• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Does CGC really give priority by tiers? Doesn't look that way to me.
2 2

235 posts in this topic

1 minute ago, sfcityduck said:

I don't disagree with some of your practical points, and of course ensuring quality training would be paramount.  But, CGC is on a hiring binge, so they must think they can PROPERLY train people to adhere to their house standards.  I assume they are right, as that happens in many industries.  

They are always trying to hire graders 24/7 for the past 10 years. 

I am just now at a loss for words, I am telling you its very difficult to get the quality of graders you would want to be grading your books. 

Your logical thinking (which I understand) is CGC should be able to go out find people that have average to novice skill level grading abilities eager to work for CGC as a grader and CGC should be able to train them to grade anything that comes on their desk.  Right?

Telling you is not that easy.  Modern entry level graders yes, vintage very difficult. 

21 minutes ago, NewWorldOrder said:

Grading is not subjective.  Only people that can't grade say that. 

The same grader does not grade soft one day and then harder the next.  Grading styles dont change.  If by chance you got the same grader forever for all your submissions and they are softer as you say then expect grades that are soft for the rest of your life and vice versa.  Now if your point is about everyone should be on the same page that we agree on, which I have been critical of CGC for that.  No one grader should differ out side of what CGC deems acceptable for all grading levels.  One guys 9.6 shouldn't be another's 9.4.  That we can agree on.  

Ehh... I think that certain defects might be weighed with a slight bit more gravity than others by certain graders.   So while you might be hard on a book with a few defects on one day, you would be soft on a different book the next because they had different defects.   Grading in of itself is slightly subjective and there will always be a slight margin of wiggle room especially in collectables when you get to that 5.0-8.0 range where each grade could be +/- .5

5 minutes ago, Buzzetta said:

Ehh... I think that certain defects might be weighed with a slight bit more gravity than others by certain graders.   So while you might be hard on a book with a few defects on one day, you would be soft on a different book the next because they had different defects.   Grading in of itself is slightly subjective and there will always be a slight margin of wiggle room especially in collectables when you get to that 5.0-8.0 range where each grade could be +/- .5

Yes I agree with you, my point is when it comes to a grading company no one should weigh in differnetly when it comes to certain defects.

Example.  Same book we both look at and grade.

nWo hates foxing I give the book a 8.0

Buzzetta doesn't like foxing but isnt as harsh as me and you give the book a 9.0

That should not happen. Grading company standards should be firm with all graders across the board.  My biased opinion should not matter.   See what I am saying?

Edited by NewWorldOrder

3 minutes ago, Lazyboy said:

:facepalm: You've got to be kidding.

No, I'm not.  They state:

We understand that some of you are disappointed that your turnaround time is longer than expected. Our posted turnaround times are our best estimates, but a variety of factors — including many outside of our control — can impact the actual turnaround time. We are working on a first-in, first-out basis with higher grading tiers prioritized.

Just now, NewWorldOrder said:

Yes I agree with you, my point is when it comes to a grading company no one should weigh in differnetly when it comes to certain defects.

Buzzetta doesn't like foxing but isnt as harsh and me and give the book a 9.0

That should not happen. Grading company standards should be firm with across the board.  My biased opinion should not matter.   See what I am saying?

I gotcha... 

But I don't think that is unavoidable to be honest.  It's the human degree of error that you are dealing with. 

I gotcha... 

But I don't think that is unavoidable to be honest.  It's the human degree of error that you are dealing with. 

I love how you have Black Stone as your new avatar lol

Correct, but my example is something you can streamline.  

Listen, my 9.6 could be someones else's 9.8.  I get it, but generally speaking I think grading is not as subjective as some of the old guard seems to thing it is.  I mean I could grade a X-men 1 in a CGC label 3.0 after I crack it and sell it raw as a 9.8 right?  It's just my opinion haha.  Seriously though just saying IMO grading now is more objective than subjective. :foryou:

Edited by NewWorldOrder

2 minutes ago, NewWorldOrder said:

Buzzetta doesn't like foxing but isnt as harsh and me and give the book a 9.0

That should not happen. Grading company standards should be firm with across the board.  My biased opinion should not matter.   See what I am saying?

