• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Greatest OA in existence

154 posts in this topic

4 minutes ago, Bronty said:

again, the interiors did get some damage.  but my understanding is they were restored.

And GSX1 cover is on CAF.

You'll notice that her statement doesn't specifically address the H181 cover.   "Story" is ambiguous at the very least but I think she's referring to the interiors, not the cover.

Ok.

However, the 181 cover is not confirmed to exist
. If we are talking about all art that is not confirmed extant than it would dwarfed by the value of Action #1 and Detective #27.

BTW at the time Mr Wein did not want it know what he truly owned out of fear.

Edited by MAR1979

1 minute ago, MAR1979 said:

Ok.

However, the 181 cover is not confirmed to exist
. If we are talking about all art that not confirmed extant than it would dwarfed by the value of Action #1 and Detective #27.

I mean, I haven't seen it and you haven't seen it, but I've heard from a very credible source its been offered around to collectors privately going back 2-3 years.

We haven't seen a HA auction for it, okay, but it exists.

7 minutes ago, Chicago Boy said:

I was leaning towards impressive.  AF 15 for obvious reasons.  Any interior art from the first Marvel comic (yet a Namor and the only piece known to exist  is so very cool) and the earliest Superman cover is why those are my top 3.  Lots of cool silver age stuff out there from what I know

The trouble with 'impressive' is that it is also subjective.

Someone will answer SPider-ham #3 is the 'most impressive to them' because it was their first comic blah blah blah, no one cares.

I don't like boiling things down to (financial) value only, but artistic value is too subjective.

Edited by Bronty

Just now, Bronty said:

I mean, I haven't seen it and you haven't seen it, but I've heard from a very credible source its been offered around to collectors privately going back 2-3 years.

We haven't seen a HA auction for it, okay, but it exists.

Until proof is demonstrated then it might as well be Action #1 :)   Also I don't understand the true topic ask anyhow :)

1 minute ago, MAR1979 said:

Until proof is demonstrated then it might as well be Action #1 :)   Also I don't understand the true topic ask anyhow :)

No, because one is known by credible people to exist, and the other is not.   But okay, if you require a jpg, I can't help you.    Still, the question was "in existence" not "in existence with a jpg verified by MAR1979" ;)

The OQ was not well phrased, I agree.  

3 hours ago, adamstrange said:

They might disagree, but they'd be wrong. :sumo:

Buscema was on fire for SS 4, not just the cover, but the entire book.  It was the first time where he let loose and drew in a way that utilized what he learned from Kirby, but channeled through his own artistic sensibility.  Unfortunately, Stan expressed concern with the result, and Buscema lost confidence and pulled back from that approach.  

I always preferred SS#3 over the rest of the series.

I know someone who has seen the cover to Action 1. He was a long time art collector and dealer from California who went to the first SD cons before joining the Air Force (left as a colonel I believe) and eventually becoming a lawyer who practices to this day. He is not just some random guy but someone I know and trust. He told me where he saw it, showed some evidence (tangential to be fair) that it was there at the time. This is a man who knows art and what it looks like and he claims this was it. I have no reason to not believe him. 

So the cover to Action 1 is the greatest to me.

6 hours ago, adamstrange said:

They might disagree, but they'd be wrong. :sumo:

Buscema was on fire for SS 4, not just the cover, but the entire book.  It was the first time where he let loose and drew in a way that utilized what he learned from Kirby, but channeled through his own artistic sensibility.  Unfortunately, Stan expressed concern with the result, and Buscema lost confidence and pulled back from that approach.  

Adam showing the love for Journ Buscema!  :applause:

3 hours ago, Bronty said:

Someone will answer SPider-ham #3 is the 'most impressive to them' because it was their first comic blah blah blah, no one cares.

IMHO Spider-ham #8 cover is better than ham #3 but TMNT #1 1984 original art cover is 'most impressive' to those that grew up with the cartoon, action figures, movies, comics and underoos.

6 hours ago, batman_fan said:

Would love to know what the two Ditko Spiderman covers are :wishluck:

I thought the original artwork to Archie 1 existed.

I would think Silver Surfer 4 cover would fit the list

Batman 11 cover definitely goes on the list

Detective 69 (I thought I saw this one exists)

Spidey 28 is one of the original Ditko covers known to exist.  I should have a jpg of it.

Splash page to Archie 1 definitely exists but I haven't heard about the cover.

Tec'69 Cover exists -- saved by Jerry Robinson.

Edited by adamstrange

5 hours ago, Bronty said:

The trouble with 'impressive' is that it is also subjective.

I don't like boiling things down to (financial) value only, but artistic value is too subjective.

Well...it is his thread...and he has clarified...

Edited by pemart1966

5 hours ago, Chicago Boy said:

I was leaning towards impressive.  AF 15 for obvious reasons.  Any interior art from the first Marvel comic (yet a Namor and the only piece known to exist  is so very cool) and the earliest Superman cover is why those are my top 3.  Lots of cool silver age stuff out there from what I know

I thought as much.  Otherwise you would have said "most valuable" in your thread title.

1 hour ago, adamstrange said:

Splash page to Archie 1 definitely exists but I haven't heard about the cover.

Ancient memory here, so maybe wrong or off but...I thought that Geppi sold Montana Archie #1 cover to Bechara for $50,000 or maybe the other way around or maybe they jointly owned and were marketing it for $50,000? Something like that.

27 minutes ago, vodou said:

Ancient memory here, so maybe wrong or off but...I thought that Geppi sold Montana Archie #1 cover to Bechara for $50,000 or maybe the other way around or maybe they jointly owned and were marketing it for $50,000? Something like that.

Geppi purchased Montana's art from the family (later subject of a lawsuit with an interesting question/answer session of Geppi), so that might have been among the pieces.