• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Kirby Signature Authentication Help
2 2

39 posts in this topic

Howdy.

I came across two books that have Kirby and Stan autos on the splash page. They are still raw and would like some help authenticating them. If anyone can offer their experience I would greatly appreciate it. I have no backstory other than an older collector came into a nearby LCS and sold them. I’m interested but would like to avoid a fake if possible. The two books are X-men 10 and X-men 12. Any information would be greatly appreciated!

5C96009E-BFAF-44BE-B847-11747483AF7F.jpeg

A43BD967-69D9-4643-B6F1-D72E9794A5DF.jpeg

For Stan Lee, there are millions of certified authentic copies available online you can view and compare on your own.  You can start with Cgc SS copies on eBay.

for jack kirby, someone else can chime in who knows more about it than me.

also, if you do a bit of research, there are some companies you can pay to have the signatures professionally assessed and authenticated.  

good luck 

P.s.  as an internet random stranger who may or may not have knowledge, experience, good/bad eyesight, or my own nefarious agenda, I’d rate them as more likely real than not.

Well I don't own the books yet. I am in the process of figuring if I would like to purchase them. Obviously the LCS has priced them on being the signatures are authentic, but I was trying to determine before I made purchase. Since its hard for me to send the book to get authenticated prior.

15 hours ago, 956Ref said:

NICE. I'm no expert, but these look legit to me.

And being on X-Men keys, I can't even imagine how much they're probably asking for them. If you do get them, feel free to PM me and I can give you specific details as to why I think they're good. 

Another grading company would certify them. They use Beckett as a certifier. While they aren't bulletproof, I think they are correct more than incorrect.

I have seen Kirby's wife sign stuff for Jack Kirby and while the signatures look similar, hers are always "neater'. To me, these look real. Perhaps you could strike an agreement with the LCS. If Beckett's say "No these are fake" in writing, you will get the premium back you paid for the signatures?

I just got this book rejected by cbcs - Everyone I showed it to seem to think its the real deal.

Oddly, I submitted a second book signed by Kirby (that I picked up from the same guy) and it passed with flying colors.

ugh. 

IMG_0392.jpg

36 minutes ago, Ozonetv said:

I just got this book rejected by cbcs - Everyone I showed it to seem to think its the real deal.

Oddly, I submitted a second book signed by Kirby (that I picked up from the same guy) and it passed with flying colors.

ugh. 

IMG_0392.jpg

Yeah, your Kirby sig looks legit. Even though it sucks that Beckett screwed up, at least you still have an amazing sig. 

Voldemort used to have David Angelo Roman verifying Kirbys, and he really knows what he's doing. Unfortunately, Beckett has been absolutely TERRIBLE at correctly verifying Jack Kirbys - which is a shame since they used to be so good at it. 

Curious: your second book that did pass verification. Was the signature from the same era as the one you posted above? 

Edited by eee91

3 hours ago, eee91 said:

Yeah, your Kirby sig looks legit. Even though it sucks that Beckett screwed up, at least you still have an amazing sig. 

Voldemort used to have David Angelo Roman verifying Kirbys, and he really knows what he's doing. Unfortunately, Beckett has been absolutely TERRIBLE at correctly verifying Jack Kirbys - which is a shame since they used to be so good at it. 

Curious: your second book that did pass verification. Was the signature from the same era as the one you posted above? 

hard to say - I dont think they were signed at the same time, and the guy I bought them from didnt get them signed himself...

IMG_0990.JPG

On 6/22/2021 at 8:40 AM, 956Ref said:

Howdy.

I came across two books that have Kirby and Stan autos on the splash page. They are still raw and would like some help authenticating them. If anyone can offer their experience I would greatly appreciate it. I have no backstory other than an older collector came into a nearby LCS and sold them. I’m interested but would like to avoid a fake if possible. The two books are X-men 10 and X-men 12. Any information would be greatly appreciated!

What state are you in? Different states have different laws pertaining to selling autographed items.   As I understand it, most states require a seller to give a money back guarantee on the items authenticity.  If the store owner is honest, he will back the books. If he is selling as is, he isn't worth dealing with. If the seller wants a premium pri ce, let him authenticate them. 

Offer a deal contingent on the signatures being verified.

The problem is getting them slabbed eliminate the ability to see the signature so you are paying a premium for them having touched the books.

Just now, BabyAteMyDingo said:

Ah. So they send it back with a note saying "rejected" and you get your grade and a blue label. Sorry for that. Whose signature did they punt?

I told them if it wasnt verfied not to grade it - I'd rather have it CGC'd...it was a kirby. 

IMG_0390.jpg

IMG_0992.JPG

3 hours ago, Ozonetv said:

hard to say - I dont think they were signed at the same time, and the guy I bought them from didnt get them signed himself...

IMG_0990.JPG

WOW. NICE. 

Yeah, that wasn't signed at the same time. With the way his signature changed over his lifetime, I'm guessing that your Avengers 1 was signed sometime before the FF 10, but that's just a guess of mine. James J Johnson or Mr Zipper would know more. 

2 hours ago, Ozonetv said:

Technically they say its "rejected". I know...sadly.

Yup, Ozonetv is right. If you request to not slab your book if it doesn't pass verification, they send it back with a sticker on the bag that says REJECT.

If you tell Voldemort to slab the book even if the sig doesn't pass verification, their blue label will say: "Jack Kirby signature (on 1st page) unverifiable by BAS". 

2 hours ago, BabyAteMyDingo said:

You see this one looks like a Kirby signature his wife signed to me.

Respectfully, totally disagree. Ozonetv's two books look like Jack - not Roz. 

This is a photo someone posted on the boards here a few years back. You can see the top sig is Jack - the bottom two sigs are (most likely) Roz-

screenshot.png.b68255108e202d9b2393c19674825577.png

2 hours ago, Ozonetv said:

I told them if it wasnt verfied not to grade it - I'd rather have it CGC'd...it was a kirby. 

IMG_0992.JPG

Can't believe Beckett would think a Jack Kirby sig in a book with the PASSPORT BOOK SHOP stamp was sus. Yeesh...

For what it's worth, my last two Kirby sig books I sent to Voldemort got rejected, too. Instead I took really good photographs of the signature, then sent the books to CGC to get slabbed. They'll get blue labels with "Jack Kirby written on page 1 in pen" on the label - then I'll keep photographs of the signature with the slab whenever I want to enjoy them.

Now I just have to hope to get my Kirby books back from CGC sometime before 2023... :)

Kirby signed this for me at the NY Comic Con in 1975, so no need for verification. :wink:  Of course after being sold 40 years later, the provenance can no longer be tracked.

At that time, he certainly embellished the capital J more than in a couple of the sigs posted above.

Kirbysig1.thumb.jpg.6a9f0cc1a8fc977d1455a18f3c5aeba8.jpg

Edited by namisgr

I actually got disappointing news back from PSA this week on this one that I had both Kirby and Stan Lee sign in person. There was a note that while the Stan Lee was genuine, they couldn't verify the Kirby. My mistake as now I realize I should send it into CBCS for verification as they should have more experience with Kirby signatures. 

Kirby Lee In Person png.png