• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Does CGC really give priority by tiers? Doesn't look that way to me.
2 2

235 posts in this topic

Just now, sfcityduck said:

The value cap on Modern was upped to $400 in April.  The price for Economy is 50% less than Economy.  They are not the same tier now and they were not the same tier prior to the April 2021 change.  Yet, Economy books are being graded up to 41% slower than Modern books, even if submitted prior to April.  That is messed up given CGC's statement that higher tiers will have priority.  What other conclusion can be drawn?

Better not edit for self-serving deletion!

2 minutes ago, theCapraAegagrus said:

There is no thread of conversation other than you persisting to argue for nothing other than argument's sake. The original question has been answered. There is no value difference, and therefor there is no priority to either tier.

One final identification of an error in your argument.  You assert that CGC deterines priority of tiers based on the value cap.  But what CGC actually said, as quoted in my first post is: "We are working on a first-in, first-out basis with higher grading tiers prioritized."  "Higher tiers," not higher Value cap tiers.  Economy is a HIGHER PRICED tier, and you're Freudian slip post up above (since edited but presered by the magic of quotes) got it right that higher price means higher tier.

1 minute ago, sfcityduck said:

One final identification of an error in your argument.  You assert that CGC deterines priority of tiers based on the value cap.  But what CGC actually said, as quoted in my first post is: "We are working on a first-in, first-out basis with higher grading tiers prioritized."  "Higher tiers," not higher Value cap tiers.  Economy is a HIGHER PRICED tier, and you're Freudian slip post up above (since edited but presered by the magic of quotes) got it right that higher price means higher tier.

They don't say "higher priced", either. Economy and Modern are separated by year, not service level. (thumbsu

2 minutes ago, theCapraAegagrus said:

They don't say "higher priced", either. Economy and Modern are separated by year, not service level. (thumbsu

Begging the question:  Why is CGC charging a higher price for lesser service?  As I said before, that is messed up.  Especially since the higher price implies a higher tier (as did the higher Value limit prior to April 21, 2021 which was after the date of submission for books still at CGC).  

2 minutes ago, sfcityduck said:

Begging the question:  Why is CGC charging a higher price for lesser service?  As I said before, that is messed up.  Especially since the higher price implies a higher tier (as did the higher Value limit prior to April 21, 2021 which was after the date of submission for books still at CGC).  

Ask CGC

I gave you the 'logical assumption' (if there ever was one) regarding the difference in average time taken to grade the different age groups. You're not going to get a direct answer in Comics General.

9 minutes ago, theCapraAegagrus said:

And, to be clear, when CGC announced the new pricing, they did not separate any of the tiers by "service level."  They put them in a chart.  The chart runs from Modern (the lowest priced tier) to Walkthrough (the highest priced tier) with no differentiation in "service level" (whatever that may mean).  The clear implication is that Modern is the lowest tier and Walkthrough is the highest with all other tiers prioritized by where they are on the contiuum.  The ordering is by price.

Edited by sfcityduck

What are you all talking about? Economy isn’t a higher tier than Modern. It’s very simple, say I have a New Mutants 98 Id like to send in. Can I pay more to send it on the “higher” tier of economy? No I can’t because it came out after 1975. If you want Economy to be treated as a higher tier you have to allow it to handle all books regardless of the age. Otherwise it’s not a “higher” tier than Modern it is just a completely different category of books.

It’s like saying Magazine Modern is a higher tier than Comic Modern because it costs more. No, they are handling entirely different categories of items.

In any event, I think Matt will make some progress on this problem.  I assume that he was promoted to ensure that the operation runs smoother and more professionally for the new ownership.

1 minute ago, wiparker824 said:

What are you all talking about? Economy isn’t a higher tier than Modern. It’s very simple, say I have a New Mutants 98 Id like to send in. Can I pay more to send it on the “higher” tier of economy? No I can’t because it came out after 1975. If you want Economy to be treated as a higher tier you have to allow it to handle all books regardless of the age. Otherwise it’s not a “higher” tier than Modern it is just a completely different category of books.

It’s like saying Magazine Modern is a higher tier than Comic Modern because it costs more. No, they are handling entirely different categories of items.

Magazines are a different category, like Baseball cards and concert posters.  

I'm getting a bit bored of repeating this, but Economy and Modern are different tiers.  And until April, Modern comics worth more than $200 went to the higher Economy tier (valued cap of $400).  And what is being graded right now?  Here's a hint: CGC says they are only up to opening boxes shipped in May.  So the Economy comics right now being passed up for grading by Modern comics are losing out to a lesser priced and lesser value capped tier.  Them's the facts.

3 minutes ago, sfcityduck said:

In any event, I think Matt will make some progress on this problem.  I assume that he was promoted to ensure that the operation runs smoother and more professionally for the new ownership.

