• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The New Owners of CGC
8 8

216 posts in this topic

19 hours ago, onlyweaknesskryptonite said:
19 hours ago, G G ® ™ said:

Well, someone ended up getting :censored:.

Just inflated..

tenor-26.gif.2d1f81192d9bd45491117d75cc8222a4.gif

Well, I guess that would be anybody who was "lucky" enough to have have won any of those so-called "production defect" laced books with those highly suspect and rather inflated graded labels on the top left hand corner of their Promise Collection slab.  :fear:  doh!

On 7/1/2021 at 6:54 PM, musicmeta said:

Yes. Only care about one thing…"Make us a lot of money".  Won't care about "old paper" unless it's making us money.

So, are you hinting to us that Blackstone will be bringing in Jason Ewert to   up CGC as soon as they can squeeze as much potential out of Matt as they possibly can?  :devil:  lol

4 hours ago, Professor Chaos said:

Enough of me being cynical, all I really care about is that the grading standards remain the same.

Exactly what grading standards would these be that you are referring to, as I believe all of CGC's grading standards are undisclosed due to what they claim are for proprietary business reasons?  :devil:

Of course, this also rather kind of conviently allows then to shift all over the place with their grading and never ever really be wrong as clearly evident by some of the grades we've seen from the Promise Collection books?  :frustrated:  :censored:

Edited by lou_fine

19 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

So, are you hinting to us that Blackstone will be bringing in Jason Ewert to   up CGC as soon as they can squeeze as much potential out of Matt as they possibly can?  :devil:  lol

Not sure about Ewert, but pretty sure that I saw this guy on the potential hiring stack for profit maximization.  

20210606_133512.jpg.38164501b92d0d71565da7e308ccf27e.jpg

3 minutes ago, jimbo_7071 said:

Is that Mark Wilson?

Mark of PGC?   I thought he was a good guy.  He's always done right by me.

I know the picture is DD but curious why you would throw Mark's name out there?

4 hours ago, lou_fine said:

lol  Now that would be something.  Bring back Ewert and the new slogan will be “Trim to Win”. 😂

30 minutes ago, G G ® ™ said:

Mark of PGC?   I thought he was a good guy.  He's always done right by me.

I know the picture is DD but curious why you would throw Mark's name out there?

He looks like Mark Wilson—at least to me.

It wouldn't have surprised me if Mark Wilson had gotten arrested for something, though.

He is considered one of the architects of this scam:

https://www.cgccomics.com/news/article/3501/CCS-pressing-defects-reverse-spine-roll/

His cleaning of books has also rubbed many people the wrong way. Read this thread to learn more:

Edited by jimbo_7071

15 minutes ago, comicdonna said:

Wow! Never knew anything of this!  Haven't bought anything from Mark for years but he was always a gentleman. I had a return once and it was simply because I found that the book I bought had been pressed up to a higher grade. As I don't agree with pressing I asked to return it, and he agreed no problem. Always found him to be great to work with personally, but as I say, the quoted thread is a bit of a shock.

1 minute ago, jimbo_7071 said:

He looks like Mark Wilson—at least to me.

It wouldn't have surprised me if Mark Wilson had gotten arrested for something, though.

He is considered on of the architects of this scam:

https://www.cgccomics.com/news/article/3501/CCS-pressing-defects-reverse-spine-roll/

His cleaning of books has also rubbed many people the wrong way. Read this thread to learn more:

Thanks. See my post above. I see where you are coming from now.

23 minutes ago, G G ® ™ said:

Wow! Never knew anything of this!  Haven't bought anything from Mark for years but he was always a gentleman. I had a return once and it was simply because I found that the book I bought had been pressed up to a higher grade. As I don't agree with pressing I asked to return it, and he agreed no problem. Always found him to be great to work with personally, but as I say, the quoted thread is a bit of a shock.

Most con artists are good at acting gracious, affable, avuncular, etc. That's how they get away with the things that they get away with.

That's why you see used car salesmen glad-handing people, not giving people the finger.

Dealers whom some people consider a little brusque—like Richie Muchin or Dan Greenhalgh, let's say—may well be more honest.

Edited by jimbo_7071

1 minute ago, jimbo_7071 said:

Most con artists are good at acting gracious, affable, avuncular, etc. That's how they get away with the things that they get away with.

That's why you see used car salesmen glad-handing people, not giving people the finger.

Dealers whom some people consider a little brusque, like Richie Muchin or Dan Greenhalgh, let's say—may well be more honest.

I get what you are saying but it's a real shock to me. Mark wasn't just affable to me, he did me a real few solids over the years, deal wise. I genuinely thought he was above reproach in terms of not to be trusted.

I find this very sad.

5 hours ago, lou_fine said:

Exactly what grading standards would these be that you are referring to, as I believe all of CGC's grading standards are undisclosed due to what they claim are for proprietary business reasons?  :devil:

Of course, this also rather kind of conviently allows then to shift all over the place with their grading and never ever really be wrong as clearly evident by some of the grades we've seen from the Promise Collection books?  :frustrated:  :censored:

It seems like CGC may be breathing it’s last breath with this acquisition.

I think their grading has also been suspect on Signature Series books for awhile. Look over at the signature threads… there are books over there with pieces cut out and burnt up in the name of ‘art’ with 9.8s (NOT qualified) as far as the eye can see yet one can’t get a Universal 9.8 with a defect you can barely see under a loupe.

Next look at the results from private signings… seems like 9.8s are handed out like candy as long as the book is signed ‘in-house.’

They can put whatever grade they feel like on a book now and nobody can question them. 2c

The thing that really bothers me is that I still, for some reason, give a and can’t walk away when that is what I should be doing. 

1 hour ago, jimbo_7071 said:

Dealers whom some people consider a little brusque—like Richie Muchin or Dan Greenhalgh, let's say—may well be more honest.

I would definitely not buy a used car from this guy. :gossip: If he gives you the finger  you’re going to know it too…:nyah:

DDCE573B-80DE-4AD3-B488-C151083AC84A.jpeg.fd2e00bd53ba22979c26c7544fe327e1.jpeg

F72D79AD-B025-4C27-8547-52D22E9C84B4.thumb.jpeg.f8f8409ffd08a9e89e4b73677a9753ce.jpeg