• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Comics Coming Back with New Defects?
2 2

116 posts in this topic

21 hours ago, Heronext said:

Frankly CGC should image all books upon receipt, before grading.  It should be the first step in their process after opening the boxes.

I think this is quite reasonable, considering the nature of the material being evaluated.  CGC might say their pre-screening service ($$) accomplishes this.  I've never used it: for those who have, does one receive a scan of the book prior to grading/CGC returning the book (if it does not meet the grade one hoped for)?

One needs to be quite confident of their LCS's packing routines if they are shipping their books through them. It's been said a few times in this thread already: SCAN PRIOR TO SENDING. I do not send many books for grading (perhaps 5-10 books 2 or 3 times a year), but my next shipment (which I do myself) will be pre-scanned by me in high resolution before sending off to Sarasota. Wondering if one could upload the scans to your online order as further proof of the condition of the book(s) en route to CGC?

An update.

My LCS owner has been communicating with CGC.

CGC said they DO NOT accept damaged boxes; they send them back to sender.  So the box was not, at least noticeably, damaged on the trip to CGC.  This lends weight to the comics being damaged AT CGC.

Before anything however, they said they first need to investigate it.

20 hours ago, Buzz Cola said:

Best reason to get yourself a membership and send them in yourself. I've heard plenty of stories about people who assumed their LCS knew what they were doing.

Yes,  I have a membership and just send in the books myself.  

5 hours ago, TheBook said:

This same issue has been brought up by Instagram member: “TheManBehindTheRedHood”

Check his posts from May 5th 2021.

Exact same problem.

I took screenshots of one of the posts for everyone to see.

There are a few more that detail his situation.

Judge for yourself but I have over 10k worth of books at CGC right now and I’m scared to death that my books will suffer the same fate.

My prayers go out to the original poster & others who fall prey to the mishandling of their books.

A9BEDFEC-36FD-4FEB-998A-A66DA5B1448B.png

Blackstone!

59 minutes ago, Tafkap said:

An update.

My LCS owner has been communicating with CGC.

CGC said they DO NOT accept damaged boxes; they send them back to sender.  So the box was not, at least noticeably, damaged on the trip to CGC.  This lends weight to the comics being damaged AT CGC.

Before anything however, they said they first need to investigate it.

actually it lends no additional weight to that theory

a package can arrive at CGC showing no signs of exterior damage .... that doesn't mean the interior contents were packaged properly to prevent shifting and damage during transit or arrival at their destination

13 minutes ago, BigLeagueCHEW said:

And they were 9.8s too. Still up in the air on a reply :facepalm:

Since they came back 9.8 with crushed corners, we can make certain assumptions that they did not arrive damaged but were damaged after grading.

Update:

My LCS owner informed me the second batch of my comics just arrived from CGC - with similar defects.

Now CGC wants "before" photos of which I have none.

It'll be telling if the word of LCS holds any weight; he does send quite a bit to them it seems.

If not I'll call CGC myself and beg.

One way or the other I'm going to have to get them all pressed and regraded.

11 minutes ago, Tafkap said:

Update:

My LCS owner informed me the second batch of my comics just arrived from CGC - with similar defects.

Now CGC wants "before" photos of which I have none.

It'll be telling if the word of LCS holds any weight; he does send quite a bit to them it seems.

If not I'll call CGC myself and beg.

One way or the other I'm going to have to get them all pressed and regraded.

If they came back high grade with that crunch.....

Then it happened after slabbing 

4 hours ago, kav said:

Since they came back 9.8 with crushed corners, we can make certain assumptions that they did not arrive damaged but were damaged after grading.

5 minutes ago, kav said:

They cant just do what they want!

I suppose 

It pains me that it happened, and now it appears the LCS is liable passing the buck.

3 minutes ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

If they came back high grade with that crunch.....

Then it happened after slabbing 

No.  These were graded with the crunch; these were all 9.8 candidates to begin with; he told me he noticed the same defect on a 9.4 and 9.6

4 minutes ago, Tafkap said:

No.  These were graded with the crunch; these were all 9.8 candidates to begin with; he told me he noticed the same defect on a 9.4 and 9.6

I still dont believe they'd have got 9.4 and definitely not 9.6. They should be 7.5 with the crunch you showed

1 hour ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

I still dont believe they'd have got 9.4 and definitely not 9.6. They should be 7.5 with the crunch you showed

There are varying degrees of damage.  Some of the damage is pretty small; but still there.  

On 7/12/2021 at 12:38 PM, joeypost said:

Always double or triple board. Even if dropped it will minimize damage considerably. 

Without a doubt MUST DO!  And also use Oversized Bags/Board when shipping (i.e for Modern Books - Use Silver Age bags/boards)

On a side note, Ive been receiving a TON of rejects recently, all with similar issues (finger bends, non-color break cover indents) and also been receiving books back with ONLY one backing board.   Clearly, CGC does not care about people's books like they used it.   $$$ is only on their mind