would have, Adams just colored the legs grey and colored in the codpiece undies and called it a day.

naked Baman would have been a key issue for sure.
https://www.cgccomics.com/boards/topic/464791-key-books-that-are-key-books-solely-because-of-cover-no-other-reason-key-key-key-key-key/

10 minutes ago, kav said:

It might be a bit of a reach, but that cover sorta coincided with the Burt Reynolds 1972 Cosmopolitan two page spread. People went "bananas" over that and then we got a Neal Adams homage in September of that year.

Just now, Randall Ries said:

It might be a bit of a reach, but that cover sorta coincided with the Burt Reynolds 1972 Cosmopolitan two page spread. People went "bananas" over that and then we got a Neal Adams homage in September of that year.

I think you have connected the dots here.

1 minute ago, Randall Ries said:

I didn't want to. Believe me. I have a massive headache right now and that sudden little epiphany hasn't helped.

Lord I hate headaches.  They frighten me.  Get well soon.

I have utter contempt for this one. What did Superman's junk ever do to YOU, Junk-Man? What? "JUNK-Man"? Come on. I wonder if Elliot S! Maggin caved in to his wife Pamela King demands to include their two children, Sarah and Jeremy Maggin's idea for a Superman story for publication. If so, little wonder their marriage failed. Twice.

908181.jpg

"Pained Corpse Gripping" anyone? Cyclops really taking it in the pants here. I thought he had to lift his visor to shoot out his eye power malarkey. Does that help with the grieving process? Next time I lose a loved one, I'm on the front lawn with my glasses on my forehead while kneeling.

135054.jpg

135053.jpg

135050.jpg

135043.jpg

135051.jpg

Edited by Randall Ries

These intense covers shows Wolverine and Hulk for what could easily be mistaken as a scene in some privacy-free military bathroom where both titans are coming to terms with the reality that Spider-Man spiked their chocolate milk with Ex-Lax and all they can do is stare at each other and scream.

OF KINGS mt

135052.jpg

Edited by Randall Ries