• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

13th Gen = Gen 13? A minor typographical logo mystery.
1 1

16 posts in this topic

A patently useless discussion about the Gen 13 logo:

So, I happened across this book called '13th Gen' in our local thrift store that was published in 1993. Interestingly enough, in 1993 the term 'Generation X' was only used in one other book to describe that generation (the 13th generation of Americans since our country's independence). What stuck out for me was the typography - and how similar it looked to the style used for Gen 13, which came out a year later. (The term Generation X had been coined in 1991, but for what I could find, '13th Gen' explicitly describes in detail the qualities of the generation).

Most people know the story that Gen 13 originally started out as Gen X, but Marvel was planning on the Generation X comic and wanted to avoid confusion - which is interesting considering the first appearance of Generation X in the Marvel universe wasn't until November 1994. But, Image managed to put out a promo poster for Gen X before they changed the name to Gen 13. Which features a similar type treatment (notably, the 'G') but with some other tweaks to it.

Presumably, the Gen 13 comic was in development in 1994 and since Gen X couldn't be used, they used Gen 13 - and the age group fits the timeframe in which Gen Xers were born. Not that I remember, but perhaps this book was popular enough to be in the hands of Gen 13's creators and influencing their logo treatment? The Devil's advocate side of this argument would be that compressed, block type was definitely in vogue for type treatments of the day.

13thGen.jpg

genxposter.jpg

gen13.jpg

Edited by Dr. Balls

42 minutes ago, Dr. Balls said:

The Devil's advocate side of this argument would be that compressed, block type was definitely in vogue for type treatments of the day.

Not sure if this was specifically true for blocky typefaces at the time, but there are definitely font trends. About 15 years ago, Copperplate Gothic was used everywhere. More recently, you couldn't look at more than a few type treatments without seeing Gotham.

57 minutes ago, GeeksAreMyPeeps said:

Not sure if this was specifically true for blocky typefaces at the time, but there are definitely font trends. About 15 years ago, Copperplate Gothic was used everywhere. More recently, you couldn't look at more than a few type treatments without seeing Gotham.

Man, no kidding. I believe I was using Copperplate a TON in the very early 2000s along with Univers, Frutiger and the compressed Helveticas. I guiltily admit over-using Kabel, Matrix, Lithos, Bodoni Poster and Papyrus (ugh) in the late 90's. Seemed like slab serif faces like Aachen and block faces were popular, but thinking back - I can't honestly remember over-using them. I was just out of school in 1994, and my type knowledge was mainly focused on the classics like Goudy, Helvetica, Garamond, etc. until I entered the workforce and had access to a much large type library.

Man, Gotham is EVERYWHERE. I remember discovering it about 10 years ago and plugging it into all sorts of stuff. We'll be seeing Gotham 100 years from now.

Edited by Dr. Balls

4 minutes ago, Dr. Balls said:

Man, no kidding. I believe I was using Copperplate a TON in the very early 2000s along with Univers, Frutiger and the compressed Helveticas. I guiltily admit over-using Kabel, Matrix, Lithos, Bodoni Poster and Papyrus (ugh) in the late 90's. Seemed like slab serif faces like Aachen and block faces were popular, but thinking back - I can't honestly remember over-using them. I was just out of school in 1994, and my type knowledge was mainly focused on the classics like Goudy, Helvetica, Garamond, etc. until I entered the workforce and had access to a much large type library.

Man, Gotham is EVERYWHERE. I remember discovering it about 10 years ago and plugging it into all sorts of stuff. We'll be seeing Gotham 100 years from now.

Gotham is great. I liked Copperplate, but got tired of it after seeing it everywhere. And yeah, Lithos was everywhere too in the '90s (Note the Gen13 cover; Marvel used it a bit too)

1 hour ago, GeeksAreMyPeeps said:

Gotham is great. I liked Copperplate, but got tired of it after seeing it everywhere. And yeah, Lithos was everywhere too in the '90s (Note the Gen13 cover; Marvel used it a bit too)

Man, I had this one client that used Copperplate in his logo and then wanted to use it everywhere in his print collateral. We designed quarterly catalogs for him and trade-show stuff, and my Creative Director was always plugging it into first round logo designs. it was definitely a go-to typeface. Copperplate is still a good typeface, and definitely a classic.

