• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Post Your Dumb Comic Book Covers

299 posts in this topic

2 minutes ago, greggy said:

That's what she said. 

what else did she say?
Asking for a friend.

4 hours ago, Randall Ries said:

He looks like a hybrid of Scott Farkus and Jake Busey. Don't need claws at that point. "Ok. I surrender."

Technically it's "Scut Farkus".  I read the book.

1 minute ago, Randall Ries said:

See, that's what I thought. He could have played a decent Rorshach in the Watchmen movie.

I just dont see how the artist drew that Wolvershach and sat back and said 'awesome'.
If I drew that I would rip it up and not draw for a week out of sheer frustration.

26 minutes ago, kav said:

I just dont see how the artist drew that Wolvershach and sat back and said 'awesome'.
If I drew that I would rip it up and not draw for a week out of sheer frustration.

Sometimes....SOMETIMES....I get the feeling some of these artists let their teen kids draw for them. I mean come on. Why did the editor let that slide? If I were an artist, I would KNOW better than to draw like that. WolvieBuseyScut. It's one of those so bad drawings it's fascinatingly compulsive.

2 minutes ago, Randall Ries said:

Sometimes....SOMETIMES....I get the feeling some of these artists let their teen kids draw for them. I mean come on. Why did the editor let that slide? If I were an artist, I would KNOW better than to draw like that. WolvieBuseyScut. It's one of those so bad drawings it's fascinatingly compulsive.

the thing with drawing is you dont see your own mistakes-until you hold it in front of a mirror. The brain then gets a fresh look at it and thats when you go OMG.
these artists need to use the mirror.

On 6/4/2021 at 10:05 PM, Randall Ries said:

it's not so good. I handled it ok with The Hobbit. Cool World was bashed over and over again after being heralded as a Ralph Bakshi joint. He did himself no favors with that movie.

Just to make sure no one accidentally thinks well of Bakshi, he didn't do the 1977 Hobbit animated film. That's a Rankin/Bass production (the people behind Rudolph the Red Nosed Raindeer, etc.), with the actual animation outsourced to a Japanese company called Topcraft (which you may know from the name of its successor company -- Studio Ghibli). It's actually pretty good. The same team did the 1980 Return of the King. It's ... not as good.

Bakshi was only responsible for the 1978 Lord of the Rings, which was ... fairly awful, actually, but Tolkein carries a lot of dead weight. Bakshi's Wizards is also pretty wretched, although I guess some people like it? I've always thought it was cliched and hamfisted, even for 1977. Also, I mean ... the central plot driver is that two million year old Nazi propaganda films are used to inspire an army of mutants and monsters? Check me out of the suspension of disbelief party.

27 minutes ago, kav said:

the thing with drawing is you dont see your own mistakes-until you hold it in front of a mirror. The brain then gets a fresh look at it and thats when you go OMG.
these artists need to use the mirror.

They need to open their effing eyes. The only way I can see my mistakes is if I flip the drawing over and look at it through the other side of the paper, if you will. Hold it up to the light. THEN I crumble it up and throw it away. Or eat it whole so no-one ever sees it.

1 minute ago, Qalyar said:

Just to make sure no one accidentally thinks well of Bakshi, he didn't do the 1977 Hobbit animated film. That's a Rankin/Bass production (the people behind Rudolph the Red Nosed Raindeer, etc.), with the actual animation outsourced to a Japanese company called Topcraft (which you may know from the name of its successor company -- Studio Ghibli). It's actually pretty good. The same team did the 1980 Return of the King. It's ... not as good.

Bakshi was only responsible for the 1978 Lord of the Rings, which was ... fairly awful, actually, but Tolkein carries a lot of dead weight. Bakshi's Wizards is also pretty wretched, although I guess some people like it? I've always thought it was cliched and hamfisted, even for 1977. Also, I mean ... the central plot driver is that two million year old Nazi propaganda films are used to inspire an army of mutants and monsters? Check me out of the suspension of disbelief party.

Thanks for that info. As I age, all this useless info I have kept in my head for so many years begins to flow together. But some things I have straight. Like how horrible "Cool World" was.

Spit curl, chin dimple and Superneck pushing Nationalism. Also, has anyone else noticed that the characters tend to look off to their right (our left) while ignoring us? Same with rock star poses. What? Think you better than me?

adv_600.jpg.5e19bd2fc499e43e80447aa2852fffb3.jpg

Blistick"?  Really?  Isn't that a lip balm? Note the knee pads, belt pouches, and arm bands that all the cool kids were wearing in the early 90's (thanks to the boy geniuses at Image Comics).

Is that an energy burst coming out of Blistik's lance, or is he applying soothing lip balm to the two enormous lips adorning (what I assume to be) Cap's shield?

I understand the liberties comic book artists routinely take with human anatomy, but when Cap's calf muscle exceeds the size of his peanut-sized skull, you've lost me.

6a00d8345158e369e200e553cc20008833-800wi.jpg

8 minutes ago, Randall Ries said:

Spit curl, chin dimple and Superneck pushing Nationalism. Also, has anyone else noticed that the characters tend to look off to their right (our left) while ignoring us? Same with rock star poses. What? Think you better than me?

adv_600.jpg.5e19bd2fc499e43e80447aa2852fffb3.jpg

hate the huge jaw look.  hate it.  tiny cranium, huge mandible. :sick: