• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

CGC grading compared to PSA

34 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, Rufuss C. Kingston said:

I see two white specs on the left back border....  

Well spotted! I had to zoom in on a detail of the photo to see what you meant. Here it is at full resolution (the original image is over 500MB). Without the card though, hard to tell if it is dust on the card or part of the card.

back detail.jpg

On 6/13/2021 at 12:28 PM, paqart said:

Here are some more of my pre-CGC card photos and their grades:

1) Charizard 3/110 :not graded yet

2) Charizard 6/165: 9.0

3) Charizard 39/165: not graded yet

4) Crobat 147/144: 9.5

5) Crobat H5/H32: not graded yet

6) Dark Gengar 6/105: 9.0

7) Articuno H3/H32: There were two of these. One graded 9.5, the other 9.0. I don't know which one this was.

Charizard 3-110 Front.jpg

Charizard 6-165 Front.jpg

Charizard 39-165 Front.jpg

Crobat 147-144 Front.jpg

Crobat H5-H32 Front.jpg

Dark Gengar 6-105 Front.jpg

Articuno Skyridge in case Front.jpg

I really hope you paid for sub-grades on such high end cards in such good condition! Subgrades will tell you why they got the grade they got as well. 

54 minutes ago, Eric Sorensen said:

I really wish you could sign an upcharge waiver, stating that the customer consents to CGC charging for subgrades (where there weren't any), and extra shipping obviously, if CGC knows that a card had earned 4x10's. 

From my understanding, nonsubgrade submissions and subgrades submissions are graded differently. 

My first batch of Pokémon cards just came back. Sent March 03, 2021, received June 14, 2021, standard tier (max value $1,000). Wafting on three more batches of cards. Now I have to figure out how to sell them.

TCG 02.jpg

TCG 03.jpg

On 6/5/2021 at 8:55 PM, Holku said:

CGC will give a card the following:

4 10 subgrades = Perfect 10

3 10 subgrades, 1 9.5 = Pristine 10

3 10 subgrades, 1 9.0 or below = 9.5 or below

2 10 sub-grades, 2 9.5 or below = 9.5 or below

Perfect 10 is not allowed unless you pay for sub-grades; CGC will not allow it

Pristine and perfect 10 is not generally seen if you submitted at Bulk level

What do you mean generally not at bulk level?

I submitted tons of cards at bulk so I can save enough money to add subgrades to each lol. Kinda messed up they wouldnt give you a 10 just bc you paid for a lower tier service..

This is going to become a hotter topic as time moves on. I collect baseball and football cards aside from comics. My sense is this:

CGC rarely grades comics 10's with a few exceptions, typically related to cover stock. 9.8 is considered NM/M and a nearly perfect book.

CSG 9.5 I view as a CGC 9.8.

PSA hands out 10's like free popcorn at a car dealership, this alone will make competitors who grade tighter more appealing to collectors who buy the card and not the label.

Youtube and sites are getting flooded with people complaining that they are not getting PSA 10's on modern cards (my first submission to PSA was like that, but I am not complaining). 

PSA KNOWS that the competition is about to get wild and they will have to adjust or fall to the wayside similar to CGC's competition.

13 hours ago, Rufuss C. Kingston said:

I agree with this, these would be your easiest way to sell them.  You could potentially get more selling yourself with a Buy It Now, but maybe not.

I've heard it can take awhile for PWCC to wire you your money, but it takes out all the hassle and stress of selling them yourself.

17 hours ago, paqart said:

My first batch of Pokémon cards just came back. Sent March 03, 2021, received June 14, 2021, standard tier (max value $1,000). Wafting on three more batches of cards. Now I have to figure out how to sell them.

TCG 02.jpg

TCG 03.jpg

I’m actually trying to complete a CGC 9.5 skyridge set, I’d be interested in the entire bottom row here. Let me know if you’d be open to discussing a price point for a few of these via direct message. If you’d rather just auction on PWCC or eBay just let me know so I know where and when to look for these lol.

proof:

90E5EA09-EBB6-4E6B-88C8-1AB81E14C88E.thumb.jpeg.e5984ab224a08304ba5cc785b778c765.jpeg

23 hours ago, HomeGrownPoke1 said:

From my understanding, nonsubgrade submissions and subgrades submissions are graded differently. 

Interesting... Would you say nonsubgrade slabs were put through a more lenient grading process? I'm genuinely curious to learn more about the difference - I literally thought it was just the price difference, since they don't make a big deal about it in their add-on's section.

1 hour ago, Eric Sorensen said:

Interesting... Would you say nonsubgrade slabs were put through a more lenient grading process? I'm genuinely curious to learn more about the difference - I literally thought it was just the price difference, since they don't make a big deal about it in their add-on's section.

Here ya go.......

https://www.cgccomics.com/boards/topic/480470-can-you-get-a-perfect-10-on-a-card-with-no-subgrades-or-only-pristine/

1 hour ago, Eric Sorensen said:

It also adds 5 days to your TAT