• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

CGC Video Game Grading?
1 1

162 posts in this topic

16 hours ago, god503 said:

A mint graded Unboxed legend of Zelda just went for 800k.  

Unreal sale. Not even from the first run. This buys a legitimate mansion in many places.

image.thumb.png.b3027bc4a99ec3e83d72774be0b99186.png

Edited by october

23 hours ago, october said:

Unreal sale. Not even from the first run. This buys a legitimate mansion in many places.

image.thumb.png.b3027bc4a99ec3e83d72774be0b99186.png

In case anyone is still wondering why CGC is going to bother with the video game market after that sale.....

......new world record for a video game sale just happened on Heritage.

2078396589_RecordSale.thumb.jpg.0437a4a7243b78d3cae45281ed72ef69.jpg

This will be making headlines in the news, I think this also changes the gaming market and more people will "wake up" and take notice of games.  The people who collected sealed games for a long time are sitting on a fortune. 

1 hour ago, Kevin76 said:

The people who collected sealed games for a long time are sitting on a fortune. 

Absolutely. 

The $870,000 Zelda and $1,560,000 Super Mario belonged to the same seller.  

Obviously there are fees and taxes to worry about.....but just two of his games sold for almost $2.5 million.

4 hours ago, Kevin76 said:

This will be making headlines in the news, I think this also changes the gaming market and more people will "wake up" and take notice of games.  The people who collected sealed games for a long time are sitting on a fortune. 

That already happened when that copy of Super Mario Bros was purchased by Heritage for over 100k in 2019. All of this is a result of that becoming national news. 

I dabbled in sealed video game collecting a year ago. Sold each one for about 2-5x this past winter. It is crazy the demand for sealed games. People are willing to buy them at high prices because they think they will make a lot by getting them graded. 

Edited by justin

2 hours ago, darkstar said:

That already happened when that copy of Super Mario Bros was purchased by Heritage for over 100k in 2019. All of this is a result of that becoming national news. 

So 2.5 years ago a 100k sale was big news, and now there were 15 sales over 100k in just this one auction, with the one seven figure and one nearly seven figure, as discussed previously. 

The first game auction in early 2019 I think they netted 500k tops.    Might have been less.   8.5m for the sale this weekend. 

Edited by Bronty

33 minutes ago, Bronty said:

So 2.5 years ago a 100k sale was big news, and now there were 15 sales over 100k in just this one auction, with the one seven figure and one nearly seven figure, as discussed previously. 

The first game auction in early 2019 I think they netted 500k tops.    Might have been less.   8.5m for the sale this weekend. 

Thats some legit cheddar

Patrick

In like 1997 my uncle found a bunch of unopened atari 2600 games in a electronics store he bought and was cleaning out and he gave them all to me. I kept the ones I wanted and opened them and played them and gave the rest away to people. Maybe I shouldn't of done that, I could be a millionaire now possibly lol

33 minutes ago, catman76 said:

In like 1997 my uncle found a bunch of unopened atari 2600 games in a electronics store he bought and was cleaning out and he gave them all to me. I kept the ones I wanted and opened them and played them and gave the rest away to people. Maybe I shouldn't of done that, I could be a millionaire now possibly lol

You would think.....but the market for Atari 2600 games isn't nearly as strong as it is for many other systems.  I don't collect them, so I'm not sure if the market is glutted with them (there still seems to be a lot of unopened cases of them floating around) or if the demand just isn't there for them.....or possibly other reasons.

With Heritage at least.....only one Wata graded Atari 2600 game has approached the $20k mark.....a Mario Brothers in 9.2 grade sold for $19,800.....and I think that's just because it was a Mario game and it's a cross-collectible due to that fact.  Every other Wata graded Atari 2600 game has sold in the $10k or less range regardless of how high the grade was......and many sell for a lot less.

Out of 1,366 Wata graded Atari 2600 games showing as currently sold on the Heritage website.......only 35 of them have surpassed the $4k mark. 

Certainly not chump change......but also not "picking out a mansion and yacht" kind of money. lol

49 minutes ago, Domo Arigato said:

Certainly not chump change......but also not "picking out a mansion and yacht" kind of money. lol

Depends on how big of a Dinghy you are wanting.. 

This is what kind of Yacht my budget can afford.  myanmar_trash_boat.thumb.jpg.0447e920bd9e774548b6ebc90d442fba.jpgboat-4.jpg.bb4b06eae674f95cc0992c37afdd15a8.jpg

6 minutes ago, onlyweaknesskryptonite said:

Depends on how big of a Dinghy you are wanting.. 

This is what kind of Yacht my budget can afford.  myanmar_trash_boat.thumb.jpg.0447e920bd9e774548b6ebc90d442fba.jpgboat-4.jpg.bb4b06eae674f95cc0992c37afdd15a8.jpg

That's what she said

and whole other page like that of 100-150k results too

contra 9.8 150k

SMB oval 9.6 144k

FF7 misprint 9.8 144k

smash bros 9.4 144k

tomb raider 9.4 144k

pokemon red 9.4 132k

smb 3 9.4 left   120k

Edited by Bronty

On 7/8/2021 at 5:53 PM, Terry_JSA said:

I never understood the purpose of getting video games graded. 

You never will, as the art is in the cartridge/disc, which requires a system to read it.

Collecting graded video games is like a blind man collecting visual art, or a deaf man collecting vinyl.