• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My mistake but………
2 2

56 posts in this topic

3 hours ago, Dr. Dank said:

I don't agree. The same lackadaisical approach to QC would still be there.  They aren't making mistakes because they're busy, they're doing it because they genuinely don't care

If you have to QC a million things a year or every two years hundreds if not 1000's of mistakes will be made even if you have a high degree of success.

That doesn't constitute a failure percentage wise.

What percentage of 1MIL items is considered a QC failure?

42 minutes ago, VintageComics said:

If you have to QC a million things a year or every two years hundreds if not 1000's of mistakes will be made even if you have a high degree of success.

Seriously? Any item that has an error.

You're a car guy. You buy a car and it doesn't start. You going to nitpick the company that built the starter is to blame, or you talking to the dealership to fix it. 

They tell you it was a QC problem with the starter builder. What do you care what percentage of starters are not bench tested properly?

A QC error is a QC error. It's unacceptable 

1 minute ago, Dr. Dank said:

You're a car guy. You buy a car and it doesn't start. You going to nitpick the company that built the starter is to blame, or you talking to the dealership to fix it. 

They tell you it was a QC problem with the starter builder. What do you care what percentage of starters are not bench tested properly?

Name one company that has zero quality control problems. Even NASA and brain surgeons have them.

Car companies definitely have them. That's what warranty is for.

It wasn't a discussion about whether mistakes are acceptable or not. Mistakes are not acceptable. That's what warranty is for.

It's a discussion about how much QC control errors are expected and every industry has it.

There's no perfection to be found among the human race. If you find any, LMK.

2 minutes ago, VintageComics said:

Name one company that has zero quality control problems. Even NASA and brain surgeons have them.

Car companies definitely have them. That's what warranty is for.

It wasn't a discussion about whether mistakes are acceptable or not. Mistakes are not acceptable. That's what warranty is for.

It's a discussion about how much QC control errors are expected and every industry has it.

There's no perfection to be found among the human race. If you find any, LMK.

I get that, but because of this exact  view you're sharing is why I state they aren't making mistakes because they're busy, it's because they might see a mistake and be like, meh, not my department. 

This happens all the time, and while people just shrug their shoulders and accept it, you won't ever get a higher quality.

At least the Japanese have some sort of integrity. Look at their transit system for your example of nearly perfect QC 

12 minutes ago, VintageComics said:

Name one company that has zero quality control problems.

Kav Industries.

1 hour ago, VintageComics said:

I feel a car analogy coming.....:popcorn:

30 minutes ago, Dr. Dank said:

At least the Japanese have some sort of integrity. Look at their transit system for your example of nearly perfect QC 

You keep trying to judge intent without any proof which isn't really a part of the discussion or possible to discuss reasonably. I'm out.

1 minute ago, THE_BEYONDER said:

I feel a car analogy coming.....:popcorn:

Or Man Thing reference. 

Even in our industry, which is insanely regulated, failure occurs.  Many companies use statistical charts to show the acceptable rates of failure per 1000/100,000/1ML parts or product.  The number of acceptable errors slightly increase as the number of parts/products does.  Granted, this typically measured based on the same homogenous group of product/parts.  Which  comics being graded are clearly not in that bucket.  But the expectation is always for identification of root cause and instituting meaningful corrective action to mitigate future occurrences.

Patrick

45 minutes ago, Dr. Dank said:

at some point in the past I learned this..maybe it is even true. Japanese production QA permits 2 standard deviation units and no more while American production permits three standard deviations.

With regards to CGC QC, near 100% should be attainable. It is not production, it is a check after production. Yes people make data entry mistakes, but with overlap and multiple checks most mistakes are eliminated. If there are not catching most every mistake the QC process is either broken or not expected to function at all times (ie they don't care and accept it). 

1 minute ago, followtheleader said:

Or Man Thing reference. 

Even in our industry, which is insanely regulated, failure occurs.  Many companies use statistical charts to show the acceptable rates of failure per 1000/100,000/1ML parts or product.  The number of acceptable errors slightly increase as the number of parts/products does.  Granted, this typically measured based on the same homogenous group of product/parts.  Which  comics being graded are clearly not in that bucket.  But the expectation is always for identification of root cause and instituting meaningful corrective action to mitigate future occurrences.

Patrick

The problem with trying to make QC comparisons, is that nothing compares.   The product that CGC manufactures is supposed to protect the comic it encases. Once slabbed, the comic is supposed to be safe from damage.

For the number on the label to have any integrity at all, encapsulation needs to preserve the given grade.

If it was just a bunch of label errors (shrug)

But the QC department is now allowing books to get mangled by failing to seal the inner wells properly.  

These are fragile collectibles.   The threshold for acceptable QC fails, from a company that markets encapsulation as a way to protect your precious books.... should be very small.

34 minutes ago, VintageComics said:

You keep trying to judge intent without any proof which isn't really a part of the discussion or possible to discuss reasonably. I'm out.

You PM me with covid stuff I don't care about and I've told you I intensely dislike you, but you keep harassing me instead of avoiding me, and have asked I don't engage you.

Why you persist is beyond me, I didn't ask to engage you, and frankly I don't want to.

Ask me some more if I'm MetalPSI. Beginning to think the guy was driven off the boards by behavior like this

1 minute ago, Dr. Dank said:

You PM me with covid stuff I don't care about and I've told you I intensely dislike you, but you keep harassing me instead of avoiding me, and have asked I don't engage you.

Why you persist is beyond me, I didn't ask to engage you, and frankly I don't want to.

Ask me some more if I'm MetalPSI. Beginning to think the guy was driven off the boards by behavior like this

Eh, OK. I was just trying to share information or have polite conversation ( :screwy: ) but now that I know you 'intensely dislike me' (first I'm hearing about it) I'll avoid you like the plague.

Now I KNOW you're not MetalPSI  lol