• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How do you know?
1 1

15 posts in this topic

Hello everyone, I new to the forum and Have a stupid question. Is it the sellers responsibility to do the research to see if someone that has won a bid is on the Hall of shame or probation List? It seems to be a lot of names to check through. Is there a short cut? Thank you in advance. 

You're still allowed to sell or buy from those individuals, the Probation List simply exists as a strong warning against it. Some of those folks can create new ID's and sneak past the check points. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

7 minutes ago, skypinkblu said:
On 7/13/2021 at 1:44 PM, JollyComics said:

I have noticed more books were sold by anonymous buyer(s) via PM in last few weeks. Even the sellers knew those members who are on the probation and hall of shame.

Do the sellers break the rules?

I sold a few books to an anonymous buyer last week. They have not been on the probation list. I guess they just like to be private, I never ask.

So it's not always probation people buying. 

This is something that had never occurred to me, however surely a seller has the right to sell to whoever they want?

The PL and the HOS I've always thought are there in an advisory capacity only, ergo it is 'seller beware' but not forbidden, because it's a matter of choice surely?

1 hour ago, G G ® ™ said:

This is something that had never occurred to me, however surely a seller has the right to sell to whoever they want?

The PL and the HOS I've always thought are there in an advisory capacity only, ergo it is 'seller beware' but not forbidden, because it's a matter of choice surely?

Only once. I got a PM from the buyer who is on the list. I told him about it then he didn't reply me ever since.

Just a thought.

Edited by JollyComics

On 7/12/2021 at 6:50 AM, Icctrombone said:

Hello everyone, I new to the forum and Have a stupid question. Is it the sellers responsibility to do the research to see if someone that has won a bid is on the Hall of shame or probation List? It seems to be a lot of names to check through. Is there a short cut? Thank you in advance. 

The probation list is right there in alphabetical order and the Hall of Shame list is not that long.  It takes 30 seconds to search it.  

Buyers/sellers are not necessarily going to volunteer that they're deadbeats so yeah, it's your responsibility either way.

Transacting here and anywhere is the same as it is in boxing - "protect yourself at all times".

Edited by pemart1966

On 7/13/2021 at 8:44 AM, JollyComics said:

I have noticed more books were sold by anonymous buyer(s) via PM in last few weeks. Even the sellers knew those members who are on the probation and hall of shame.

Do the sellers break the rules?

That sounds like folks faking reputational gains to eventually rip off someone else.

A person can just register two accounts, fake a bunch of sales between them and then use the recommendations.

This board really can't function the way it used to function if it continues to allow automated account generation and activity. CGC could have the only bot-proof forum...

On 9/7/2021 at 5:27 PM, Sam T said:

That sounds like folks faking reputational gains to eventually rip off someone else.

A person can just register two accounts, fake a bunch of sales between them and then use the recommendations.

This board really can't function the way it used to function if it continues to allow automated account generation and activity. CGC could have the only bot-proof forum...

eBay can allow them to do that but I don't think here can allow a boardie to create two different accounts.  The new boardies are checked before entering the chat board. You can contact Mods about this.

On 9/7/2021 at 9:21 PM, JollyComics said:

The new boardies are checked before entering the chat board.

Sorry but that's not really technically feasible. VPNs exist.

I've been a collector my whole life. But I've also been a techie. It seems like this community doesn't understand how tech actually works and just sorta repeats marketing stuff. Seriously, look at the forums. Membership and post counts are growing but post quality is dropping and everyone just says "yaaaa got too popular so the dummies moved in". Nope those are fake accounts. They invade a community and if people don't actually address it, they take it over.