• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Considering pieces from your collection because of Heritage crazy final hammers....
1 1

80 posts in this topic

3 hours ago, zhamlau said:

Auctions are just easier then dealing with game players, goldbricks, and bludgers (which this “hobby” has a lot of). I send a ton of material to auction I don’t even show around anymore just to save the hassle.

Yeah, agree.     I think with prices where they are its just really hard to find the guy that wants to be the end consumer.   The auction can find that guy for you.

3 minutes ago, Bill C said:He was belligerent and insulting in several ways, though- to the point that the money just wasn't worth the aggravation.

Bill sorry to hear that… at least he didn’t say “he’s my favorite artist and if you’d find it in your heart to let the piece go I can die happy and complete!” before cussin’ you out.

16 hours ago, Bronty said:

Private sales have gotten worse, haven’t they?    Maybe that’s natural as prices go up but it definitely feels harder to find a reasonable buyer or seller privately than it used to be . 

I usually ask the seller or person I approach first if they would be interested in selling/hearing an offer on the piece I'm interested in. Depending on the piece and how motivated the person is in selling I'll ask if they have a number in mind or at least range for price. This isn't done to try and get it cheaper but because I don't always have comps available to know what a good offer is and don't want to make an offer that would be seen as low, especially if I'm the one approaching them on a piece they haven't advertised as being for sale. I might ask if they have a number in mind too in the same message where I give them a dollar figure as an offer to speed things along and show that I'm willing to go up. 

If they give me a number I only consider how much I like and want to the piece and if I CAN AFFORD THE PRICE. Even if it's above FMV if I want the piece and can afford it I'll accept it, especially when I'm the person who approaches them on something that wasn't for sale since I know I'm at a disadvantage and they have no real motivation in wanting to sell the piece. I might do a counter-offer only if it's extremely off but will still try to keep it high to comparable comps if they exist.

This is my approach to doing private deals and don't think it's a bad one. The hardest thing is really just getting through that initial barrier of getting the would be seller to consider selling their art but there are some ways to tell how open people are to these unprompted messages. Some say on CAF that it's ok to contact to contact them with offers, seeing that they have a lot of activity of doing trades and sales with fellow collectors, or how the piece you like differs and isn't inline with their collecting focus and something they don't rank high in their collection.

4 hours ago, Bill C said:

I think there are pros and cons to doing it either way. I'm not adverse to doing private deals in general.

That said, I did have someone come at me recently inquiring on something very much not for sale. Offered multiples of what comps have sold for in public (although to be fair the last comp was half a decade ago, so that data isn't worth much anything). A strong offer in various ways, one to at least be taken seriously and think on. He was belligerent and insulting in several ways, though- to the point that the money just wasn't worth the aggravation.

In a hobby with so much passion involved, it never is. 

1 hour ago, stinkininkin said:

Respectfully, your approach would not get my attention. Getting me to consider selling a not for sale piece from my collection in the current market would take a VERY aggressive offer right out of the gate. Asking if I have a number in mind pretty much shuts down all consideration from my end. I've had most of my art for decades, have no desire or need to sell, and would need to be offered outlier auction result prices to even get my brain engaged. Even then it's probably a no, but unless you come out with your guns blazing, your chances are less than zero. If you don't know what FMV is on what you are asking for, it's your responsibility to find out. Again, I say this respectfully, as I think you are coming at this honestly, but I wanted to give you something to consider moving forward.

That's fine, I didn't take it as a jab or anything like that. Just figure I share my method and what has at least worked for me. Though I do have different methods depending again if this is a seller or a coldcall.

11 minutes ago, DeadpoolJr. said:

That's fine, I didn't take it as a jab or anything like that. Just figure I share my method and what has at least worked for me. Though I do have different methods depending again if this is a seller or a coldcall.

I think the issue that some sellers would have is that your method is contradictory:

1. "I usually ask the seller or person I approach first if they would be interested in selling/hearing an offer"; and

2. "I'll ask if they have a number in mind"

These two statements don't go together.     If you ask me if I want to hear an offer, and then effectively turn around and ask me to make one to you, you've pizzed  off a lot of sellers before we are two emails deep.    Some will put up with it if its a piece they want to dump, but this approach is exactly why people want to just send things to auction IMO.

I.e. if you do want to make an offer, make an offer.

If you want me to give you a price, then say so right away so that I can delete your email and not waste my time.    I don't mean that disrespectfully, but at that point you're fitting the profile of someone who I'm going to talk to for hours and not reach a deal with.

Edited by Bronty

I never get why people ask you about NFS items you have in your gallery, then say “what did you want for it?”…

I mean how goofy/lazy/entitled are some people!? They want to buy something you clearly love, are aggressive and getting your attention unsolicited….yet are still afraid of (god forbid) overpaying and want you to petition them with a price they can mull over.  Such a goofy “hobby”.

Big private sales proponent here.  Two of my best covers I got (around or under then-FMV) via negotiations on NFS works.  Unlike many of us here, some CAFers don't keep too abreast of their collections or the market, and don't realize until asked that they'd actually prefer to cash out at a given time for whatever reason(s).   Polite persistence is key.

I doubt I would've forked over the $$$ to win either cover in a hypothetical auction (supercharged environment) today.

Edited by exitmusicblue

19 hours ago, zhamlau said:

...dealing with game players, goldbricks, and bludgers (which this “hobby” has a lot of).

Lookit you, throwin' around with the fancy obscure characterizations.

(Yeah, I had to look up two of them.  Me = Mediocre English Major )

7 hours ago, tth2 said:

Exactly.  My immediate response would be "You're the one contacting me to buy my piece, so why are you asking me to propose a price?"

If someone asks for the price of a piece that's NFS, they should expect me to give a price that equates to whatever else I'm going to turn around and buy to replace the happiness attributed to the NFS piece.  Even if that price is 10x market value.  "You can't put a price on happiness" should really be "you can't put a REASONABLE price on happiness."  Of course, no one knows what emotional value an owner has to a piece, but they need to be prepared to understand that it's NFS for a reason.

Sometimes I wonder if there isn’t a unconnected group of people that just go through peoples art and make lowball offers on pieces hoping to snag something on the cheap.  I took down a lot of my stuff just because I got tired of all the “interested in selling?”  “How much ya want?”  “The piece is not real good but I am willing to take it off your hands”. “You have several pieces similar to the one I want which isn’t really that good but I am willing to take it off your hands”.

I do find the “I am open to offers” reply cuts the conversation short in about 1/2 the cases and for the other half that makes an offer a simple “that is less than I paid for the piece 15 years ago and I have offers on the table for 10x more than you offered” ends the conversation.