• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Fear the 1099 or Please Pay me F&F
1 1

145 posts in this topic

Several conversations at my local shop and from a few dealers lately have centered on the 1099. 
I know several are panicked on FB and IG now as it looks like in the very near future everyone 
is going to get one or at least significantly more then the normal 20k/200 transaction limit from the 
past. 

I have noticed more sellers asking for F&F lately and I think this is the case as well. As a buyer I never
send F&F and I would recommend to many of you not to either because it nullifies your buyer protection
under paypal if you didn't know it. People fall prey to this as a scam a lot as well. Its also an attempt to get
out of paying taxes lets be honest about it at least.

Now the bright side of all of this that have been doing 1099 for while. Our 
competition is going to get smaller which means more customers. I think next year selling is going to be
great because of this. 

Agree/Disagree?

Edited by fastballspecial

With the market as crazy as it is I think you'll have more people selling local for cash. At least the ones worried about the 1099. In this market you could be selling books in the middle of a hurricane and there will still be buyers :) They won't have that hard of a time selling locally for cash even if they sell it for a little less then what it goes for on E-Bay they are still making more money than they would if they sold it online. No Ebay fees, shipping or Paypal fees. So unless they live in an area not close to a mid size or major city they aren't going to stop they are just going to change their tactics. To be honest as a collector I wish more people were already doing this. There are some that have been doing this already. You'll see them on Craigslist with links to their E-Bay page offering a 10%-20% discount if bought locally. Of course I am talking about books priced below say 3k. If they were selling books of higher value already then they should already be used to 1099's.

I think people who say people are whining about not wanting to pay taxes on profits made on buying and selling comic's is over simplified.  I can't speak for us all but I started collecting again as a hobby and not as an investment.  If I am casually buying and selling books (as a hobby) it's a major nuisance trying to figure out what I paid for a book. I think most Collectors are not keeping records of purchase price.  I have a ball park figure in my head but that's about it.  My biggest complaint about having to pay taxes on comic sales (as a collector) is on my original collection of books I bought as a CHILD!!! I find it insane that if I sell my ASM 300 that I bought for $1.00 that I have to pay 28% taxes on the projected profit of $2999 (I have a 9.6 SS and value it around 3K for simplicity here).  I've had that in storage for years and carried that around with me for 32-33 years. I guess I can write off from the profit the storage and transportation of the book for all those years?xD

Buying and selling stocks is not a fair comparison to comic sales for a collector.  Stocks's are highly regulated and you know what you are getting into when you start trading stocks.  Plus it's all automated, if want to go that route like I do.  I just import my 1099 from TD Ameritrade into Turbo tax and I'm all done.

A better example is what I am doing now.  I'm selling a big chunk of my collection through an auction house to help with a down payment of a house.  For tax purposes I will be guesstimating the purchase price, adding 9% sales tax and adding $15 for shipping per book to get a price of what I paid for each book.  It's the best I can do.  The one thing I am unsure of is as of now is, you don't had have to declare anything from an auction house unless you made 20K profit or 20K of sales? Or am I totally wrong on both counts?

17 minutes ago, TheOldCollector said:

40% Seriously? How did 40% of your sells earnings go to taxes?

The 2020 top tax bracket was 37%. If you were already in that bracket through other income, and your comic income was extra, you owed 37% on the profits...unless you were set up as a business.

Edited by october

I'm not adverse to paying taxes. My biggest concern is how to prove the price that I paid for a book to the IRS.

The first time I ever spent a substantial amount of money on a book was in May, 1980. I had just graduated from college, and I used the graduation money I received to purchase a copy of Amazing Spider-Man #1 for $300. I paid the seller $300 in cash, face to face, so I didn't get a receipt. But even if I had gotten a receipt, I would never had thought that I would need to hold onto that receipt for 40+ years. Honestly, can anyone of you say that you have kept a receipt from 1980?

I have done a better job of keeping track of the prices I have paid recently, as I have been using a feature in GPAnalysis that lets you record the certification number of a book and the amount you paid for the book.

I can't speak for anyone else, but the one thing that bothers me the most about the IRS is the fact that you are considered guilty until you can prove your innocence. A nutjob can go into a business or school and shoot a dozen people, but s/he is considered innocent until proven guilty.

Edited by Math Teacher

1 minute ago, Math Teacher said:

According to investopedia.com, the tax rate for selling collectibles held for more than a year is 28%.

https://www.investopedia.com/articles/personal-finance/061715/how-are-collectibles-taxed.asp

Actually, it is only 28% if you are already in a tax bracket that is higher than 28%. If you are in a tax bracket lower than 28%, then the tax rate for your collectible sale will be in your lower tax bracket rate (for example, 15% rate). So you pay the lower of 28% or your marginal ordinary income tax rate.

23 minutes ago, Math Teacher said:

I'm not adverse to paying taxes. My biggest concern is how to prove the price that I paid for a book to the IRS.

Not only should the buyer hold onto any receipts, cancelled check etc, but the seller should remember that if the IRS audits a buyer and he shows them proof of purchase, they may decide to check if the seller declared the proceeds,(receipts could  show the sellers name, email addr etc)

35 minutes ago, Math Teacher said:

According to investopedia.com, the tax rate for selling collectibles held for more than a year is 28%.

https://www.investopedia.com/articles/personal-finance/061715/how-are-collectibles-taxed.asp

I would check with my accountant since I don't want to have to be a expert in taxes.  If you want confusing start reading IRS publications.