• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What is a "Butterfly Flared Corner"?
3 3

20 posts in this topic

Sent a book in for grading by CGC, and was surprised that it came back as a 9.2. The Grader's Note said that it had a "heavy butterfly flared corner". Looking at the book, I don't see a corner that has any clear defect, certainly not one that's "heavy". Does anyone know what that comment is referring to?

Possibly referring to an inner page???  Sometimes the corners are folded over when cut, creating paper that goes beyond the normal profile when folded out.  These are usually called Mavericks, but might also resemble butterfly wings.  Just a guess on my part.

If that's what it is, that's a manufacturer's defect.  It might only be noted, not counted against the grade.  And if that's what it is, the note could have been more descriptive.  Since it is now sealed, good to have the note so you are aware, but it created more questions than answers.

Edited by Lightning55

9 hours ago, Lightning55 said:

Possibly referring to an inner page???  Sometimes the corners are folded over when cut, creating paper that goes beyond the normal profile when folded out.  These are usually called Mavericks, but might also resemble butterfly wings.  Just a guess on my part.

If that's what it is, that's a manufacturer's defect.  It might only be noted, not counted against the grade.  And if that's what it is, the note could have been more descriptive.  Since it is now sealed, good to have the note so you are aware, but it created more questions than answers.

In my mind, I am picturing the inner wrap being folded-in at the top/bottom corner of the spine. Kinda like a pop-up greeting card.

The fact that we have to now guess what is hidden within the comic/slab is sad.  If a note of that type is made, some definition should precede it.  Not a common thing.

Maybe an email to customer service is in order, to check with the grader to clarify.

Could also be that the OP is trying to figure out why he got a 9.2, and if this has something to do with it.  Note is no help there.

18 hours ago, Matt1982 said:

Sent a book in for grading by CGC, and was surprised that it came back as a 9.2. The Grader's Note said that it had a "heavy butterfly flared corner". Looking at the book, I don't see a corner that has any clear defect, certainly not one that's "heavy". Does anyone know what that comment is referring to?

@Jennifer F.

Hi Jennifer - could you advise what a "heavy butterfly flared corner" is please? It's not a term any of us are familiar with. 

Thanks 

Thanks - I appreciate all the really helpful comments. It seems like this is probably something that happened when I had the book pressed before sending it in, or it was something that didn't get caught/fixed when the book was pressed. Would you all agree that this is something that could be fairly easily addressed by cracking the book out of the case, un-butterflying the pages, and then re-pressing and submitting the book? Based on the grader notes and what I see, I think it's pretty likely the book will go up from the 9.2 to at least a 9.6 if the butterfly is fixed. Love your thoughts - thanks.

On 6/27/2021 at 6:47 PM, Lightning55 said:

And if that's what it is, the note could have been more descriptive. 

They do look like butterflies . . . I think it's a very good description. And note, if you have a book with one - DO NOT TRIM IT! :sumo:

3 hours ago, Matt1982 said:

Thanks - I appreciate all the really helpful comments. It seems like this is probably something that happened when I had the book pressed before sending it in, or it was something that didn't get caught/fixed when the book was pressed. Would you all agree that this is something that could be fairly easily addressed by cracking the book out of the case, un-butterflying the pages, and then re-pressing and submitting the book? Based on the grader notes and what I see, I think it's pretty likely the book will go up from the 9.2 to at least a 9.6 if the butterfly is fixed. Love your thoughts - thanks.

No, it's a manufacturing defect. They are not just folded interior pages. There caused by folds before the newsprint is cut. I have seen these on multiple occasions over the years, but never thought to take a picture of it.

On 6/27/2021 at 2:55 PM, Matt1982 said:

Sent a book in for grading by CGC, and was surprised that it came back as a 9.2.

BTW, it looks like a 9.2 to me - spine crease and thumb indent LRFC. (shrug)

What are the dots all along the BC spine? Printer defect?

Edited by divad

1 hour ago, divad said:

BTW, it looks like a 9.2 to me - spine crease and thumb indent LRFC. (shrug)

What are the dots all along the BC spine? Printer defect?

Those dots are the art from the ad on the bc. I think they're spattering mud from the bike.

On 6/27/2021 at 5:55 PM, Matt1982 said:

Sent a book in for grading by CGC, and was surprised that it came back as a 9.2. 

9.2 does seem on the lower end of the range this would get but it was never gonna be a high grade 9.8 type due to the issues with the spine. Did you press the book?