I agree with you that a grading company should strive to be consistent (although they will fail on occassion).  That is what they are selling.  But that a grading company should strive to be consistent with its own grading standards does not mean that grading is objective, especially when there are other grading companies and dealers and collectors etc. who adhere to different standards.  As I noted above, no one has sent grading standards down from the heavens on stone tablets.  Heck, CGC hasn't even published a comprehensive and detailed stone tablet.  I hope that they have an internal publication they use for training.  I suspect that CGC might find itself getting some management consultation under the new ownership that will help iron out some of the internal problems that CGC has been having in keeping up with demand.

6 minutes ago, Lazyboy said:

So you really don't understand how queues work?

I do understand how queues work.  CGC has explained it clearly.  The question is whether the queues are working they way they have explained or whether a fixable problem has caused them to become broken.  The answer is pretty obvious when you match up what CGC has said about how they should work with what CGC says about how they actually are working.  Standard is now slower than Modern fast track, for example, despite being twice the price.  So if you've got a 9.8 Usagi Yojimbo 1 you can expect to pay more to wait longer than if you have a 9.4.  That is not how they say it should work.

Edited by sfcityduck

6 minutes ago, sfcityduck said:

I agree with you that a grading company should strive to be consistent (although they will fail on occassion).  That is what they are selling.  But that a grading company should strive to be consistent with its own grading standards does not mean that grading is objective, especially when there are other grading companies and dealers and collectors etc. who adhere to different standards.  As I noted above, no one has sent grading standards down from the heavens on stone tablets.  Heck, CGC hasn't even published a comprehensive and detailed stone tablet.  I hope that they have an internal publication they use for training.  I suspect that CGC might find itself getting some management consultation under the new ownership that will help iron out some of the internal problems that CGC has been having in keeping up with demand.

Well lets just then leave this at a good place to end this conversation on an agreement. :tink:

BTW I am sure Black Stone will allow CGC to be more aggressive with hiring and training, but they need to be the right graders not just bodies in a chair giving 8.0's to 9.0 books.  That helps no one. 

Peace out

Edited by NewWorldOrder

Good timing. My popcorn from like 3 pages ago just ran out. 

6 minutes ago, Mecha_Fantastic said:

Good timing. My popcorn from like 3 pages ago just ran out. 

You're funny haha

For me this is just my daily normal banter. (shrug)

10 years ago it was much more popcorn here on the boards.

Edited by NewWorldOrder

I gotcha... 

Thank you, sir. This gives me an opportunity to interject a couple of random thoughts...

It's true there is going to be a certain margin of error when grading comics; 'tis the nature of the beast. That's one of the reasons CGC uses multiple graders. It's also why there are different experience levels assigned to different tiers. Another thing to keep in mind is that the finalizer in any given category has the final say in the grade. So no matter what the other graders think, the finalizer ultimately bears the weight of arriving at what he or she feels is the best grade for any given book. 

Until the machines completely take over, this is likely the way it's going to be. I hope this helps...  :foryou:

Also rumor is that they have new technology that is grading modern comics. It does a scan of the book and determines the defects. Hence the tighter grading

11 minutes ago, jsilverjanet said:

I think the issue (with hiring) is that who in their right mind would want to move to Sarasota Florida

Sarasota is really nice. (shrug)

Plus you are close to Disneyworld, and super close to Tampa (new sports title town) & St Pete!

14 minutes ago, jsilverjanet said:

I think the issue (with hiring) is that who in their right mind would want to move to Sarasota Florida

I think I am putting my plans together to leave NY in 3,274 more days. 

Florida is on the list.