• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

“Shoreline” removal
1 1

16 posts in this topic

This one was pretty bad but I decided to take a crack at it and I have to say I’m pretty happy with the results. I figured I’d chance it and take one for the team but was very careful about not causing further damage to an already hideous book. Just thought I’d share. All input is appreciated.

0275D57A-381B-4300-9A0B-156A24AA905B.jpeg

12 hours ago, B2D327 said:

This one was pretty bad but I decided to take a crack at it and I have to say I’m pretty happy with the results. I figured I’d chance it and take one for the team but was very careful about not causing further damage to an already hideous book. Just thought I’d share. All input is appreciated.

0275D57A-381B-4300-9A0B-156A24AA905B.jpeg

Feels more like a trade up than an improvement.

3 hours ago, theCapraAegagrus said:

Same lighting? The after looks worse IMO.

I don't think it's a lightning artifact. Compare the UL corners, which match pretty well in terms of background whiteness.

I'm not sure this is better. It's certainly a lower contrast stain now that the pigmentation from the tide lines has been distributed over most of the back of the book. Arguably, I guess that means it presents better? But from a technical grading standpoint, there's now a larger area of the cover directly affected by the stain. So... I suppose it depends on what you want out of your stains?

3 minutes ago, Qalyar said:

I don't think it's a lightning artifact. Compare the UL corners, which match pretty well in terms of background whiteness.

I'm not sure this is better. It's certainly a lower contrast stain now that the pigmentation from the tide lines has been distributed over most of the back of the book. Arguably, I guess that means it presents better? But from a technical grading standpoint, there's now a larger area of the cover directly affected by the stain. So... I suppose it depends on what you want out of your stains?

If I carp my pants, do I want it all in my underwear, or do I want it running down both of my legs?

22 hours ago, joeypost said:

Before it would have been universal. Now it will be conserved because it was wet washed. 

Interesting. Considering it was only water used, how would that be detected?

7 minutes ago, B2D327 said:

Interesting. Considering it was only water used, how would that be detected?

CGC has their methods, which I am sure will never be published. All I can say is most books I work in I can tell the ones that have been washed (both chemically and with just water). I have no formal training and can determine that a book has been washed, CGC restoration experts will have no trouble. 

2 minutes ago, Sgt. D said:

Makes a bloke wonder if it's "proprietary" because it would run up against water/liquid solvents used as restoration. I can't imagine what other "moisture" could be used along with heat. Seems it would be a steam press like ironing under great pressure. Steam is water.

A couple of notes here: that kind of stain is usually referred to as a "tide line" as opposed to a "shoreline". 

As far as detecting water wash, it impacts sizing and leaves the surface of the cover feeling slightly rough (like a slight "tooth"). This is not unlike wetting a piece of wood prior to a final fine sanding to "raise the grain". Also the water reduces the appearance of the cover gloss.