• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My New Book - HOW TO ANALYZE & REVIEW COMICS
2 2

18 posts in this topic

12 minutes ago, Mac Man said:

Pretty excited to share news that my first book has been released through Sequart Publishing: HOW TO ANALYZE & REVIEW COMICS. Given our shared interest in comics, I thought y’all would like to check it out. A little about the book:

How to Analyze & Review Comics serves as a mainstream-friendly resource for journalists, academics, students, bloggers, and fans of all kinds. Presented in “bite size” articles and interviews focused on all areas of the comics medium, this accessible collection is for anyone who wants to learn more about how to write, discuss, and better understand the medium of comics.

“An invaluable asset to comics reviewers and critics, giving them much-needed context for their writings.” — Mark Waid

“Unlike literary, art, and film criticism, comics criticism hadn’t had time to develop commonly agreed on standards of analysis and evaluation. Now, with How to Analyze & Review Comics, an important step has been taken, as comics academics, journalists, and creators are given a chance to advance the discussion of what comics analysis could be. Forrest Helvie & co. present a universe of exciting possibilities for the evolution of dialogue about what legendary comics innovator Will Eisner called ’sequential art.”” — Danny Fingeroth (A Marvelous Life: The Amazing Story of Stan Lee)

How to Analyze & Review Comics is a book that’s long been needed in our industry, providing inspiration and illumination for anyone interested in doing comics criticism – and, more importantly, a fun read for anyone interested in how comics works as a medium.” — Fred Van Lente (The Comic Book History of Comics, Make Comics Like the Pros)

2E89F2A4-8C0A-4699-BB39-407DD27BA8B1.jpeg

Congrats on getting it published! 

It sounds very interesting and I should have a read. Even if a story is highly regarded in general, there may still, in the end, be some factor which you dislike which leads you to disagree with the consensus.

It will be worth reading for an alternative insight, but I simply give my honest analysis and conclusions about a comic I’ve read, and if others disagree, that’s fine, as it’s just an exercise in subjectivity -  even with this publication.

On 6/25/2021 at 10:55 PM, catman76 said:

Great just what we need, a book training people how to be snobby a-hole critics. As if all this "nerd" culture wasn't toxic enough.

It isn't limited to groups like us. The opportunity to say whatever you want about every topic with no real repercussions has made all online groups toxic. 

13 hours ago, theCapraAegagrus said:

I'm pessimistically interested.

There are plenty of gatekeepers who "analyze" comics through indoctrinated glasses, so I am hoping that this reading is devoid of that outlook.

There were over two dozen contributors plus interviews with various creators. While every piece may not be everyone's alley, I'm sure there's a little something for everyone :foryou: