• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Brittle vs Off white Pages
1 1

18 posts in this topic

I have a detective 68 CGC 3 but it has brittle pages Could anyone please tell me the price differential between a CGC 3 with brittle pages vs off white. For reference a CGC 3 has a listing of 2225 USD in ebay currently.Thanks

14 hours ago, subash said:

I have a detective 68 CGC 3 but it has brittle pages Could anyone please tell me the price differential between a CGC 3 with brittle pages vs off white. For reference a CGC 3 has a listing of 2225 USD in ebay currently.Thanks

I wouldn't value anything based a someone's asking price on eBay. I would recommend looking at actual sales. I've seen eBay dealer's list $50 books for $2K hoping that an uninformed buyer bites.

Many collectors try to steer clear of brittle pages, unless it's a very rare book.

I do think eBay invites many uniformed buyers who might not think to look at the PQ, so I wouldn't be surprised if it sold fairly well there, but ultimately I would expect a 20% to 40% price reduction.  

If you notice on the card Cat_Man shared the brittle pages are all chipped away and broken. That really becomes the problem.

If your selling and trying to set a price, be transparent about the page conditions. A 3.5 with OW to W sold at Heritage in January for $1560.  Prices have likely moved since January, but that's a better reference point than the one on eBay

Thank you for your comments.I am assuming at least a 30 percent drop.The pages are brittle but not copped or torn as they were in a bound collection .That's why it has an Apparent Restored Grade.

10 minutes ago, subash said:

Thank you for your comments.I am assuming at least a 30 percent drop.The pages are brittle but not copped or torn as they were in a bound collection .That's why it has an Apparent Restored Grade.

OK- if it's also restored,  the price point would be much lower to start. I would be curious to see pictures to see how it looks after being removed from a bound edition. 

It is too simplistic to assume a lower starting point from the get-go.  Folks above are forgetting that the technical grade of a book with brittle pages has already been discounted to reflect the page quality.  And this built-in discounting is often very apparent.  That is why a book that looks like a 5.0  or better could have a 3.0 or lower label.  And there are worn and/or damaged books that would grade at 2.0 or below even without the brittle pages, and for these the brittle pages make less of a price difference. 

So I'm assuming the OP's question is what FURTHER discount such a book would experience, beyond the discounted grade on the label, due to having brittle pages.  In other words, must a 3.0 with brittle pages sell at a 2.5 price or below?  This is a legit question because some potential buyers avoid brittle pages, just like some potential buyers avoid restored books, unless discounted.  A discount might be needed to move the book more quickly.  But in this situation, "slightly brittle" books fare better than "brittle" books.  And both slightly brittle and brittle pages may not necessarily appear brown or tan in color, particularly if the brittleness is relegated to only one edge or corner of a comic book (that is an optimal "brittle" situation and often a STEAL when discounted).  And some of these books, whether "slightly brittle" or "brittle," go for FMV as graded on the label under certain circumstances.  For example, some slabbed "brittle"-pages books have nice-looking covers.  If such a nice-looking book is also a unicorn or even just uncommon/expensive, it could fetch FMV, if not more, because the technical grade already took a hit.  I'm talking about books with Gerber 7 scarcity and above.  

All that said, even if we are talking about a unicorn GA grail, there could be a significant discount if the frailty/brittleness is evident due to missing pieces, extensive browning of pages, etc, brittleness throughout book -- not just corners or edges).   

Regular GA keys or minor keys with brittle pages should see some discount even if the book is nice-looking, depending on the patience of the buyer pool.  But I doubt a nice-looking, important GA book would be discounted more than 25%.  They are just too uncommon for that, particularly when coupled with how cover-centric many folks are today.  

If we are talking about common and typically more recent than GA books, brittle pages invariably presume a significantly lower starting point than off-white (i dunno about 50%, but significant nevertheless).  Just my 2c from observing/tracking many auctions, ebay, and even recollection of some sales on these boards.  

Edited by Pantodude

I guess slabbed brittle is graded differently than raw brittle, which according to Overstreet grading = 1.0 at best. .5 at worst.  I personally avoid brittle, as there's nothing I like worse than a pile of crumbles underneath a book on my reading stand, after going through the pages, or chips of them coming off.

Thanks for all of your comments.Personally I bought it for the cover and didnt think of the pages as I wasnt going to crack it and read it.

I do think it presents more beautifully than the book below which is a 3.5 --mainly due to its off-white pages. Seven years down the road I think I still made the right choice.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/274853102503?hash=item3ffe8583a7:g:Q4YAAOSwcddf48mA#viTabs_0

5 hours ago, subash said:

Thanks for all of your comments.Personally I bought it for the cover and didnt think of the pages as I wasnt going to crack it and read it.

I do think it presents more beautifully than the book below which is a 3.5 --mainly due to its off-white pages. Seven years down the road I think I still made the right choice.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/274853102503?hash=item3ffe8583a7:g:Q4YAAOSwcddf48mA#viTabs_0

:signofftopic:

Their opening bid is way more than that book is worth.

Maybe that's why it's got three hours to go and no bids.(shrug)

6 hours ago, subash said:

It's a beautiful looking copy and what's most important is that you enjoy it. 

I've bought a few restored books over the years because I've wanted really nice presenting covers over similarly priced low grade universals.

Trimming will hurt the value more than the Brittle pages. I think your probably 50% to 60% below an equivalent blue label. I also think FMV for a Blue label is closer to $1500-$1700 (going off the Heritage 3.5 sale), so my best guestimate would put yours around $700 or so. 

Others can feel free to correct if they feel differently. 

As Pantodude said....page quality and all notes are already factored-in to the CGC number-grade.

I actually have no idea if brittle pages means it's really brittle or if it's just the next bump-down from tan-to-offwhite.  I've never seen a label that says tan pages.