Magazines are a different category, like Baseball cards and concert posters.  

I'm getting a bit bored of repeating this, but Economy and Modern are different tiers.  And until April, Modern comics worth more than $200 went to the higher Economy tier (valued cap of $400).  And what is being graded right now?  Here's a hint: CGC says they are only up to opening boxes shipped in May.  So the Economy comics right now being passed up for grading by Modern comics are losing out to a lesser priced and lesser value capped tier.  Them's the facts.

Comics from 1975 and up and Comics below 1975 are different categories too. It sounds like you just disagree with how CGC categorizes items, which is fine but you can’t call Economy a premium tier of Modern when I can’t submit a book on that premium tier even if I’m willing to pay the premium fee because the book I am trying to submit isn’t in the CATEGORY of 1975 and below and therefore isn’t eligible.

2 minutes ago, wiparker824 said:

Comics from 1975 and up and Comics below 1975 are different categories too. 

They are different tiers of the comic category.  Baseball cards and magazines are a different category from comics.

4 minutes ago, wiparker824 said:

you can’t call Economy a premium tier of Modern when I can’t submit a book on that premium tier even if I’m willing to pay the premium fee because the book I am trying to submit isn’t in the CATEGORY of 1975 and below and therefore isn’t eligible.

I'm not calling Economy a premium tier of Modern.  I'm calling it a "higher tier" on the continuum of tiers based on its higher price and, until April 2021, higher Value limit (and up until April 2021 - and books before that are still being graded - you could have submitted a modern under the Economy tier).

14 minutes ago, Buzz Cola said:

Bingo. He just likes hearing the sound of his own voice. Check out some of his past arguments :facepalm:

Here's one, check it out:

Edited by sfcityduck

4 minutes ago, Buzz Cola said:

Books that are considered higher tiers that have priority are Walk Thru and Express only. I know this because those are the only two tiers that they tell you to write WK or EX all over the outside of the box.

Screenshot_20210713-103023.thumb.png.cf4fb54a5a9456cd6a6cfa7c4c5536b9.png

Thanks for providing that.  But, CGC has never stated they are the only tiers that get priority in the grading process, just that they are the only tiers that will get priority in the opening of packages.  CGC does provide priority to Standard over Economy and Modern for grading as well.  

1 minute ago, Buzz Cola said:

And they've never not stated they are the only tiers that get priority. Who cares?

CGC says this:

We understand that some of you are disappointed that your turnaround time is longer than expected. Our posted turnaround times are our best estimates, but a variety of factors — including many outside of our control — can impact the actual turnaround time. We are working on a first-in, first-out basis with higher grading tiers prioritized.

And I think many of us care about TATs.

To follow up on that post - CGC said:

"We are working on a first-in, first-out basis with higher grading tiers prioritized."

Even if Economy and Modern are the same level of tier, "first-in, first-out" means that Economy books submitted before Moderns (e.g. "first-in") should be graded before the subsequently submitted Moderns (e.g. the Economy should be "first-out").  But, the TATs on Moderns are faster.  That suggest that CGC should be shifting graders from Moderns to Economy to ensure that the "first-in" Economy really do get "first-out."   Especially since smart businesses make representations they can live up to.

I think Matt, a GA guy, will make this right.  

22 minutes ago, Gaard said:

A few questions...

1) Which of these comics takes longer to grade, and why?

2) Which of these comics cost more to grade, and why?

3) Which of these comics has a TAT that is much slower than the other, and why?

154.jpg

153.jpg

The #153 should take a little longer to grade because it is a touch larger. Bigger book = longer time to grade i.e. more surface area to look over for grade.

32 minutes ago, Gaard said:

A few questions...

1) Which of these comics takes longer to grade, and why?

2) Which of these comics cost more to grade, and why?

3) Which of these comics has a TAT that is much slower than the other, and why?

154.jpg

153.jpg

Counter-offer:

• Which of these comics takes longer to grade, and why?
  • Which of these comics cost more to grade, and why?

http://www.thehistoryblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/08/Action1_Cover.pngAction Comics #1000 (Note Price): Amazon.com: Books

Edited by theCapraAegagrus

33 minutes ago, theCapraAegagrus said:

Counter-offer:

• Which of these comics takes longer to grade, and why?
  • Which of these comics cost more to grade, and why?

Action Comics 1 is not eligible for Economy grading.  But, setting aside the extra time an Action 1 might get in the grading process because of its historical significance and high value, it might take less time to grade than the Action 1000 depending upon the grading increments which are in play.  But, in any event, differences in grading time should be irrelevant in a true "first-in, first-out" set up because grading time should slow down the whole line (Modern and Economy if they are equal tiers), not just the Economy books (unless it really isn't "first-in").

Edited by sfcityduck