• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Who Are Your Top Five Favourite Artists(Any And All Eras)?
1 1

113 posts in this topic

Just for funsies as there's been a lot of serious and bad stuff on here lately, here's one of the most basic questions to ask comic fans: who are your top 5 favourite comic artists over the years? 

Here's mine, in no particular order, with the exception of first place. Lee is absolutely my favourite. Joe Mad probably would have that spot, but it's hard when you don't produce anything and screw over your fans, so that drops him down a bit for me.

Anyway, post your lists, and have fun! 

Mecha's list-

Jim Lee

Joe Madureira

Alan Davis

Jack Kirby

Dale Eaglesham

46 minutes ago, Mecha_Fantastic said:

Just for funsies as there's been a lot of serious and bad stuff on here lately, here's one of the most basic questions to ask comic fans: who are your top 5 favourite comic artists over the years? 

Here's mine, in no particular order, with the exception of first place. Lee is absolutely my favourite. Joe Mad probably would have that spot, but it's hard when you don't produce anything and screw over your fans, so that drops him down a bit for me.

Anyway, post your lists, and have fun! 

Mecha's list-

Jim Lee

Joe Madureira

Alan Davis

Jack Kirby

Dale Eaglesham

Eaglesham is awsome i have at least 4 artpage of him

Jack Kirby

Will Eisner

Richard Corben

Jean Giraud / Moebius

John Byrne 

All artists I’ve never tired of since starting collecting in the 70s, right up until present day.

Edited by Ken Aldred

13 minutes ago, Bob Loblaw III said:

Ugh. Worst X-Men artist ever :sick:

And that's the point, to generate friendly discussion on the pros and cons of particular artist's work. I was a young teenager at just the right time for his manga take to hit hard, and show a fantastic fusion of Japanese and American styles and that it could be done, and well. To me he's still the premiere example of this fusion style, followed closely by Jeff Matsuda. 

Let's also not forget he was drawing Uncanny when he was just 16.no pressure or anything there! 

4 minutes ago, Amazeron said:

Love Curt Swan’s Superman work. Great picks!

With the right inker, Swan was unbeatable.  No one one could draw natural poses or accurate body mechanics like him.  He never skimped on backgrounds.  

I'd also add to @Bob Loblaw III that generally, someone's choices say a lot about them. Mine undoubtedly say I was a 90's kid. No shame in that, you got me. It does it for all of us. Of course we have nostalgia for what we liked them, and tbf to those artists, most of them are leaps ahead of where they were when we first encountered them.

My interesting entry would be Kirby. Why is he there? Just a default entry added in order to fit in? Yeah, that's probably it. Nope. When I was a little kid I was, reading-wise, grades ahead of all the other kids at school. There were whole sections I wasn't even allowed in. But for some reason my small town's library did have Marvel Masterworks, a lot of them and regularly. Some were kept as they were, but most were custom bound into 3 volume custom harcovers. They were essentially making their own omnibus'. They were mostly Fantastic Four, Spider-Man, and later, some X-Men (the New team before the 05 for some reason) I'd keep renting the FF ones and pour over the art and the dialogue, and just how it all gelled together so well (though not that deep in my head back then). I dropped out of borrowing them after they told me they wouldn't be getting anything new anymore, and the older books they had wrre being reassigned to a much bigger library.

Then a year or two later we went to a small city nearby one day because all the women in the family wanted to go clothes-shopping, and I was the only guy, so I wandered around, doing kid stuff. Then I found it. A comics shop. They have shops that do that?! And they were selling issues ahead of the ones I was buying at the newsagents. That seemed shady to me, but I wanted to find out what happened with my current storyline in FF, but I was terrified of going to jail for buying a comic there. They also had volumes of Masterworks. Fantastic Four volume 2, collecting issues 11-20, or an X-Men one collecting X-Men 101, where Jean becomes Phoenix. 

I could pick one for birthday present, but only one. I didn't know much about the X-Men (this was before the cartoon) but I knew how much I loved rereading those early FF stories, so that's what I went with. I've still got it to this day, with my mother's Happy Birthday inscription in one of the blank frontispieces. Priceless treasure, thanks to Stan and Jack. 

I can't imagine that I would pick the same list of just five if I was asked this on a different day. But off the top of my head, today, presented alphabetically:

• Charles Burns
  • Jack Kirby
  • Alex Ross
  • Fiona Staples
  • Charles Vess

I tried to intentionally provide a broad range of artists. Did it feel dirty leaving Ditko out? Yup. But I picked Kirby over Ditko for his era and style. And now I'm second guessing this list, because I ruled out a bunch of artists for relatively limited comic book portfolios, but snuck Vess on here when he doesn't really have that deep a run either. Ah, well, is what it is.