• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Considering pieces from your collection because of Heritage crazy final hammers....
1 1

80 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, batman_fan said:

Sometimes I wonder if there isn’t a unconnected group of people that just go through peoples art and make lowball offers on pieces hoping to snag something on the cheap.  I took down a lot of my stuff just because I got tired of all the “interested in selling?”  “How much ya want?”  “The piece is not real good but I am willing to take it off your hands”. “You have several pieces similar to the one I want which isn’t really that good but I am willing to take it off your hands”.

I do find the “I am open to offers” reply cuts the conversation short in about 1/2 the cases and for the other half that makes an offer a simple “that is less than I paid for the piece 15 years ago and I have offers on the table for 10x more than you offered” ends the conversation.

Exactly.  I preface my reply with, "I am a collector, too, so any price would at least reflect the current value."  Usually works to weed out the predators.  David

I had a Byrne Wonder Woman splash a long time ago.  Someone reached out to me about buying it which I decline (no price discussed, just not interested in selling).  He came back later telling me he had two pages next to mine from the same issue.  Cant remember before or after and how much he loved the story bla bla bla.  I finally agreed to sell it to him for a decent price.  A few months later he sold the group of three pieces on eBay.  I don’t fault him for selling the piece since I willingly sold it and once sold, I have no say in what the buyer does but now the sob story carries zero sway with me.  I always assume someone with a sob story is buying from me to resale because they either have a buyer or believe the piece is a price that leaves meat on the bone for them and plan to sell.  This always makes me think “the price is too low” and I pass.

2 minutes ago, batman_fan said:

I had a Byrne Wonder Woman splash a long time ago.  Someone reached out to me about buying it which I decline (no price discussed, just not interested in selling).  He came back later telling me he had two pages next to mine from the same issue.  Cant remember before or after and how much he loved the story bla bla bla.  I finally agreed to sell it to him for a decent price.  A few months later he sold the group of three pieces on eBay.  I don’t fault him for selling the piece since I willingly sold it and once sold, I have no say in what the buyer does but now the sob story carries zero sway with me.  I always assume someone with a sob story is buying from me to resale because they either have a buyer or believe the piece is a price that leaves meat on the bone for them and plan to sell.  This always makes me think “the price is too low” and I pass.

Yes, I get the SOB stories looking for a discount on their “most favorite piece in the whole world”, but it doesn’t work on me. 
Turns out they wind up reselling the art immediately, or drop into an auction. 

35 minutes ago, SquareChaos said:

I get it, I get it, people are garbage, don't trust anyone, keep your cash in your mattress and don't believe a word of anything, they're all out to get us!

Well, I am glad you've gotten on board finally....

3 hours ago, comix4fun said:

What's been happening lately, I've noticed, is immediately after some high profile auction concludes, that there are folks who start emailing through CAF trying to pull similar examples as what just sold as some massive multiple at auction at low end prices, hoping the owner didn't pay attention to the auction results. 

Not quite the same thing, but for those that signed up for the HA accept offers program (or whatever it's called) have you been getting a bunch of low ball offers?

I turned it on and years ago I got a great offer that I accepted, and the seller didn't follow up :cry:

Within the last week I got 3-4 offers from items that sold like 8-10 years ago.  The first one or two I just said no or sold, but the last 2 I just decided to counter at 2 to 3x of FMV.  They were instantly rejected :nyah:

Malvin

9 minutes ago, malvin said:

Not quite the same thing, but for those that signed up for the HA accept offers program (or whatever it's called) have you been getting a bunch of low ball offers?

I turned it on and years ago I got a great offer that I accepted, and the seller didn't follow up :cry:

Within the last week I got 3-4 offers from items that sold like 8-10 years ago.  The first one or two I just said no or sold, but the last 2 I just decided to counter at 2 to 3x of FMV.  They were instantly rejected :nyah:

Malvin

That sounds like it could be fun hm

20 minutes ago, malvin said:

Yes, it appears some people are doing this.

I believe you can set a minimum offer now to counteract the garbage ones. :)

8 minutes ago, Twanj said:

I won a Marvel Spotlight ten years ago and mack in march someone offered me twice what I won it for. But its a nice Sutton/mooney ghost rider page and I want to keep it. Within two weeks after that I received half dozen more offers which increased to the final one being $1K over the initial offer. 

4 hours ago, comix4fun said:

Are you talking about when you post a piece for sale or when someone comes at you on a NFS piece? 

I can't imagine justifying my asking price with comparable sales on a piece that's NFS when someone came to me to get me to sell. 

I have lots of great stories of people coming to me, trying to buy a piece, and trying all kinds of fun tactics.

The worst? Well, that was a guy who kept posting WTB's for various artists and titles, saying he would pay blue chip prices and over market. Came to me with a power-point like presentation about all the ways my piece was substandard, and really quite bad, but that he would still be willing to buy it....for about 80% below true market. 

What's been happening lately, I've noticed, is immediately after some high profile auction concludes, that there are folks who start emailing through CAF trying to pull similar examples as what just sold as some massive multiple at auction at low end prices, hoping the owner didn't pay attention to the auction results. 

I've had people who tried to get pieces long in the past 3-4-5 years ago, see auction results showing that values had doubled or tripled in the mean time, and comeback offering 10% or 12% more than their old offer. Maybe it works often enough that they think it's worth trying. 

Still, I've had lots of great private interactions and sales. And in the last two years I've had more overwhelmingly good offers than I would have imagined, so I won't swear off private deals entirely. 

That would be worth seeing - too funny!

3 hours ago, Twanj said:

That will take time to go through my purchases.  I'll take a shortcut and  just keep on going back with 3x FMV :nyah:

Malvin

On 6/21/2021 at 11:22 PM, Infamouspure22 said:

I have a pretty iconic Byrne piece that I am considering sending to auction.  Real life stuff like kids college tuition, cars, etc. are here so it might be time.  My reasoning isn't just because of the high auction prices (although thats the main reason lol)

Private sales can be an ordeal.  They involve so much posturing and negotiations and I definitely don't want to go through all of that if its already hard enough to let my favorite piece go.  The whole dance of me naming my asking price and providing comps and the interested party trying to dispute my valuation is tiresome, stressful, and at times insulting.  So yeah, if I ever let my Byrne go, I would most likely send to auction to realize its full value.  But if a legit buyer comes at me with an offer I can't refuse, then that works too lol.  But it seems there are only a few serious collectors that do that any more these days.

Guys that know me, know the piece I'm referring to.  I am just speaking re my viewpoint on the topic so please don't ask which piece.  I won't confirm or deny lol:)

Selling privately is the worst which is why I’ve never done it. I’ve put feelers out on selling a couple pages in the past and deals never happen. I shouldn’t complain though as those pages have gone up multiples. 

Edited by jsylvester