• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Who Are Your Top Five Favourite Artists(Any And All Eras)?
1 1

113 posts in this topic

5 minutes ago, Ken Aldred said:

Golden or Silver Age war comic artist ?

So obscure I’ve never heard of him.

I think they're joking about the NFL player. 

2 minutes ago, Mecha_Fantastic said:

I think they're joking about the NFL player. 

Ah, I see.

Being British I’m an easy target.  Clueless about that.

John Byrne

Jim Lee

Neal Adams

David Finch

Barry W. Smith

Edited by s-man

I agree with many of these choices here already… But in terms of artistry, I have to add the name Joe Sinnott to this list. He was brilliant on everything he touched.  Elevated everything he touched. Has to be on a list somewhere…

I'm hard for examples 

But possibly its jus open to interpretation and changing from time to time

Wrightson

Jim Lee 

Bagley

Kambul (Campbell)

And

I'm stuck for a fifth

So I'll say with a 5th of Jack (Kirby) :tink:

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

I am surprised at a few of the choices. No judgement, just surprised. No names though. Like I have criticized Eisner as not having a seminal work but I get his name being on many many lists. He was a giant and he had IT. To me there needs to be a WOW factor...it can be story related (Perez Crisis cover) or the WOW can be in the artistry itself. But I myself have never been WOW'ed by some of the names mentioned. You can be WOW'ed by technique such as simplicity of form as some of the artists named do so well but it isn't the only thing they do so well, so I get those even if they are not my pick. But some of the names seem more...sentimental, perhaps...than based on merit. (I said SEEM, I can't know for sure.)

I do like looking at people's picks and seeing if they are all in the same "vein" or if they vary widely. Some you can see what the person like (okay, this person likes realism...this person likes cartoony forms, this one likes abstraction and pushed anatomy...here's someone with varied likes, etc.)

7 minutes ago, Bird said:

I am surprised at a few of the choices. No judgement, just surprised. No names though. Like I have criticized Eisner as not having a seminal work but I get his name being on many many lists. He was a giant and he had IT. To me there needs to be a WOW factor...it can be story related (Perez Crisis cover) or the WOW can be in the artistry itself. But I myself have never been WOW'ed by some of the names mentioned. You can be WOW'ed by technique such as simplicity of form as some of the artists named do so well but it isn't the only thing they do so well, so I get those even if they are not my pick. But some of the names seem more...sentimental, perhaps...than based on merit. (I said SEEM, I can't know for sure.)

I do like looking at people's picks and seeing if they are all in the same "vein" or if they vary widely. Some you can see what the person like (okay, this person likes realism...this person likes cartoony forms, this one likes abstraction and pushed anatomy...here's someone with varied likes, etc.)

Man lol

That's deep!

I basically thought of artists instead of writers, and pulled from memory what interested me, haven't read a lot of what I did pick, but I liked the ones I have  (thumbsu

Still life gets in the vein, of where I was and what I was doing when I experienced them :)

I didmt take into account DC or marvel or a lot of other factors people mentioned

Just time, place, and 1st impression haha

54 minutes ago, Bird said:

You are questioning why Eisner is on people's top 5 list?  Brother, I haven't the time or energy to get into it with you.  :roflmao:

49 minutes ago, jjonahjameson11 said:

You are questioning why Eisner is on people's top 5 list?  Brother, I haven't the time or energy to get into it with you.  :roflmao:

read it again

maybe a third time? 

doh!

1 hour ago, Bird said:

but I get his name being on many many lists. He was a giant and he had IT.

51 minutes ago, jjonahjameson11 said:

You are questioning why Eisner is on people's top 5 list?  

(shrug)

1 minute ago, jjonahjameson11 said:

I got it the first time, thanks

I don't think you did as I never questioned why Eisner is on any lists. I explicitly said I get him being there. Just because he isn't on my list I get it. But not some of the other names.

JJJ? This is cub reporting level!