• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

HELP! Need some input on a TMNT #1 trade offer...................
3 3

81 posts in this topic

I posted the pics of my 9.0 TMNT Signature book on my Facebook & here last week having no intention of selling it, however a local dealer/friend saw the post & asked if I would consider selling the book as he loved the gold signature and wanted to know if I was open to any offers? My response was "make me an offer I can't refuse" and he might have..... The offer is 21k CASH & a stunning 2.5 CGC blue FF #1. I asked my wife and her response is as expected......sell the book & do the promised remodel on the kitchen! IMHO it's a stand up offer with a lot of upside for both parties ( both books have bullets on them) Do I need the money? Not really but 21k is 21k & FF 1 is FF 1 & owning either book is pretty cool, so I am asking what do my fellow board members think the financial side of this deal is over say the next few years? Like so many deals in the past I don't want to be saying I should have........either way. Any input, advise or opinions would be a big help as I have a 48 hr window and the offer is off the table.

S5000291.JPG.1392835899b94bc3c01a0568c397532c.jpg

Edited by I am not Glenda

Of course you and everyone should follow all laws and pay all required taxes,  BUT make sure you factor taxes into your considerations.  Other than that I have no advice.

good luck

9 minutes ago, revat said:

Of course you and everyone should follow all laws and pay all required taxes,  BUT make sure you factor taxes into your considerations.  Other than that I have no advice.

good luck

So I ask for advise about a trade and your response is pay your taxes? If I do the trade of course I will pay my taxes. But with all due respect thanks for nothing....( have to love the internet :)

3 minutes ago, I am not Glenda said:

So I ask for advise about a trade and your response is pay your taxes? Of course I will pay my taxes if I do the trade. But with all due respect thanks for nothing....( have to love the internet)

Personally I think a 9.0 ss will eventually get higher than 21k, so that should factor under the "should " qualifier you gave....

I'd love to join you on the internet by asking is your profile pic the pic of the bathroom that needs remodeling? Lol

Personally I've saved higher end books for this as well, rewiring the house, its Texas in case the air conditioner breaks, so in the end it depends on your remodeling being considered an "emergency" or your previous agreed terms to do so

But I dont envy you having to contemplate selling, as I'd never be able to replace mine if I had to let go of them, yet life demands sometimes...

5 minutes ago, comicdonna said:

I would do the trade and enjoy the new kitchen.  

Ah it was the kitchen not the bathroom lol

Well live and learn, reading comprehension aside, life happens 

2 minutes ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

Personally I think a 9.0 ss will eventually get higher than 21k, so that should factor under the "should " qualifier you gave....

I'd love to join you on the internet by asking is your profile pic the pic of the bathroom that needs remodeling? Lol

Personally I've saved higher end books for this as well, rewiring the house, its Texas in case the air conditioner breaks, so in the end it depends on your remodeling being considered an "emergency" or your previous agreed terms to do so

But I dont envy you having to contemplate selling, as I'd never be able to replace mine if I had to let go of them, yet life demands sometimes...

I’m biased, as a tmnt fanboy my gut instinct would be to keep it to the day I die lol 

Pros: The financial offer in cash is pretty in line with a blue label 8.0 from what I’ve been seeing in the market. The FF is a nice consolation for making up the difference and so you don’t feel like you’re just straight up ‘selling out’. FF might surge when they hit the MCU. Kevin’s signature isn’t exactly hard to get so it’s not really adding too much value currently.

Cons: You weren’t looking to sell in the first place so that’s maybe something to take into consideration. TMNT has a ton of stuff coming in the near future including netflix cartoons and a theatrical movie directed by a guy who worked on into the spiderverse (I have high hopes for it). TMNT fans seem to keep getting more and more rabid and I could see issue one blowing up even more even if we are in a collectible bubble.

Whatever you choose to do I hope it all works out! 

49 minutes ago, I am not Glenda said:

So I ask for advise about a trade and your response is pay your taxes? If I do the trade of course I will pay my taxes. But with all due respect thanks for nothing....( have to love the internet :)

Fair enough, you yourself said this type of comic trade is not a common thing for you.  So to me, there’s a bunch of potiential tax issues that are not obvious to the average person that might be of interest.

1.  Does this qualify as a like-kind exchange?

2.  Do you know the basis of your property, or how to calculate it?

3. How are you determining fair value of your item or the other item?

4.  How does boot affect the tax accounting? Do you know what boot is?

5.  Does sales tax factor into your locality?  How do you report and pay it if it does?

6.  How much estimated federal and state tax do you have to pay, if any?  Does that affect your decision on sales price? 

7.  Do you need to pay an accountant to help you get the tax paperwork right?  Does that factor into your decision? 

8.  If there is gain, is it hobby income or business income or some other type of income?

None of these things are necessarily difficult or necessary, depending on how closely you want to adhere to existing tax law and reporting standards, or how much experience one has with this type of thing.  

good luck

8 minutes ago, Ryan. said:

I don't know what boot is. 

It’s different in the US, ENGLAND, and US tax

1 hour ago, revat said:

Fair enough, you yourself said this type of comic trade is not a common thing for you.  So to me, there’s a bunch of potiential tax issues that are not obvious to the average person that might be of interest.

1.  Does this qualify as a like-kind exchange?

2.  Do you know the basis of your property, or how to calculate it?

3. How are you determining fair value of your item or the other item?

4.  How does boot affect the tax accounting? Do you know what boot is?

5.  Does sales tax factor into your locality?  How do you report and pay it if it does?

6.  How much estimated federal and state tax do you have to pay, if any?  Does that affect your decision on sales price? 

7.  Do you need to pay an accountant to help you get the tax paperwork right?  Does that factor into your decision? 

8.  If there is gain, is it hobby income or business income or some other type of income?

None of these things are necessarily difficult or necessary, depending on how closely you want to adhere to existing tax law and reporting standards, or how much experience one has with this type of thing.  

good luck

To be 100% honest I own a business and this would be processed through our accountant at the end of the year, so the tax aspect of the trade is really irrelevant to me. I sincerely thank you for your suggestions & input. However, I was really looking for some guidance in regard to the actual aspect of the trade as both books are very HOT right now but as noted a 2.5 FF #1 while not cheap (15/16k?) is not uncommon but the offer also includes 21k which would mean I am selling a 9.0 signature for apx 36k which seems very fair to me? So while I don't want to really part with the TMNT book it's a very legit offer based on what I have seen of recent sales? The cash while not needed would be a help to update my kitchen which is from when the home was built in 1997. I just have this feeling I am going to regret selling the book and that's why I came here among fellow collectors who I would bet have been in the same spot more then a few times.

1 minute ago, I am not Glenda said:

To be 100% honest I own a business and this would be processed through our accountant at the end of the year, so the tax aspect of the trade is really irrelevant to me. I sincerely thank you for your suggestion & input. However, I was really looking for some guidance in regard to the actual aspect of the trade as both books are very HOT right now but as noted a 2.5 FF #1 while not cheap (15/16k?) is not uncommon but the offer also includes 21k which would make mean I am selling a 9.0 signature for apx 36k & while I don't want to really part with the TMNT book it's a very legit and fair offer based on what I have seen of recent sales? The cash while not needed would be a help to update my kitchen which is from when the home was built in 1997. I just have this feeling I am going to regret selling the book and that's why I came here among fellow collectors who I would bet have been in the same spot more then a few times.

True dat

And it's out of my league

I think it'll come with a bit of regret no matter when you part, I still think buying a lower grade TMNT might suffice

Didn't realize even a 2.5, FF was that high, I've had my chances to buy it at 2k raw and will have to live with that lol