• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Considering pieces from your collection because of Heritage crazy final hammers....
1 1

80 posts in this topic

On 6/21/2021 at 11:37 PM, Bronty said:

Private sales have gotten worse, haven’t they?    Maybe that’s natural as prices go up but it definitely feels harder to find a reasonable buyer or seller privately than it used to be . 

Prices have gone so high I’m hesitant to even list art with a price. It’s just so much easier to send to auction.

5 hours ago, JadeGiant said:

That would be worth seeing - too funny!

It's funny now......back then though? Not as much. lol 

4 hours ago, Rick2you2 said:
All of this is a bit unnerving if someone is just trying to act in good faith.

From experience...Good Faith is as Good Faith does. 

Really, an ounce of putting themselves in the owner's shoes, and not only thinking of "I like piece, so I must have piece, bend to my desires" as A LOT of people roll in with as an expectation, would go a long long way. 

"Good Faith" is usually shown by treating as one wants to be treated. If someone rolls into a NFS piece as if it's a garage sale, or if someone starts a conversation thinking the owner has no idea what the market is or how it's changed....well, it's not going to go well. 

Lots of people get it right, most of them I'd say. 

Edited by comix4fun

9 hours ago, comix4fun said:

From experience...Good Faith is as Good Faith does. 

Really, an ounce of putting themselves in the owner's shoes, and not only thinking of "I like piece, so I must have piece, bend to my desires" as A LOT of people roll in with as an expectation, would go a long long way. 

"Good Faith" is usually shown by treating as one wants to be treated. If someone rolls into a NFS piece as if it's a garage sale, or if someone starts a conversation thinking the owner has no idea what the market is or how it's changed....well, it's not going to go well. 

Lots of people get it right, most of them I'd say. 

I usually try and save my compliments for after we've agreed upon a price but it's never acting as if the world will fall apart if I didn't get it. 

On 6/23/2021 at 10:54 AM, comix4fun said:

The worst? Well, that was a guy who kept posting WTB's for various artists and titles, saying he would pay blue chip prices and over market. Came to me with a power-point like presentation about all the ways my piece was substandard, and really quite bad, but that he would still be willing to buy it....for about 80% below true market. 

Fine. $50. Final offer. ;)

1 hour ago, Bronty said:

😂

I had a guy who wanted a piece I needed six figures to let go; I had paid a five figure amount.   He said 180, I liked it, so we started to make arrangements for me to drive to his buddy to drop it off  (a four hour trip each way).   

Turned out he wanted to pay 180.... dollars.    Not K 😂  And I was going to take an 8-9 hour round trip to drop it off?   (180 wouldn’t cover the freaking gas let alone the hassle..... lol ).  That one took the cake.   

Of course, to balance the perspective, there are good private deals too.     I've bought and sold privately lots of times happily.    But typically with people I know already.    Strangers have a much lower batting percentage I find, and result in much more wasted time.

Wow, I'd call the dude a psychopath, but psychopaths don't deserve that...

On 6/22/2021 at 9:07 AM, Bill C said:

I think there are pros and cons to doing it either way. I'm not adverse to doing private deals in general.

That said, I did have someone come at me recently inquiring on something very much not for sale. Offered multiples of what comps have sold for in public (although to be fair the last comp was half a decade ago, so that data isn't worth much anything). A strong offer in various ways, one to at least be taken seriously and think on. He was belligerent and insulting in several ways, though- to the point that the money just wasn't worth the aggravation.

I’m sorry about my behavior Bill. I’m in a self help group now. Damn this dirty addiction to art! This won’t happen again I.....

look.... Paw Paw bought me that comic when I was five and.... I remember THAT page most of all...

GIVE ME

GIVE ME

GIVE ME

I NEED

I NEED

Arrrrrgggghhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!

🍇 + 🦍 

1 minute ago, grapeape said:

I’m sorry about my behavior Bill. I’m in a self help group now. Damn this dirty addiction to art! This won’t happen again I.....

look.... Paw Paw bought me that comic when I was five and.... I remember THAT page most of all...

GIVE ME

GIVE ME

GIVE ME

I NEED

I NEED

Arrrrrgggghhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!

🍇 + 🦍 

Dr. Jekyll is not to be left unattended!!

The horror, the horror...

4 minutes ago, exitmusicblue said:

Dr. Jekyll is not to be left unattended!!

The horror, the horror...

Haha!!! The demons gave conquered the great grape ape. The urge to bid, to kill other bids, is too strong. He is conquered! So he conquers!!