• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Auction Bidding strategies
1 1

43 posts in this topic

I’m not looking for some big insider secret here, but I am curious…

im interested in two things in an upcoming auction.  One ends Thursday and one ends Saturday.  I would want the Saturday page more, but I would certainly want the Thursday page if the Saturday one didn’t pan out.

How would you plan your bidding for that?

I ultimately decided to put my best and final on the Saturday page and if it’s met by Thursday then I’ll move on the other page, and if it’s not met, I’ll let it ride and just say goodbye to the Thursday option.

but in the future, what should I do? How would you handle it?

Grant be realistic.

•Which one do you have the best chance of winning?
• sounds like Saturday is “the one” but you’ll kick yourself if you don’t get it and pass on trying for Thursday.

I would determine what I’d be happy paying for the Thursday page and go for that—-

If I don’t win them Saturday is still open

Hey I hope you win something

Some of these pieces are deceptively low right now ( or we’re about to get our first push back on pricing?nah!).

Good luck.

2 hours ago, Grant Turner said:

I’m not looking for some big insider secret here, but I am curious…

im interested in two things in an upcoming auction.  One ends Thursday and one ends Saturday.  I would want the Saturday page more, but I would certainly want the Thursday page if the Saturday one didn’t pan out.

How would you plan your bidding for that?

I ultimately decided to put my best and final on the Saturday page and if it’s met by Thursday then I’ll move on the other page, and if it’s not met, I’ll let it ride and just say goodbye to the Thursday option.

but in the future, what should I do? How would you handle it?

In those situations, I just figure I can’t have everything. So if I wanted Saturday more, I’d just focus on that. If I didn’t get it,  more money saved for the next piece down the road. 

Edited by cloud cloddie

Usually Thursday stuff is platinum so more expensive. Saturday stuff will generally be way less. So if you can afford the Thursday item.. you have a great chance at affording the Saturday item. (All under assumption you are talking about heritage)

But putting the bid in advance and letting it ride isn't a good move. You need to be present at the end to bid if you want a better chance to win.

Edited by Panelfan1

First, I would look at why I wanted them. Do they both fill the same hole in my collection, different holes, or do I just like them both? Second, what is my budget like? Can I afford triple-market on either of them? (My estimate of a reserve I may need). Third, are they rare? Finally, how much do I really like them? 

If the goal is to fill a hole in the collection, or if I really want something, I “borrow” from a different account, if need be, and buy it, almost no matter what. If my interest is to just accumulate a piece I like, and am not blown away by Saturday’s offering, I go for Thursday. If they both fill holes, and are rare, I go for both. You only live once. Ask Batman Fan. As I recall, he’s down to his right nut after his last purchase.

Just wanted to add that the ones that drive you crazy, years later, are the ones you didn’t win.

Edited by Rick2you2

Lately, I've tweaked my approach to reflect today's frothy market conditions.  For prep, I try to prioritize and limit my targets to just 3 pieces on Thurs and 3 pieces on Sat-- otherwise, I'm scattering bids with minimal/no chances of winning--  with a goal to pick up 2 pieces (1 major, 1 minor) every auction.  If  one target goes above my price ceiling in pre-live bidding (happens alot more these days), I'll replace with the next prioritized lot.  Depending on results on my targets , I then focus on other pieces "downstream" in the lot order for each session.  

Doesn't matter what advice the previous respondents have provide to you re: bidding strategies.

Using strategies will help you win both pieces only if you bid the most.

If you really must have both and feel that you may not have enough funds, then just keep in mind that HA offers 3 months to pay, if arrangements are made in advance.  They can also provide cash advance against items you consign in upcoming auctions, and last, but certainly not least, since money is practically free these days, use a line of credit with your financial institution.  

2 hours ago, jjonahjameson11 said:

Doesn't matter what advice the previous respondents have provide to you re: bidding strategies.

Using strategies will help you win both pieces only if you bid the most.

If you really must have both and feel that you may not have enough funds, then just keep in mind that HA offers 3 months to pay, if arrangements are made in advance.  They can also provide cash advance against items you consign in upcoming auctions, and last, but certainly not least, since money is practically free these days, use a line of credit with your financial institution.  

True, but I think he is looking for advice how to prioritize.

First world problems... the timing, budget, desirability, rarity, FMV, current prices vs probable final costs...

There's no formula.

Edited by Will_K

For me, the MOST IMPORTANT process would be to put my absolute caps on pieces and  jot em down, so when the bidding frenzy starts, I already have my most uncomfortable last bid figured out. Once it passes that amount, I’m done… I’m a spectator. 

This lets me take the heat of battle emotions out of it when trying to figure out whether or not to place another bid, and keeps me from paying 1st tier artist prices for a 3rd tier artist work ; )

4 minutes ago, gumbydarnit said:

For me, the MOST IMPORTANT process would be to put my absolute caps on pieces and  jot em down, so when the bidding frenzy starts, I already have my most uncomfortable last bid figured out. Once it passes that amount, I’m done… I’m a spectator. 

This lets me take the heat of battle emotions out of it when trying to figure out whether or not to place another bid, and keeps me from paying 1st tier artist prices for a 3rd tier artist work ; )

That’s what I ended up doing!

Edited by Grant Turner