• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

CGC Video Game Grading?
1 1

162 posts in this topic

4 minutes ago, awakeintheashes said:

There was a tragedy at the beach yesterday.  My newest investment was ruined. 

Screen Shot 2021-07-08 at 9.13.48 PM.png

Edited by Buzzetta

2 minutes ago, Buzzetta said:

There was a tragedy at the beach yesterday.  My newest investment was ruined. 

Screen Shot 2021-07-08 at 9.13.48 PM.png

Well you are a wild and nautigy!

1 minute ago, Wolverinex said:

4.5 max

Left in a pail at the beach.  They are now headed toward Staten Island. 

One thing that’s interesting to me with video games and I’ll admit I know little about the market but seeing sealed graded video games be the gold standard seems very different than comic books which is CGC’s bread and butter. CGC isn’t one to grade a sealed comic, and if you send in one with a polybag on it you’ll soon find that out. So my question then is why is it okay to grade a video game sealed for CGC but not a copy of Ultimate Fallout 4 sealed? To me neither should really happen, because you have no idea what you’re really grading if it’s sealed. Just my 2 pennies

1 minute ago, wiparker824 said:

One thing that’s interesting to me with video games and I’ll admit I know little about the market but seeing sealed graded video games be the gold standard seems very different than comic books which is CGC’s bread and butter. CGC isn’t one to grade a sealed comic, and if you send in one with a polybag on it you’ll soon find that out. So my question then is why is it okay to grade a video game sealed for CGC but not a copy of Ultimate Fallout 4 sealed? To me neither should really happen, because you have no idea what you’re really grading if it’s sealed. Just my 2 pennies

The box and shrink wrap is graded 

7 hours ago, Kevin76 said:

Right I get it. But CGC’s stance on polybagged comic books is to to not grade the manufacture’s shrink wrap and to remove the book and grade the book. It just seems odd to me as it doesn’t really seem to be any different.

12 hours ago, edj-stuff said:

So they can't come close to handling the volume of their business now. And they are going to start taking in even MORE items....

The graders grading books won't be the ones grading games. One division won't affect the other. 

16 minutes ago, BlowUpTheMoon said:

The graders grading books won't be the ones grading games. One division won't affect the other. 

In terms of grading yeah, but does anyone know do they have a different warehouse and warehouse team for this stuff? Or do my books which already take 2 months to get checked in now have to sit in a pile with video games and cards all waiting to just get checked in, and then the same with actually shipping them out. Do they have a different team that finalizes/images and ships out video games from comic books or are they shared resources?

2 hours ago, wiparker824 said:

In terms of grading yeah, but does anyone know do they have a different warehouse and warehouse team for this stuff? Or do my books which already take 2 months to get checked in now have to sit in a pile with video games and cards all waiting to just get checked in, and then the same with actually shipping them out. Do they have a different team that finalizes/images and ships out video games from comic books or are they shared resources?

you can always call and ask

2 hours ago, wiparker824 said:
10 hours ago, Kevin76 said:

Right I get it. But CGC’s stance on polybagged comic books is to to not grade the manufacture’s shrink wrap and to remove the book and grade the book. It just seems odd to me as it doesn’t really seem to be any different.

What's true of one is not necessarily true of another. Different collectibles, different mindset and preferences. (shrug) When it comes to toys and video games, sealed/unopened stuff has always been sought after. It's no surprise to me that grading companies would take advantage of this by offering grading/slabbing services.

Another factor might be that bagged comics is a relatively new thing and not all that common so collectors haven't been searching for that elusive factory sealed copy of Hulk 181 because it never existed. Meanwhile, toys and video games have always come in sealed packages. 

1 minute ago, Jeffro. said:

What's true of one is not necessarily true of another. Different collectibles, different mindset and preferences. (shrug) When it comes to toys and video games, sealed/unopened stuff has always been sought after. It's no surprise to me that grading companies would take advantage of this by offering grading/slabbing services.

Another factor might be that bagged comics is a relatively new thing and not all that common so collectors haven't been searching for that elusive factory sealed copy of Hulk 181 because it never existed. Meanwhile, toys and video games have always come in sealed packages. 

That’s a fair point although I always thought the reasons CGC doesn’t grade a comic book in a polybag has more to do with the fact that you can’t actually examine defects within the book without opening it, or page color/quality and not because of the reasons you mentioned. And to that point you wouldn’t be able to verify the integrity of the contents inside a sealed box either to accurately grade them. But if the reason just comes down to video game collectors prefer grading the shrink wrap more than the contents then yeah I guess it makes sense - give the people what they want.

Damm ...cgc video game grading.....if i knew sooner i wouldnt have sent 3 to wata:ohnoez:.would be fun if they grade open box and cartrige too.wôuld be fun when complete but opened to have a grade on cardtrige , manual and box separately and a fourth grade for overall of first 3 on the slab:x

13 minutes ago, Namtak said:

Damm ...cgc video game grading.....if i knew sooner i wouldnt have sent 3 to wata:ohnoez:.would be fun if they grade open box and cartrige too.wôuld be fun when complete but opened to have a grade on cardtrige , manual and box separately and a fourth grade for overall of first 3 on the slab:x

I almost firstly thought of you subconsciously, because your the only one within ear shot of me that I know finds them and buys them!

:x Hope you get some comfort out of it, although Canada shipping is :flipbait:hard on the pocketbook...

3 hours ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

I almost firstly thought of you subconsciously, because your the only one within ear shot of me that I know finds them and buys them!

:x Hope you get some comfort out of it, although Canada shipping is :flipbait:hard on the pocketbook...

I mostly buy local,once its bought it can take months or years before i take the décision to slab it,patience is key,the 3 sealed games i send to wata a few month ago i had in my possession for at least 5 years lol same with cgc only this year that i chose it was time to slab,they were already marked on the comic top loader as send cgc lol i really mark them and put them aside i dont Rush tings up with shippping rate and price each month like some.then again im farther away from cgc than most of you(you are lucky)