Ha! I totally glossed over that Gen 13 used Lithos right there on the cover. If I remember right, Jurassic Park and McDonalds used LIthos pretty extensively back in the day.

Cool that you have that book. It's an interesting read 30 years later!

3 hours ago, Dr. Balls said:

So, I happened across this book called '13th Gen' in our local thrift store that was published in 1993. Interestingly enough, in 1993 the term 'Generation X' was only used in one other book to describe that generation (the 13th generation of Americans since our country's independence). What stuck out for me was the typography - and how similar it looked to the style used for Gen 13, which came out a year later. (The term Generation X had been coined in 1991, but for what I could find, '13th Gen' explicitly describes in detail the qualities of the generation).

Most people know the story that Gen 13 originally started out as Gen X, but Marvel was planning on the Generation X comic and wanted to avoid confusion - which is interesting considering the first appearance of Generation X in the Marvel universe wasn't until November 1994. But, Image managed to put out a promo poster for Gen X before they changed the name to Gen 13. Which features a similar type treatment (notably, the 'G') but with some other tweaks to it.

Presumably, the Gen 13 comic was in development in 1994 and since Gen X couldn't be used, they used Gen 13 - and the age group fits the timeframe in which Gen Xers were born. Not that I remember, but perhaps this book was popular enough to be in the hands of Gen 13's creators and influencing their logo treatment? The Devil's advocate side of this argument would be that compressed, block type was definitely in vogue for type treatments of the day.

13thGen.jpg

genxposter.jpg

gen13.jpg

:whatthe: a @Dr. Ballssighting!!!! 

23 minutes ago, Dr. Balls said:

Man, I had this one client that used Copperplate in his logo and then wanted to use it everywhere in his print collateral. We designed quarterly catalogs for him and trade-show stuff, and my Creative Director was always plugging it into first round logo designs. it was definitely a go-to typeface. Copperplate is still a good typeface, and definitely a classic.

Ha! I totally glossed over that Gen 13 used Lithos right there on the cover. If I remember right, Jurassic Park and McDonalds used LIthos pretty extensively back in the day.

Cool that you have that book. It's an interesting read 30 years later!

A lot of the early Image books did. I think it was one of the standard typefaces that came on a Mac back then. It was a popular choice on the covers of the typographical monstrosity mutant mini-series in the '90s as well.

image.thumb.png.bee43fb74d5238dca673d681b614a259.png

image.thumb.png.23aadcf36228357703451c36255410a6.png

Edited by GeeksAreMyPeeps

13 hours ago, Dr. Balls said:

13thGen.jpg

genxposter.jpg

gen13.jpg

Nice newsstand 

I was a Gen13 fan. Even have a Frisbee with the logo on it. No idea where it came from.

Nice to learn a little history as well, I didn't know generation X was the 13th generation 

On 6/20/2021 at 11:23 AM, Dr. Dank said:

I was a Gen13 fan. Even have a Frisbee with the logo on it. No idea where it came from.

Nice to learn a little history as well, I didn't know generation X was the 13th generation 

I've still got the movie on VHS packed away. I wish that'd get a re-release. From what I remember it wasn't that bad, though to be fair about all I remember is the shower scene. (:

On 6/18/2021 at 1:23 AM, jsilverjanet said:

That GenX is an actual book

i have a copy

early Campbell 

?

My understanding is the title was originally advertised as GenX, but they got a cease-and-desist letter from Marvel, hence the mini-series # 1 having the name changed to Gen13 and being delayed a few months.

There are true GenX versions that exist?

On 7/27/2021 at 7:22 AM, Gatsby77 said:

?

My understanding is the title was originally advertised as GenX, but they got a cease-and-desist letter from Marvel, hence the mini-series # 1 having the name changed to Gen13 and being delayed a few months.

There are true GenX versions that exist?

sorry i have a copy of the inside image, i meant to say that it has the genx reference on the cover

On 6/18/2021 at 1:14 AM, Juno Beach said:

Campbell's first cover

bc_158366_0_InsideImage6.jpg